CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

She's Gone

Old 09-29-2014, 07:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hamlin6
Like I said, he used to do that. Now he sits in prison.

I can only hope the same fate awaits the thief that stole my bike.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:54 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hamlin6
My ex brother in-laws friend used to used car lots and find a car he liked and take it for a test drive, as if he was going to buy it. While he was doing that, he would stop by a hardware store and have a key cut from that car. Then he'd wait a few days and go back at night and drive off with the car.

He also used to rent a car, then while he had it swap all the tires for crap ones and return the car. Then he'd sell the tires to the same place he bought the crap ones.

Like I said, he used to do that. Now he sits in prison.

This one guy who was stealing bikes locally would stalk a bike and then run up and quick splice his own ignition into the wiring and ride off. He was caught though...

However, the best thing I ever read was the AMA on reddit with that ex bike thief. He said two things.

1) Successful bike thieves do not load your bike into a truck with 3 guys and drive off. Those guys get caught. Successful bike thieves ride off.

2) The easiest insurance to keep people from stealing it are to take your clutch lever off (because you can't bump start the bike and it makes it hard to ride fast and get away, especially without stalling) and make look like you've boobie trapped your bike somehow (something as simple as extra cord around the bottom of your bike cover)

Old 09-29-2014, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Conrice
This one guy who was stealing bikes locally would stalk a bike and then run up and quick splice his own ignition into the wiring and ride off. He was caught though...

However, the best thing I ever read was the AMA on reddit with that ex bike thief. He said two things.

1) Successful bike thieves do not load your bike into a truck with 3 guys and drive off. Those guys get caught. Successful bike thieves ride off.

2) The easiest insurance to keep people from stealing it are to take your clutch lever off (because you can't bump start the bike and it makes it hard to ride fast and get away, especially without stalling) and make look like you've boobie trapped your bike somehow (something as simple as extra cord around the bottom of your bike cover)
On, and the other thing he suggested - keep your triple trees locked! He said that while they're easy to break, they take extra time and a lot of noise. So since so many people don't lock theirs, common bike thieves just look for one that isn't locked.

I guess that's 3 things....

Old 09-29-2014, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Conrice

On, and the other thing he suggested - keep your triple trees locked! He said that while they're easy to break, they take extra time and a lot of noise. So since so many people don't lock theirs, bike thieves just look for one that isn't locked.
Now you tell me the second is a good idea especially as it was not being ridden regularly. I did have the triple tree locked and there were parts of it on the ground.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:00 PM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We should start cutting the hands off thieves like the good old days, prison seems to be a paid holiday, no incentive to go straight for the buggers and what ever happened to 'Hard Labour' in gaol sentences?

Old 09-29-2014, 10:26 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jarvid
We should start cutting the hands off thieves like the good old days, prison seems to be a paid holiday, no incentive to go straight for the buggers and what ever happened to 'Hard Labour' in gaol sentences?
You go to prison to learn from the experts.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by TimBucTwo
You go to prison to learn from the experts.
The CC you always see on the back of the jumpsuits doesn't stand for "correctional center", it stands for "convict college"

Old 09-30-2014, 06:45 AM

I don't normally believe in mutilation for crimes but I believe repeat offenders may be the exception. If you didn't learn not to commit crimes your first time in you are not going to learn.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:12 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Back in the 70's-80's in Mozambique the punishment for theft was losing a hand - no, ands ifs or buts. Second offence was to lose the other hand !
Not surprising that when going there you could leave your car open, camera etc etc on the seat and never lose anything.
Unfortunately, with the "goody goodys " who decide on crime and punishment, it's more of a holiday than ever in prisons generally, although in SA prisons the threat of "a slow puncture" ie being infected with HIV is an ever present problem. We have no death penalty here, not for the past 25 years or so. Our judicial system is therefore ineffective, unlike Texas, where you have sensible laws relating to protection of a neighbour's property and can use DEADLY FORCE. I'm all for that, and public executions.
Maybe we should bring back public floggings, the stocks and hangings in the town square...........................I for one would be fully in favour. You can't correct behaviour when all a criminal does is sit in a room watching TV - at my expense !

Sc'use the rant but I'm closer to it than most.....................

Old 10-07-2014, 02:39 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Going totally offtopic now but up here it was a common thing for hobos to commit a crime they'd get about 4 to 6 months worth of the booth treatment to be fully upkept, dressed, fed and looked after for the snowy months. Most prisons here were more like hotels than correctional facilities for them. To prevent this the lawkeepers removed the option for people without posession to correct the fines with prison time so now they just loot the stores and get away with it unpunished cause they don't have anything, they can't be fined. When they get out the next day they go to their apartments paid by the social security system to change free clothes, watch free telly and when they feel peckish they go to the store to nick whatever they want and back home via Alko to buy booze with the social security handouts given them for free, while I and other tax payers work our a$$es off trying desperately to get all our bills paid and our companies afloat so we can pay everyting for these poor poor people that life has treated so wrongfully...

I've heard of several occasions where some junkie has tried to steal some woman's purse, a random guy sees this, runs the thug down and subdues him until the cops arrive. And arrest the random guy cause he has used excessive force trying to keep the wriggling methhead down.

I can confess committing a crime once. I did not call the cops when I saw one junkie break into a toyota mr2 in broad daylight right in front of my truck while I was having a break on a parking lot. Why? Cause as said before I would have gotten more schid of it than he.

Bitter? Nooooo... Sometimes when it's been really tough and I've had to pinch hard to get my company's bills paid I've said to my wife the next occupation I will take is an alcoholic cause it seems to be the only really profitable job in this country, think of the benefits. Free apartment, most even have a free car, basically free everything and the only thing you have to do is be a sorry loser.

Feally sorry for your loss Toby, hope you get a new better one quick... I personally wouldn't probly even want a vehicle back that's been stolen from me. Partly cause you don't know what they've done to it, and partly cause it will forever bear that "tainted" status in my mind if you know what I mean...

Last edited by Mattson; 10-07-2014 at 02:45 AM.

Search this Thread