CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Does anyone have an old tank, any condition

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 08:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone have an old tank, any condition

I just need one I can cut apart and see exactly how the venting system works, ie. where the vent holes are. I think mine may be partially blocked from tank coating and causing issues.

I can't afford to pay much except for shipping and handling.

Thanks in advance for all ur help and support.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:30 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I seem to recall Pete (Shadow), had a lot of problems with his tank venting after he had it coated . Might be an idea to ask him?

Old 01-18-2010, 09:31 PM

Thanks for the info. I have run wire in the tube from the outside of the tank, but the suspected problem is in the tank.
There is a piece attached to the top of the tank and to that tube from the center outside of the tank. It appears to have some holes in the piece that looks to be 1/4 thick by 2" X3"little box. I know one hole is open, but could not see the others.
I suspect that when on the side stand fuel is getting into this "small box" and going into the vent line, and blocking air/vent flow. If I park it on the center stand I never have a problem. but sometime using the center stand is not practical.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:16 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tomttt
If I park it on the center stand I never have a problem.
Venting has nothing to do with this. If the venting were plugged, nothing would come out as you would have a vacuum head. Like water in a water dispenser, nothing comes out.

https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/need-some-ideas-reguarding-fuel-leaking-not-again-104962/

Old 01-19-2010, 11:21 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I hate to have to semi-disagree with my old and esteemed colleague TBT but you will get a little flow, due to the vacuum from the carbs pulling what's in the pipes into the motor.(Mine did, and ran for quite a while but eventually died) It sounds like the vent is blocked, at least partially like mine was. When you open the tank you get a helluva whoooof, as the vacuum releases)
I replaced my vent by drilling under the lip of the rhs tank lid, and fitting a curved (into a U shaped tube), which I epoxied into place. Works perfectly
I used a vets syringe needle which believe it or not you CAN bend into a U shape if you're careful. The inside (tip) should be fitted almost touching the roof of the tank.
If you need more pics let me know

The tank now vents through this needle, and the overflow on the other side.....
Of course you have to remove the tank, drain all the petrol and let it stand open to let vapour dissipate before drilling the hole for the needle.I ran a vacuum cleaner hose into the tank as well, to reduce chances of vapour) when drilling.This is a really cheap fix and you have a vent which you can work on.
Needle cost was about 30c as I recall from my local farmer's co-op. !.5mm (maybe 40 thou for you imperial wizards) thickness I think. If you can't get one I bought two, so can send you one.

Attached Thumbnails Does anyone have an old tank, any condition-s1050022.jpg  

Last edited by Shadow; 01-20-2010 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:47 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadow
Mine did, and ran for quite a while but eventually died
Well, that's what happens when the ol' vacuum sits on top of the fuel. I don't think you would be running at 130 mph for to long.
There is also another problem here, the bike leaks fuel when only on the side stand. I posted in the other thread that he needs to check the plugs after hard starting without the bike actually running, for wetness. This would help to determine if the bowl levels are to high. Tomttt stated that he thinks the bike may be flooding when cold starting.

Either way, when he encounters the problem he needs to remove the plugs to check them. Dry plugs would help to prove that there is a vacuum lock caused by poor venting. Wet plugs would point to flooding issues and leaking carbs when on the sidestand.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:34 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All true, TBT- I don't have a main stand, but I'd be thinking left side carb float valve.
I still think there are two areas to check on the leak
1 The main fuel feed, at the connection to the fuel petcock
2 Check for leakage under the fuel tank heat shield, from the welded plate in front where the tank bolts up.
I have had both problems.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:20 PM
RIP "The Baron of Bronson"

Originally Posted by hawkwind
I seem to recall Pete (Shadow), had a lot of problems with his tank venting after he had it coated . Might be an idea to ask him?
Hey Hawk (or Pete) what do you mean by "coated" like a paint job? I haven't put mine back together yet, but am I gonna have issues after doing this paint? Like paint getting in the vent. Unfortunately I'm at work and can't see it, but I never really noticed the vent (or something close to it) when I removed the gas cap prior to sending it to the painter. Hope he taped it and had a better eye than me....

Old 01-21-2010, 09:06 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike, they are talking about coating the inside of the tank. Like for rust.
I think you should be ok.

Quick Reply: Does anyone have an old tank, any condition