CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Switched plugs now no spark

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 06:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switched plugs now no spark

Ok so I have been working on my bike going through the maintenance stuff because I bought it used from a guy that I think didn't maintain it. So it ran and I rode it for a little then put it in the shop to flush everything and change filters, plugs, etc. so I know it ran

I get everything done, threw some NGk iridium plugs in it spaced at about .035 because the old plugs were trashed. Now I don't get spark on any of the wires. I pulled each plug and cranked it over looking for spark on each one. Nothing.

Can someone tell me how can I trace down the problem?

Thanks riders..

Old 05-02-2014, 06:58 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look first for the simple things such as the kill switch accidentally being in the wrong position. It sounds dumb but this actually happened to someone on another forum recently when he couldn't figure out why it wouldn't start.

At least he logged back on and told everyone what the trouble was.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
Look first for the simple things such as the kill switch accidentally being in the wrong position. It sounds dumb but this actually happened to someone on another forum recently when he couldn't figure out why it wouldn't start.

At least he logged back on and told everyone what the trouble was.
I double checked that just to be sure. I haven't taken anything off the bike wire related or electronically except to pull the battery. I just can't figure it out so if someone has some leads to chase it down I'd appreciate it!

Old 05-03-2014, 05:59 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would also check you battery, these bikes hate an undercharged battery.

Old 05-03-2014, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by jarvid
I would also check you battery, these bikes hate an undercharged battery.
Will check this when I get home

Old 05-04-2014, 01:15 PM
Welcome Crew

also make sure you check all your fuses as well

Old 05-04-2014, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by wheelnut
also make sure you check all your fuses as well
Ok so the problem is fixed and she fired right up. I charged the battery checked all the fuses. The main 30a fuse was blown but I had replaced that and it still didn't start. I checked the coils they were fine. So I traced it all the way back to the ignition module and it tested fine. So I plugged it back in and she fired right up. I don't if unplugging and plugging the ignition module reset something but she runs like a top with fresh plugs, air filter, and fluids. Thanks guys for the help!

On a side note does anyone know what size the 4 air intake ducts are so when I rip out the air box and replace it with cones on the carb I can get the right ones. I believe they are 60mm but I'm not sure. Can anyone confirm?

Old 05-10-2014, 06:46 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I would suggest keeping the factory air box. Without doing other work it won't run right with pods mounted. These bike were good for 170mph with factory air box. You will be chasing jetting issues.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by TimBucTwo
I would suggest keeping the factory air box. Without doing other work it won't run right with pods mounted. These bike were good for 170mph with factory air box. You will be chasing jetting issues.
The only reason I would want to is to run the exhaust inside up the middle and out the rear tail. Not really looking for a performance boost but I like the look of the exhaust that way and the air box and battery box would need to be removed. I just wasn't sure after all these years if someone had figured out a simple way of adding the pods. I've heard of the jetting issues and what a nightmare they can be and I love the way the bike handles and the weight but I don't care for the exhaust setup. Thanks for tip!

Old 05-11-2014, 06:41 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple of the street fighter guys have done it, but it took them a long time to sort it out. Do a search and you should find some useful information.

Quick Reply: Switched plugs now no spark