CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Spark Plug Torque

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 05:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plug Torque

Hi guys,

Is anyone torquing up their spark plugs to the recommended 15Nm (11ft-lb)

I tried that setting on my Oil Sump plug as a test and it seems kinda hefty. The oil sump plug recommends a rather ridiculous 30Nm (22ft-lb)

Cheers

Old 05-22-2013, 06:10 AM
Banned

I have a torque wrench Sean and I don't use it for the plugs or the oil drain plug. I've always done it by feel and never had any problems. With both I wait till they hit the surface and go another half to 3/4 turn and leave it at that. Thats just me though

Old 05-22-2013, 06:21 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Originally Posted by Bordo
I have a torque wrench Sean and I don't use it for the plugs or the oil drain plug. I've always done it by feel and never had any problems. With both I wait till they hit the surface and go another half to 3/4 turn and leave it at that. Thats just me though
Have to agree with that, I'm pretty sure back in the old days, before we could afford torque wrenches the rule was "half a turn less than before it snaps".

Old 05-23-2013, 03:54 AM

To carry on from TK's method you can always keep going til you feel it thread start to go soft then back it off slightly and cross your fingers.

Personally I have never touqued spark plugs I just use a 3/8" drive mini rachet and just tighten to wrist tight but then I have been mechanicing for 40+ years so I guess I have developed a bit of a feel for how tight things should be.
Having said that a lot of things like diesel engine head bolts are now torqued to say 24ftlb and then a further 90deg followed by another 90deg. It doesnt sound much but I can assure you that it is almost to the stage of needing to use a 900mm wrench bar to achieve it.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:07 AM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi JK
To carry on from TK's method you can always keep going til you feel it thread start to go soft then back it off slightly and cross your fingers.

Personally I have never touqued spark plugs I just use a 3/8" drive mini rachet and just tighten to wrist tight but then I have been mechanicing for 40+ years so I guess I have developed a bit of a feel for how tight things should be.
Having said that a lot of things like diesel engine head bolts are now torqued to say 24ftlb and then a further 90deg followed by another 90deg. It doesnt sound much but I can assure you that it is almost to the stage of needing to use a 900mm wrench bar to achieve it.

Ditto JK, you literally can't strip the thread using that method. Though I bet some muscle man now proves me wrong.

I'll rephrase. With my candy a$$ed Entomologists wrists I can't strip the sparkplug hole thread using that method.

Cheers, SB

Cheers, SB

Old 05-24-2013, 07:54 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

newer plugs will compress the seal rings a bit more - with me on that score it's hand tight
and between a 1/4 and a 1/2 turn until it feels just right

Old 05-24-2013, 07:59 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Snug" for the plugs and "pretty tight" for the oil drain.

Btw... don't even think about torquing the valve cover bolts to spec. Not that I've ever tried, but I guarantee that you'll snap every one of them if you do. lol....

Old 05-25-2013, 08:27 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout

Btw... don't even think about torquing the valve cover bolts to spec. Not that I've ever tried, but I guarantee that you'll snap every one of them if you do. lol....
+1!

Old 05-28-2013, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout

Thanks again guys. I'm going to bin the torque wrench. Could feel the washers on the NEW spark plugs compress and went another 1/2 turn by feel

I'll check them OK after a few hundred miles

Old 05-28-2013, 02:27 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thing about torque wrenches is.....how accurate is yours?

Some wrenches cost £25/$50 while others cost £/$100's

I learn the hard way that my cheap wrench was cr^p and not to be relied on

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Torque