CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Tire Size for 1987 CBR1000f

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 12:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Size for 1987 CBR1000f

Can anyone please let know what is the largest Tire size I can install on my bike. It's a 1987 CBR 1000f.
Front and Back ( with the standard rims)

thanks in advance

Old 01-21-2010, 01:41 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Old 01-23-2010, 12:05 AM

thanks for the quick links but since I am new to this, I need to ask another questions about tires for a 1987 CBR 1000F.
I saw in one of the links that you gave me that someone actually mentioned that he put bigger tires then i expected for my bike model.
here are the 2 tires I am looking at can anyone please give me their advise if they will fit on my stoke rims.
Michelin Pilot Power Rear Tire - 160/60ZR17 69w
Michelin Pilot Power Front Tire- 120/70ZR17 58W
and would anyone know if they would mess up my speedometer?

Old 01-23-2010, 03:58 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can but 160 is pushing it - why don't you buy a wider rear rim from the later model and a spacer, and you can go to 180 comfortably.120 front is fine.
Those tyres won't mess up your speedo (it already runs about 10% high)
Those tyres will give you good grip, but the Michelin Pilot Road 2 or the Bridgestone BT021 will give you better mileage, and not much less grip.
The Hurri is a heavy bike...................

Old 01-24-2010, 09:31 PM

Shadow, can you please let me know what I have to do to put a 180 rear tire on my bike please

Old 01-24-2010, 10:19 PM

buy a wider rear rim from the later model and a spacer, and you can go to a 180 tyre
Maybe someone on here with an 87/88 is better qualified to answer your question in greater detail............................The rim size changed in '89.
There are history threads on it too.........................

Default RE: wheel? widder?
Yes, you can install a wider set of wheels (front and rear) from say a 1000f early 90's and they will fit in the 87 front fork and rear swing arm. I did it about 5 years ago and it works great! I HIGHLY recommend changing both the front and rear wheel though as they are matched for road contact area. Changing just one may result it an odd handling characteristic at certain lean angles. Not fun!

Mods you'll need to do are simple:

• Change the wheel spacer sizes left and right
• Bend the rear brake caliper upper arm to fit around new wheel.
• Lose the rear inner fender ( tire won't fit into it)

I used the 87 rear wheel cush drive and sprocket without problem.

Biggest thing you' probably need to do for the front wheel change is the speedo cable and front sprocket cover as the newer wheel does not have the speedo cable input. Honda moved it to the front sprocket cover. An early 90's sprocket cover should fit as well.

I went to a bicycle digital speedo/Odometer/Tripometer. Works like a champ and is more accurate and was less hassle.

Drop me a line if you have questions. I'll try to answer what I can. It's been a while since I did it.

Stephen

Last edited by Shadow; 01-24-2010 at 10:54 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by melacur99
Shadow, can you please let me know what I have to do to put a 180 rear tire on my bike please
Hi. You could do as I did to my 88fj. Get a swing arm suspension unit caliper and caliper mount + wheel and rear fender +chain guard from an 89fk onwards. in short a complete rear end. it bolts straight on in place of yours. Looks really smart, dont know what the handling is like yet. I`ve still got a few more jobs to do on it yet

Old 01-25-2010, 12:01 PM

Melacur,

If you want to contact me, I have done a lot of modifications on my bike and as Pete or anyone here they will tell you I know my way around a cbr1000f... And on top of it I live 10 minutes from your place so it yours to take advantage of my experience.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:06 PM

Hey Carl !
Good to see you again, mon fre'r !
Glad you found this one - I was hoping you would jump in.......

Old 01-25-2010, 07:19 PM

Hi Pete

Yes quite busy, gym sport kids wife Work....showing the edest on how to drive a manual...next is how to ride a mortorcycle! Melacur for the tire size if on stock rim 150 is the max in the back and 110 in front , if you go beyond there a chance the tire might not be properly seated with the consequences it could bring, not only you tire will have an odd shape as if it was pinched and handling will greatly suffer.

I did the mod myself if you look at my tread history you will find everything you need to know.

One word of advice rear right spacer is not available from Honda anymore, you need to use the stck spacer with 4 1mm washers , preferably aluminum. Works great on mine and the handling does not suffer at all from what i have seen.

On the front, you will need to get the sproket cover of an 92+ model as well as the speedo cable, because you need to change the left side spacer. the spacer are about 10$ each and the speedo is about 10$ as well, the cover yu can get on ebay for 20$ to 60 , tom from toronto is parting out is bike, you may get everything really at one place and he is reliable, if you wish i can give you is email address. or look in the part section of the forum. you may get the wheels from him too maybe. A great Honda dealler i found is Hamel in St-eustache. A for the tires I Always buy them at Ami sprt in chomeyde they are incredible.

Tire wise on an 87 if you go wide rims, iran brigestones bt-21 dual compounds an avon tire, i find i had more feedback with the avons and the handling in the rain wow!

For the shop manual, i have an oiginal fr the 87-88 from honda so if you need info just let me know. you have my hotmal adress in my profile.

next mod are the Buell rearsets which i am working on this week-end as I am starting to prepare the bike for the next season.

My 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Tire Size for 1987 CBR1000f