CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Some performance issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 08:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some performance issues

I've had my lady for a few weeks she's been giving me some trouble. When I get on the throttle she bogs out around 7500rpm for a second and then usually snaps out of it and rips to redline, it's sounds like I'm hitting a Rev limiter, even my friend riding next to me hears it. Also seems a bit sluggish off the line.

All stock except Vance and Hines 2 into 1. New plugs new air filter. I haven't taken the carbs apart yet but I have given her the seafoam treatment a few times 1990

Any advice from seasoned hurricane rider?

Old 02-19-2014, 09:34 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Iron_shaft
I haven't taken the carbs apart yet
I think this may be your problem. Seafoam can only do so much and will only delay the need to clean them in the good old fashioned way.

Not hard to do and sounds like you know what you're doing.

There is a small screen in each carb that may have some crap in there and it's well worth fitting an in-line filter to the fuel line. The in tank filter may be damaged and the tanks on these old girls are pretty old now, there may be some rust getting through.

Other things you could look at would be a partially blocked tank breather or possibly a vacuum leak somewhere.

Last edited by regener8ed; 02-19-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:29 AM

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a shot when have some free time. I got a feeling it's the transfer from needle to main jet, maybe the needle is gummed up

Old 02-19-2014, 06:29 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you get into breaking down and cleaning the carbs I'd jet the mains a little bigger for
the V&H exhaust it should take the hesitation out of it.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:22 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sprock
I'd jet the mains a little bigger for
the V&H exhaust it should take the hesitation out of it.
+1
I'd go up few.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:09 PM

I had the same issues with my 88 cane. Ended up taking the carbs off after praying the seafoam would work and it didnt. LOL My motor would stumble right at 7K then inhale pavement. I lived with it for awhile. Then could not take it anymore. Pulled the carbs off and cleaned them. One of the carbs was quite dirty. in fact one of the 4 sliders was hanging up, ended up replacing the weak spring from another set of carbs that I bought off ebay. Check you sliders and make sure they move freely. Also replaced all 4 carb holders some were deteriorated and leaking fuel and pulling air in after the carbs.

It was a pain in the *** to do. But after assembly and install it was well worth it. When i hit 7000k it ripped. It was like a new bike. I mean it pulled hard!! Idles super smooth, something it did not do before.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:59 PM

I was planning on pulling the carbs tomorrow, but I I got home from work and now it's got a fast leak out of the fuel valve. Since I have to order a rebuild kit I might as well get a jet kit too. I can order both from motosport for pretty cheap

Old 02-22-2014, 07:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem and found my screens were full of junk. I didn't even realize they were there. Here's a pic of mine.
Name:  filter.jpg
Views: 1045
Size:  135.5 KB

Old 02-23-2014, 07:57 AM

Just an update, Carbs where removed and intake rubbers checked for leaks. New spark plugs made the biggest difference! Started from cold with new plugs in about 3 seconds of cranking!

Although I now have an air leak grr.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:30 AM

Finally got the carbs apart. There was sand everywhere (one of the benefits of a Florida bike) 2 of the main Jets were clogged the screens we're partially blocked. Got it back together woe and behold she woke right up. Surprised me how quick she is

Quick Reply: Some performance issues