Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 01:44 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Talking Batteries

Well my first agm motobatt which has a mfg date of 08/08 finally let go but
I reckon six years was not too shabby . so the replacement came today from
Amazon ..... a Battery Tender Lithium BTL14A240C with some rewards I
had and a sale price I got it for 76 bucks delivered.

Amazing how small and light this thing is ! it will be interesting to see how
long it lasts ......... I'm hoping at least as long as the MotoBatt AGM

Old 12-05-2014, 02:19 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Its a Lithium Iron Phosphate battery, same as my Shorai. Great power storage and YES, very small and light weight. I had to pack in some small boards before inserting the foam they give you. As you already know but I will mention here is, don't tend it unless you know for a fact that the battery tender does NOT have a desulfator.

$97 not bad....I went with Shorai because it has a port to balance the cells. My son has all the high tech stuff to do that.

I'm on my third year and it still spins the starter faster than any lead/acid battery I have had in the past.

Old 12-05-2014, 04:11 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Slightly offtopic as not bike related but:

I had an issue with the roof motor of my Alfa Romeo. The overload cutoff switch used to trigger and the reed arced a spark jamming it open. It helped for a while to carry a rubber mallet in the motor compartment behind the seats and to give the relay unit a whack every time it jammed but it was getting more frequent and became increasingly clear a service was due.

The battery was nearing the end of it`s life and the car had already refused to start twice so I went to a battery shop to buy a battery with twin terminals as the sound system cables has own shoes. Turns out this is a Banner battery exclusive property so I ended up buying an Optima Yellowtop as it had screw-on side terminals as well. Paid myself silly for it, cost me three times the price of a normal acid battery.

I fitted it to the car, never opening the overload switch, haven`t had a single problem with it since. So needless to say I started thinking a similar battery could be a good idea to the Triumph aswell as it has more elecronics than half of the cars I`ve owned.

Last edited by Mattson; 12-05-2014 at 04:15 PM. Reason: typo & grammar fixes.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:08 PM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That was great buying, those batteries are so expensive here the Motobatt looked like a steal.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:12 PM

Well , update , this one totally hates sub zero temp's !

Going to have to pull all batteries into the house Weds
it's to go down to -6F (-21c)

Old 01-05-2015, 11:46 PM
Welcome Crew

There had to be some drawback although I think the cold tests out the best of batteries.

When you say sub zero are we talking C of F because sub zero here means freezing

Last edited by jarvid; 01-05-2015 at 11:50 PM.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Sprock
Well , update , this one totally hates sub zero temp's !)
Did you put fresh oil in before winter? New oil seams to act thicker and cause a slower turn over.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:15 PM

Jarvid minus 6 Fahrenheit same as -21 Celsius

Nope TBT same old oil in it from the summer , it being the 93

Old 01-06-2015, 08:26 PM
Welcome Crew

Holy ****, -21c, it would be warmer in my freezer(-18c)

No wonder you guys park up for winter and are picky and choosie about what type of wood you burn.

Your previous Motobatt lasted a bit over 5 years, so do you think 5 years is a good life span for a battery, did you always keep it on a trickle charger?

Old 01-08-2015, 08:56 AM

Its been cold here. Currently its -11°F (-24°C). If the car doesn't start first try the battery goes dead. Its to cold to go out and trouble shoot. But, Heading over to NH to ski. Gonna take some jumpers.

That Optima Yellowtop Mattson brought up looks nice. I was reading up on batteries and it is not made with traditional plates but instead it has cylindrical wound cells. Turns out it has a greater number of cold cranking amps, can be used as a deep cycle and last twice as long as the platted battery.

For MC applications, I don't care about the CCA. They don't make a specific yellow top for my car so I'm looking into finding one that I can slip in.

Edit: BTW Sprock, you don't need to pull the Lithium batteries. Treat them like a PC battery. They don't freeze and even if they discharge during storage, it doesn't hurt them.

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 01-08-2015 at 09:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Talking Batteries