CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Starting / running issue - Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Starting / running issue - Battery?

Hi all
Purchased a used 87 Hurricane 3 months ago and it had been unused for couple of weeks, stood in a trailer.
Anyhow, i ran it home and have had probs ever since.
It has been used for short journeys to and from work (less than 5 miles away. Battery was charged initially and tested curcuit for leakage- less than 1.2 amp so all well there. However, after few days starts to slow down turnover and then wont start. Proper pain in the *** when suited and booted for rain!!
I am loather to swap the battery yet until i am sure. Once started it misfired slightly and last week after poor starting it then ran down motorway and stalled several times unless choke applied.
Also on stall i could hear a loud "clunk"? What is this noise? Is it normal and simply something disengaging?
Anyway, basically the bike doesnt reach 5000 revs on way to work and on way home again. I use car at weekend and charge battery to get me started on mondays otherwise im screwed for certain.
I am fed up doing this and need some clues as to what it actually is and how to remedy it.
Please help if you can, any ideas are welcomed

Old 06-09-2010, 04:24 PM
Default Bump!

Sorry for double posting but forgot to ask about the carbs. Is it posasible to clean them using a petrol additive or similar rather than dismantling them as i am nervous doing this as i dont feel confident doing this yet....

Ideas?

Old 06-09-2010, 04:30 PM

bet youre having the problem i just had. disconnect the breather tube from the bottom of the gas tank and see how it runs. make sure you cap it off so its not pulling in unmetered air.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:37 PM
Default Battery / Poor starting / misfire

Thanks for that i will try in morning.
Is the pipe accessible without removing tank and if bike runs well what does it point to?
What was the story with yours?

Old 06-09-2010, 08:08 PM

im not sure, but the vent was plugged on mine and the restrictor section of the tubing, or a check valve (not sure), was my problem and it was all clogged up. i would be riding and the bike would go very lean and eventually just die on me and wouldnt start up very easily and id have to choke it a lot, even if the bike was hot. once i took this breather tube off the bike ran normally how it should. my belief is that it was originally meant as an EVAP system, but just gets in the way once it gets clogged up.

you can get to it without taking off the tank, but you'll have to lift it up at least since the air box will probably be in the way. check out this thread i made on it:

https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/vacuum-lines-111905/

Old 06-10-2010, 02:16 AM

Great, ill let you know what happens.... ive a feeling this is going to be a lengthy thread! Fingers crossed..

Old 06-10-2010, 02:34 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

You say "Battery was charged initially and tested curcuit for leakage- less than 1.2 amp so all well there."
Somthing very wrong here ... Current leakage is 0.1 mA max.

See Workshop Manual page 1-12.

extract below..

Take your time - go through the voltages / currents / resistances as listed ... dont jump to any conclussions.

Attached Thumbnails Starting / running issue - Battery?-charge-specs.jpg  
Old 06-10-2010, 11:32 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The first thing I do when I have a battery is loosing power is to disconnect one battery cable to see if the battery is draining down by itself.
If it stays up I know that it is not the battery.

This may help, Fault-finding-diagram

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 06-10-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:13 PM

Thanks guys, will get back to you and let you know what i find..

Old 06-19-2010, 12:52 PM

okay, better late than never, i am back...

this is the story so far,
used flow chart kindly given and battery not perfoming well. bought new one, filled charged and fitted. next morning, started okay, got to work and needed to go back out after ten mins so went back to bike and....wouldnt start ahhhhhhhh!!
Thought about violently thrashing bike to death but could not locate a suitable birch branch.... went bakc to plan a and continue to sourse problem.
Got home and stripped seat off and lifted tank.
Found an old solalarm 815 and half the wires and fuses still conected. Disconnected and stripped alarm out of bike. Chucked peice of cack into bin.
Okay that must be that i thought....hooray! Next morning same story loads of choke needed and backfiring now and then.
Today i decided to strip cover from bike and lift tank again.
Started it and ran it to idle.....and watched for "anything out of ordinary" then all of a sudden i bacame aware of a noise thats always been there but now much sharper like a whislte. Lokked at carb area and saw that apiece of what looked like plastic padding painted silver had fallena away from a neck area of the carb and a healthy plume of exhaust fumes was merrinly making its way out of the 5mm hole!!
Put my finger over the hole as its very mans intuition to do and low and behold....the revs increase and runs 10000% better. I cover the hole with tape and tried to start bike from cols again. First time, then tried restart from hot...same again..first time!!!
It seems to be that.
Now my concern is this.... what the hell would anyone want to do this for then cover it up? and also is my corrective method used okay?( basically i used a short flat ended stub screw in tight and used instant gasket on the threads) Is this okay or can someone shed some light on the hole thingy?

By the way, ive ran the bike today and she is sweet now....

Not sure why i was getting bad leakage with multitest though, can only think it must be me doing summit wrong there (not the first time)

Quick Reply: Starting / running issue - Battery?