CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Talk about luck... 87mk1

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 11:57 AM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Talk about luck... 87mk1

ssooo .. about 2 days ago ..my neighbor backed into my bike ..fell over to the right side .. broke front brake lever and slightly twisted my handle bar on the same side . took plastics off to see if there was any other damages and it slightly crapped the cover thats next to the clutch cover .. small circule with 3 bolts .. i cant remember the name of it but most of the scratches are on the right fairing.. so i made sure everything was straightened out to see if futher damage was done and the bike rides fine .. so i decided to go to a friends house about 3 mile from my house . hung out for a couple hours ..

here is were the problem happened .. as i leave his house i turn on the bike . then put on my gear . bike was about ruffly a 1/4 hot on the temp gauge . and while the bike was running the engine just stopped completly tunerd off .. only thing that was workin was the lights and gauges seem to work correctly .. so i said hmmm that was funny sothen i reached over and tryed to start the motor up. but it kept making a nasty sound .. not sure if any one has expereinced tryin to start the bike then it makes a nasty sound then u hit the start switch again and bike starts ? any way i automaticly thought it was my cct as i need t get it replaced .. so we opened up his garauge and we take the top head cover off and i see the cct is still in tacked .. so i said maybe its the stick coils maybe they just burned out.. so i switched over back to the old coils with wires and bike still did the same thing .. cranked over but with a nasty sound .. sounds like something is spinning and grinding .. i cant actually explain the sound .. any ideas of what happened ??? thankx

Old 07-29-2012, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by EpicLife
ssooo .. about 2 days ago ..my neighbor backed into my bike ..fell over to the right side .. broke front brake lever and slightly twisted my handle bar on the same side . took plastics off to see if there was any other damages and it slightly crapped the cover thats next to the clutch cover .. small circule with 3 bolts .. i cant remember the name of it but most of the scratches are on the right fairing.. so i made sure everything was straightened out to see if futher damage was done and the bike rides fine .. so i decided to go to a friends house about 3 mile from my house . hung out for a couple hours ..

here is were the problem happened .. as i leave his house i turn on the bike . then put on my gear . bike was about ruffly a 1/4 hot on the temp gauge . and while the bike was running the engine just stopped completly tunerd off .. only thing that was workin was the lights and gauges seem to work correctly .. so i said hmmm that was funny sothen i reached over and tryed to start the motor up. but it kept making a nasty sound .. not sure if any one has expereinced tryin to start the bike then it makes a nasty sound then u hit the start switch again and bike starts ? any way i automaticly thought it was my cct as i need t get it replaced .. so we opened up his garauge and we take the top head cover off and i see the cct is still in tacked .. so i said maybe its the stick coils maybe they just burned out.. so i switched over back to the old coils with wires and bike still did the same thing .. cranked over but with a nasty sound .. sounds like something is spinning and grinding .. i cant actually explain the sound .. any ideas of what happened ??? thankx
The first thing I would do is find out exactly where the noise is coming from. An old school, low-tech stethoscope works great. Just don't let any wise *** rev the engine loudly while you are listening. Or in a pinch, you can use an inverted cup to listen.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:53 AM
Registered Users

Can't rev the motor .. won't turn on ... If I take out the starter motor and try to turn the bike on while its still connected and it doesn't spin , is it no good ? When I have it out nothing happens .. wheni put it back in , the noise is back . ... When out nothing happens , when in it trys to start but won't .

Old 07-30-2012, 06:49 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Try slightly low battery voltage, makes a really nasty sound like the primary start chain has gone to lunch.

Maybe the dreaded R/R has coincidentally decided to go on holiday?

Old 07-30-2012, 08:56 AM
Registered Users

How can u test the starter motor ? I also thought it could be the cct but its still on the cams .. also thought it was my r/r but didn't dwell on it but I'm thinking its the starter .. sometime (befor this happened) when I would hit the start button , it will crank over to turn on then stop and make nasty noise like something was banging and scrapping or as if something was tryin to turn and was makeing noise while doing it .. idk

Old 07-30-2012, 09:45 AM
Registered Users

Also .. start button stays stuck some times so I have to push a curtain way for it to come back up smoothly .. so I was thinking need new starter botton at the handle and new starter motor since it burned it out ??? is that possable ??

Old 07-30-2012, 10:01 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try boosting it from another battery, see if it starts and runs normally. That'll narrow it down for you.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:04 PM
Registered Users

Won't start with jumping it .. makes the nasty sound

Old 07-30-2012, 02:15 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How are you jumping it? If you're using an automobile, be sure to NOT turn on the auto's engine...just connect to auto's battery & then try starting your bike.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:58 PM
Registered Users

Lol .. I'm not new to jumping .. I've done it befor and its started .. but not this time around

Quick Reply: Talk about luck... 87mk1