CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Carb Replacement

Old 05-12-2013, 10:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb Replacement

Hi guys,

Just purchased a 1999 Honda CBR1000f. The carb assembly was off the bike and I am trying to put it together. I know from reading on here that they can be a pig to get back on. The rubbers connected to the engine are pretty hard (don't know if that normal) but at £43 each i don't really want to get new ones. Also 2 vent pipes at the top of the carbs don't know the proper route for them. I would love to post a picture to explain but cant seem to. Dont know if thats because I am newbie

Thanks

Old 05-12-2013, 10:41 AM
Welcome Crew

welcome

warm the rubbers up with a hair dryer to soften them up a very small amount of washing up liquid can help as lubrication
not sure on your vent pipe route, but someone will be along to help.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:22 PM

As far as getting the carburetors back on the bike try getting them attached to the airbox side first and tighten the clamps, then mount onto the engine side. Push onto the airbox towards the engine to get the carbs seated. This probably isn't the proper way to do it but the only way I have been able to. Download the service manual here https://cbrforum.com/forum/workshop-...f-format-4952/ open up the PDF to page 37 maybe that will help you with the routing of the vents.

Last edited by jordonsk; 05-12-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:44 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jordonsk
As far as getting the carburetors back on the bike try getting them attached to the airbox side first and tighten the clamps, then mount onto the engine side. Push onto the airbox towards the engine to get the carbs seated. This probably isn't the proper way to do it but the only way I have been able to. Download the service manual here https://cbrforum.com/forum/workshop-...f-format-4952/ open up the PDF to page 37 maybe that will help you with the routing of the vents.
I do the opposite of this method, lube up the carb boots and use a short length of timber to push them on, one side at a time, tightening the clamps as you go. Have the bike on the centre stand and be sure to chock the front wheel, you don't want to push it off the stand

Once you've done it a few times, you'll have 'em on and off in double quick time

Old 05-12-2013, 05:28 PM

Getting the carbs in can be a real bitch, just keep at it and make sure the boots are lubed with something. You'll know when everything gets in right.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:27 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hawks on the money as usual - and me too I never attach the airbox - it's always
last with me- a handy lube for this job is "hand sanitizer" gel lightly coated inside the
boots - makes them slicker than hell .... also get the right most carb lined up first
them wiggle them up / down and push them in, in a right to left manner - they'll
go in push hard

my 2 cents - I'm always chasing the Hawk - man

Old 05-13-2013, 02:07 AM

Thanks for all the advice guys. Made this newbie most welcome.

I eventually went for the wife's hairdryer and plenty lube. Right hand carb in first as suggested then wiggled the rest in.

I am also a bit further forward with my 2 vent pipes from the top of the carbs. As they are on pivots they were turned up and came out over the top of the airbox. Looking at the service manual they head down the way (under the carbs). After that, the 'natural' route is round the SIDE of the airbox and then into a channel in front of the battery box? Is that set-up familiar to anyone?

Old 05-13-2013, 04:15 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013
Old 05-13-2013, 10:04 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is that set-up familiar to anyone?

It is. You can run without the lines and simply aim the T's back and down at a 70 degree
angle - my 93 & 87 - I left them off , only gets to be an issue in super wet weather & even
then it would be an achievement to get water infiltration in them

Old 05-14-2013, 03:20 AM

Thanks again HenryM. That's a bit cheaper than £43 each from Honda.

Worth considering at that price!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Carb Replacement