CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Throttle return tension

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 04:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle return tension

How much return tension do you have on the throttle? If you open up the throttle and then let go, does it "snap" back under good spring tension from the carb return, or is the return a bit more sedate/sticky?

I'm having a bit of trouble getting the cables right - whenever I drop the tank down on top the throttle basically sticks. Runs ok when the tank is lifted. I'm in the process of getting some light oil down the cables to make sure they are nicely lubricated.

Otherwise the cables seem to be routed correctly. If I shim the tank up at the front fixing point by about 5mm it seems to be OK (which I might resort to yet).

Any thoughts or suggestions? Its a 88/89 FK.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:51 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Never really thought about that before, so I've just been down and done a Garage Test.

The throttle doesn't "snap" back under its' own power without the engine running.

Obviously when I'm riding I must turn off the loud button without even being conscious of it?

Old 09-25-2012, 06:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Same here, doesn't snap back at all.

I did however, on the weekend clean the twist grip on Mrs SB's bike by removing it completely, cleaning the bar which had umpteen years crud built up - linished it lightly, very light smear of grease, oiled the throttle cable and vióla a throttle that snaps back.

Cheers, SB

Last edited by Sebastionbear1; 09-25-2012 at 07:53 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:43 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine does to some extent. Wouldn't describe it as a snap, but it does return smoothly. Dismantle the works and de-gunk them and some spray type cable lube or even some Tri-Flow at the cable openings should help

If you have to lift the tank, maybe you have some sort of impingement

Old 09-25-2012, 10:28 AM

If the cables are not corroded, make sure you have some free play in the throttle cables. If you remove too much play the throttle will be slow to close or stick open.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:54 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A tight radius turn in the cables will slow 'em down too

Old 09-26-2012, 01:34 AM
Banned

Funny you mentioned this as I just installed the Vista cruise throttle lock And it was very tight without being adjusted down (IOW basic form sized). So I had to enlarge the inner diameter and when I did enough for the throttle to be loose enough I noticed it didn't want to move on it's own anyway! LOL

So since IIRC the throttle spring is on the carbs and I'll be godamned if I'm gonna pull them again this month!!!!!!!!!!!

It's, staying the way it is!

Old 09-26-2012, 04:17 AM

Thanks everyone, managed to get it sorted tonight. Turns out the problem was the frame wire guide by the front tank mounts, where the two cables are guided through.

The guide was squished up a little bit tight and was making the cables feed upwards before being pulled down over the frame and under the tank. Sort of causing a little hill for the cables to go up over and back down again. It was enough to really make the whole mechanism bind up.

So I loosened up the guide - now its a fairly straight dive under the tank and its all good now.

I haven't started the bike for nearly 4 months now while I've been doing a bunch of maintenance (and its been winter) so that was pretty much the last thing sorted until it runs again. Then got a carb synch, fluids & filter and a shake-down run into central otago to meet kiwi-tk for a beer.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by bohdan; 09-26-2012 at 04:48 AM. Reason: Spelling.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

[QUOTE=bohdan;1194342]
and a shake-down run into central otago to meet kiwi-tk for a beer.
QUOTE]

Slap TK on the back and have a beer with him for me

Cheers, SB

Old 09-26-2012, 04:51 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

You know you'll be made welcome Kevin; down your way this weekend, a return trip in a day though, to help relocate the mother in law so no time for social activity. In fact it will probably be a very long day.

Cheers
TK

Quick Reply: Throttle return tension