CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

A small accident

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 10:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A small accident

Got into a "nice" accident smashed the front end.

Fortunately, no frame damage. Found a parts bike and swapped the front end. Then a few months later, I also found another mistreated cbr with a blown engine....

with the parts bike i have a engine to swap. Just dropped it yesterday. However not sure what is the best way verify its clean. I know it turns over. I put a battery in and turned the engine over using the starter solenoid. What else should i do before installing this engine? upon inspection it looks fine.(on the outside) This is my first build too

Old 11-02-2012, 10:09 AM

Since you have the means to crank the motor over while you have it on a bench, you should do a compression check and a leakdown test. If the new motor passed them, it's probably in good shape. Unless there's something wrong with the transmission. In that case, you just have to hope it's healthy. Unless you want to tear into the motor just to see if anything is wrong. Which there probably isn't.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Hey Smooth, can you please define 'nice' accident for me as that bike looks as though you dropped it off a high rise!

As stated above, you can do some rudimentary checks with the motor out, but unless you want to tear it apart you will be taking a chance fitting it.

Turn it over with the plugs out, see that there is no binding, do a compression test, make sure the timing is correct, you may have to use a dial indicator on top of a piston through the spark plug hole, drain the oil and check for particulate metal, you may want to do the valve clearances while the engine is out too if everything else checks out.

Cheers, SB

Old 11-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey man, by the looks of those fancy rotors surviving and your surviving, your one lucky dude.

Also, it looks like the 'old' bike and 'new' bike are both '96's making you one real lucky bastard. How about updating your local to show where a real lucky bastard lives. Happy to here your doing fine.

p.s. When moving the 'old' engine over, don't forget those fancy rotors.

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 11-03-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:09 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey smooth, noticed you edited your title (I preferred the original).

Try updating your 'User CP' top left of the page, we'll be able to help with any parts you need.

SB I notice you've up-dated your info At least it's not the 'Back Door!'

Old 11-02-2012, 09:27 PM

Yeaaa definitely blessed!...Two of by buddies and i were riding down I95 (CT) when a pickup truck had a tire blow out in front of us with no where to go(No breakdown lanes). The lead rider tried to squeeze between the guardrail and truck...he didnt make it, he got cut up and some road rash. The second rider tried to lane split the truck and a tractor trailer...he didnt make it through, his bike did, he ended up getting not off under the trailer. The trailer rolled over his leg and spit him out of harms way. he ended up with some road rash. Since both my escape roots were foiled, i held the breaks until i rear ended the truck. Fortunately, I flipped into the bed of the truck.....It all happened so fast. It felt like the guy panicked and slammed his brakes. Crazy...

Thanks for the help guys.

PS i cant update my CP. Is it because im using facebook to login?

Old 11-03-2012, 09:27 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wtf - you 3 have somebody upstairs looking out for ya. Nice you are all still alive and well.
yeah there sure are parts on 95 in CT with guardrails that lock you in but good. I'm guessing
after you made contact your bike skitted off and got bitten by the I beam upright on the
guardrail maybe ?

Well looks like you have a nice compatible 95/96 donor bike now which is great news.
What kind of miles are on the swap motor ? this will dictate really how far into it
you need to get for things like clutch plates , cam chain job & general stuff like
valve checking etc.

Old 11-03-2012, 01:16 PM

the number of miles is unknown. The previous owner told me the bike has been sittin in his shed for years. He wanted to restore it but didnt have the time. He bought forks,radiator, and rectifer. On the odometer it had a lil over 14k.....

Old 11-03-2012, 03:26 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just getting broken in - I'd say check valve clearances - new valve cover gasket
plugs oil bolt it up and go

Old 11-09-2012, 01:07 PM

I have a bunch of questions and I haven't fully navigated this forum stuff yet.....Mind if I pick your brain?

1) Dual exhaust or single exhaust? Which would you sacrifice torque or hp? Sprocket change suggestions?
2)Any other front tire fit a Mk3 cbr1000f?
3)If i wanted to sell a frame with no title can i post for fellow racers?
4)What would you do with an engine that had a piston blown through the engine block? Scrap yard or salvage for parts?

sorry for all the questions, I want to start a new post but not sure how.

Thanks in advance

Quick Reply: A small accident