CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Tire Suggestions? (experts only please)

Old 12-01-2011, 05:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Suggestions? (experts only please)

Please only respond if you have pleanty of experience with various tires on the CBR1000f.

Intended use & requirements: Mostly open road, road trips (not so much curvy roads in Montana and a fair amount of rough...pourous, concrete roads). I plan on a few longer spring / summer road trips. I don't mind changing tires at lower miles in exchange for better grip (especially in wet). Moderate price is good.

Previous tires used:
Dunlop D208, D207 (I think)...the front cupped bad towards the end but they seemed to grip well all around and I liked the ride. I liked the profile as it didn't fall too quickly into the corners, more mellow. I think i had a 180 on the back.

Current tires (worn out):
Continentail Road Attack (120/170). When I first got these tires I noticed how they dropped into corners...they were a little more rounded so to speak vs the dunlops. I prefer a more mellow, slower drop into the corners. These tires never seemed as grippy as the dunlops and I noticed they felt greasier especially on the crack patches on the highway.

So for those of you that have tried numerous tires only...what would you recommend for sticky, good in wet, moderate tire life (currently do about 4000-6000 mi per yr now as winter hinders more miles in MT). FYI - I end up with chicken strips if it helps the suggestions...

Suggestions?

Old 12-01-2011, 07:19 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Michelin Power Pure

Excellent tire for grip, wet or dry. very good on the twisties too. I got 3500 miles out of mine, mostly highway riding.

I have these on this year. Hoping to get more miles out of them since I have been riding more highway miles, than twistis.

Michelin Pilot Road 3 Tires

Old 12-01-2011, 08:04 PM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting

Hey:

Just to let you know, the expert thing almost put me off from responding to this, but I figured since you were asking for help, I would reply. I think I am up to the level to give advice just as much as anyone else on here and feel with over 385,000 miles between just 2 bikes a 1988 Honda CBR1000F and a 1980 Honda CBX 1000/6, plus I have owned many other bikes in the past, and have worked, ridden, and raced at many levels, I will volunteer My Humble Opinion. Alot has changed in tires over the years, and really you should be concerned what is out there now that will fill your requirements not what has been good in the past. I understand not wanting info from somebody who has ridden for one week and wants to tell you that they think you should only buy tyre a, like the one on their bike but they may offer some advice nobody else has and may be able to help you as well, now that is done and off the soapbox, I say get some Shinko 009 Ravens. The 009 is the best tire to me for the performance and price End of Story. I run them now and will be going to my 3rd set soon. I also like Metzelers but they are more like the Conti's in feel. They (Metzelers M1,M3, M5, Z8, & Racetecs) are on My CBX, Race and other bikes. My other CBR1000F has Avon Storms on it now. They are also very good tires for all weather performance. But no other tyre offers the value of the Ravens. Go with 120/70 17 front and 180/55 17 rear or (170/60 17 rear if you want to stay with the stock recommendations)

https://store.58cycle.com/category_s...show=20&page=2

You may be able to get better prices searching the net for them as deals are to be had right now.

I should also state I do not like Dunlops or Bridgestone tyres any more, but do like Michelins too just no longer use them due to the price of the Shinkos.

Dub

Last edited by CBR1988; 12-01-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by CBR1988
Hey:

Just to let you know, the expert thing almost put me off from responding to this, but I figured since you were asking for help, I would reply. I think I am up to the level to give advice just as much as anyone else on here and feel with over 385,000 miles between just 2 bikes a 1988 Honda CBR1000F and a 1980 Honda CBX 1000/6, plus I have owned many other bikes in the past, and have worked, ridden, and raced at many levels, I will volunteer My Humble Opinion. Alot has changed in tires over the years, and really you should be concerned what is out there now that will fill your requirements not what has been good in the past. I understand not wanting info from somebody who has ridden for one week and wants to tell you that they think you should only buy tyre a, like the one on their bike but they may offer some advice nobody else has and may be able to help you as well, now that is done and off the soapbox, I say get some Shinko 009 Ravens. The 009 is the best tire to me for the performance and price End of Story. I run them now and will be going to my 3rd set soon. I also like Metzelers but they are more like the Conti's in feel. They (Metzelers M1,M3, M5, Z8, & Racetecs) are on My CBX, Race and other bikes. My other CBR1000F has Avon Storms on it now. They are also very good tires for all weather performance. But no other tyre offers the value of the Ravens. Go with 120/70 17 front and 180/55 17 rear or (170/60 17 rear if you want to stay with the stock recommendations)

https://store.58cycle.com/category_s...show=20&page=2

You may be able to get better prices searching the net for them as deals are to be had right now.

Dub
I do appreciate your response...to clarify the "expert" part of the post I just wanted to hear from folks that had enough experience with various different tires on this bike to know the differences. I know there are a handful on this forum (like yourself) with the number of miles and experience with different tires to give me a good recommendation based on the kind of driving (and conditions) I'm trying to work with. I like a spirited ride like most but one thing of concern is the greasiness and wet cornering situations. I just wanted to get the most knowledgeable responses... that's all. Thx for taking the time to respond.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:00 PM

Hey:

Rino, Thanks I do get it and just hate the over use of labels like so called experts. Maybe a bit of overeaction about it on my part. I hope if you decide to go with the Shinkos they work very well for you.

Also the reason I no longer use Bridgestones or Dunlops they do not last here in the heat.
I think my time in UK and Europe is closer to your WX conditions there. The Avons worked very well in colder WX. My Shinkos work well here but I have not used them in colder WX conditions below 39 degress. But have used them in 110 degree heat plus. This may make a big difference in how your tyres perform and feel to you. Good luck with your choice.

Dub

Old 12-02-2011, 12:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Dub about the "expert" thing... Everybody on here is an expert IMO .

Anyhow, I've settled on the Michelin Pilot Road tyres for mine. Tried a few others and like the feel plus they wear well and are awesome in the wet!!. I'm yet to find a front tyre that doesn't cup on these bikes.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:56 AM

Rino,

Unlike many many other forums, ALL the guys on here are mature, dont take cheap shots behind a keyboard, and are very helpful. I'm a member of about 8 different forums for various hobbies, and this is the only forum I never have to worry about someone getting out of line or giving opinions on something they know nothing about. Love the guys on this forum! (I think they are all old men like me! LOL)

As far as opinions on a tire, just listen to the other guys. I wont give my opinion because I cant help you. My need in a tire is much different than yours and I only run one brand on both my bikes and it fits my needs perfectly.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by davethepom
I agree with Dub about the "expert" thing... Everybody on here is an expert IMO .

Anyhow, I've settled on the Michelin Pilot Road tyres for mine. Tried a few others and like the feel plus they wear well and are awesome in the wet!!. I'm yet to find a front tyre that doesn't cup on these bikes.
....guess this "expert" word ranks up there with answering my wife if she asks if she looks fat in an outfit...LOL

Example: years ago Dad, in his "worldly wisdom" solved our problem of bicycle (not motorcycle) squealing brake pads by spraying WD-40 on the pads. It worked WONDERFULLY, stopping any squealing and after about 3 chilling runs down our hill (with minimal breaking power) the WD-40 was marginally warn off and the breaking power started to "reappear". In later years when I started racing bikes and worked at a bike shop I learned how to properly adjust toe in to rid the bike of the sqeal without WD-40. Yes...everyone is an expert but I just wanted to query those that might have experience with a few brands, say 3 or 4 and have first-hand experience with the differences. My motorcycle tire experience is limited to 3 brands over 2 bikes....I'm far from an expert hence my inquiry. But...if any pedal bikers in the group want to know the best tires It would be a Vittoria CX...with lemon juice spread on it for the wet race days

What about the Dunlop Sportmax Q2? thoughts guys? One of the things I'm looking for is little slower tip drop in. For me they seem to fit my riding style a bit better...long slow twisties good...quick flip flop back and forth not so much

Old 12-02-2011, 09:46 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pilot road 2 - 13000 KM - no chicken strips
Bridgestone BT 020 - 15000 KM - ditto
BT021 - 19500 KM - ditto again
Metzeler Z6 - so far 7000 KM's no sign of wear.
all 180/120 f and R
All used between -4C and 45C air temps, no idea of the tar temps
A good mix of high speed freeway, twisty backroads and town crawl...

All "cup" the front tyre after a while due to the balance of the bike.
The Metzelers "fall" into corners quicker than the others.Take a little longer to warm up than the others.
Next set will be PR3's I think.
Never used Shinko - don't have a good name here due to "greasy" in the rain and cold.
All were good in the wet (to my standard, but then I won't go much over 140 KPH in the wet)
Take from this what you find relevant.
I'm no expert, sorry.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Shadow
Pilot road 2 - 13000 KM - no chicken strips
Bridgestone BT 020 - 15000 KM - ditto
BT021 - 19500 KM - ditto again
Metzeler Z6 - so far 7000 KM's no sign of wear.
all 180/120 f and R
All used between -4C and 45C air temps, no idea of the tar temps
A good mix of high speed freeway, twisty backroads and town crawl...

All "cup" the front tyre after a while due to the balance of the bike.
The Metzelers "fall" into corners quicker than the others.Take a little longer to warm up than the others.
Next set will be PR3's I think.
Never used Shinko - don't have a good name here due to "greasy" in the rain and cold.
All were good in the wet (to my standard, but then I won't go much over 140 KPH in the wet)
Take from this what you find relevant.
I'm no expert, sorry.

Hey:

I was wondering if the Shinkos were a hot WX tire, thats why I gave that second reply.
My buds in Southern Fla, Tucson, AZ, and, LV, Nev, all speak highly of them, while my bud in Upstate NY don't like them as much and went back to Avons. In the last summer they have worn like steel but still had a very good grip even in the hot Summer rains. I was 1st turned on to them while living in Qatar in daily 125 F + air temps, 140-150 F road temps as they were the only tire that would last and were on my 99 CBR 1000F I purchased there. I inquired about them at the local track and found a bunch of guys using them, even on the drag strip. They hook up great on the strip, even on high HP bikes, but then again it was hot there. I guess I'll find out more this Winter as I'll be riding that bike and the CBR with Avons more this year since I'll be home and not overseas to compare them.

Dub

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire Suggestions? (experts only please)