CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Temperature gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 08:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Warner881000f
I see the warner tag on your post. That is my last name. Is that what yours is. I have an 88 with a 90 or 91 motor I put in it.
Warner is my first name....was my great grandmother's last name.

Warner

Old 07-03-2016, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by TimBucTwo
Welcome to the forum Mr. Warner.

I have flushed mine twice and it made no difference on the needle. I have been thinking the fan switch may be coming on to late.
I thought you corrected yours by replacing the thermostat with a 180 degree one? Am I confusing you with someone else?

Warner

Old 07-03-2016, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Sporty982000
I recently flushed mine, new radiator fluid, pressure washed carefully the radiator grill.

I have ordered a new radiator cap and thermostat.

While I wait for my used stator to come. About all I do till then is charge battery and ride for about 30 minutes.

A few more days.

I'm actually suspecting the heat ruined the stator in the first place. Because before the stator failed, the bike would get close to the red at stop signs in town.

After reading a few posts, I did the flush and new fluid.

Which only helped a little. I was still 3/4 over on the gauge. And normal was in the middle of the gauge after 1 hour of riding.
But now that I'm in limp mode until the stator comes. I hope to ensure the bike is running cooler.

Ryan
While you're at it, you may want to give Engine Ice a try. I used it in my last bike, too. It's supposed to make the bike run a bit cooler. Lots of race tracks require it, as it's non toxic so in the event of a crash, toxic coolant doesn't run out. It's not cheap, but even 10 degrees would be worth it.

Warner

Old 07-04-2016, 04:58 PM

Good day all,

Normal behavior for a 1000f... What did on mine was to install a manual override swicth for when stuck in traffic too long, dies the trick. One problem i had is when it was hot it woould spew coolant trough the overfill tube of the reserve. For this not happen make sure the tube goes only halfway of the reserve, if it goes to the bottom it will behave as if the reserve tank is full.

Another problem you might encounter while stuck in traffic is that carbs will get hot and the bike want to bog down. This cauused by the fact that it is fully enclosed. Engine heat does not disperse correctly. The carbs are not mixing the mixture correctly because of heat. It is ok after you get on the open road.

Working on something for this, i was thinking of hooking computer fans to pull out the heat from the engine bay.

Will keep you posted

Old 06-20-2017, 08:06 AM

Just reviving an old thread instead of starting a new one.

My motorcycle get's rather hot as well but it's very variable in how it handles traffic. Sometimes it'll cool itself down well and indeed go up to around 4/5 on the gauge and stay there.
The fan comes on, everything seems in order.

However, the other day I was driving around town on a hot day and sat in traffic for probably 30min give or take.

Then this happened. Fan was running and it never get's blistering hot here (probably 18celcius). I should check my cooling system, shouldn't i?

Name:  SOIR6O3.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  58.7 KB

Last edited by Apollon; 07-22-2017 at 07:56 AM.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:13 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi Apalon, it would be a good idea to flush out the cooling system.

Make sure the radiator isn't clogged with dead flies.

Refill with the correct coolant.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:29 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine takes ages to warm up, it (the gauge), stays within the first 1/4 . I recon, even after a ride out it never gets hot, think the stat must be kaput.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:21 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Staying in the first 1/4 is normal. sitting in traffic, takes a bit then climbs suddenly and then fan kicks in, staying up 3/4 or slightly more until you get moving again. If you want to replace the stat check this LINK.

Old 07-08-2017, 01:46 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had that issue with my 93 the fan would not come on soon enough
so I just put a manual switch so I could just run it all the time when in
slow commuting traffic

Old 07-22-2017, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkwind2016
Hi Apalon, it would be a good idea to flush out the cooling system.

Make sure the radiator isn't clogged with dead flies.

Refill with the correct coolant.
I'll flush the radiator. However, it seems very variable in how it handles the heat. Sometimes I can sit in traffic for an hour, with the fan on and the temp gauge at a constant 4/5, it never hits the red.

Other times, rarely but especially if I get off the highway and hit a congestion it'll shoot up and almost touch the red field.

These bikes really goes hot quick but I'm not too worried. Especially because the temp rarely exceeds 24 celcius here

Quick Reply: Temperature gauge?