CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

She's Gone

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 02:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bike had about half a tank in it and there are at lot of bad neighborhoods in that radius. The Ducati is parked in the space next to my Blazer and is resting against the Blazer's door. It Should be towed for that alone. The police stated the Ducati is owned by someone else in the apartment complex but the office cannot get in touch with them. The spaces are assigned and that space is not assigned to the Ducati's owner. I'm beginning to wonder if the police requested the Ducati be left there hoping the thieves come back for it. It's a Daivel with a keyless ignition. Maybe it has lojack or something like that. I just hope mine is recovered sometime prior to it being dismantled or dumped in the lake (it has happened here before Motorcycle frames, parts recovered from Lake Austin - MyFoxAustin.com | KTBC Fox 7 | News, Weather, Sports) I have been camping on craigslist and ebay hoping the idiot will post it not realizing how rare it is. At this point it isn't as much about the bike as it is the money that was invested that I could have used to pay some bills.

Old 09-27-2014, 04:35 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tobiahr
The bike had about half a tank in it and there are at lot of bad neighborhoods in that radius. The Ducati is parked in the space next to my Blazer and is resting against the Blazer's door. It Should be towed for that alone. The police stated the Ducati is owned by someone else in the apartment complex but the office cannot get in touch with them. The spaces are assigned and that space is not assigned to the Ducati's owner. I'm beginning to wonder if the police requested the Ducati be left there hoping the thieves come back for it. It's a Daivel with a keyless ignition. Maybe it has lojack or something like that. I just hope mine is recovered sometime prior to it being dismantled or dumped in the lake (it has happened here before Motorcycle frames, parts recovered from Lake Austin - MyFoxAustin.com | KTBC Fox 7 | News, Weather, Sports) I have been camping on craigslist and ebay hoping the idiot will post it not realizing how rare it is. At this point it isn't as much about the bike as it is the money that was invested that I could have used to pay some bills.
2 things

Old 09-27-2014, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Conrice
      2 things
      • Watch Ebay for identifiable parts
      • Make a "Wanted" ad for parts for your bike on CL
      already doing the first and OMG the second is brilliant. It has now been done and a sincere thanks for the awesome idea.
      If you are ever in the Austin area look me up and I'll repay you.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by tobiahr
      already doing the first and OMG the second is brilliant. It has now been done and a sincere thanks for the awesome idea.
      If you are ever in the Austin area look me up and I'll repay you.

Its no problem - I want you to get your bike back. Remember, you're trying to bait someone who is skeptical. Be vague, but make a back story for yourself and "your bike that you need parts for".

Old 09-28-2014, 06:03 AM
      Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Conrice:

Super Moderator and Fighterer,

and apparently "quite clever detective type person."

I would never have thought of the CL parts request either.

Clearly; why I am never destined to be a criminal mastermind.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:28 AM
      September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
      Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tobiahr, sorry to hear your news

Hope you get her back in one piece.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:55 AM

Also, if you don't hear anything in a week or two - go around to some smaller bike shops (not dealers) in your area. You'd be surprised how many of them look the other way and buy stolen bikes for parts. If you do, go there and leave your info; but make sure you say you have a different year and different color from your real bike and say you're looking for something (that is identifiable to you - like a fender with a scratch) because you're trying to finish a project you're working on

Old 09-29-2014, 03:50 AM
      Welcome Crew

really sorry to hear your cane has been nicked tobiahr

Old 09-29-2014, 05:42 AM
      Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Originally Posted by Conrice
      If you do, go there and leave your info; but make sure you say you have a different year and different color from your real bike and say you're looking for something (that is identifiable to you - like a fender with a scratch) because you're trying to finish a project you're working on
      Conrice was clearly a consultant script writer on Breaking Bad.

Any other shady sh1te you wish to share with us Conrice?

I can share one that I came across on a course many years ago.

Many builders (contractors) use on-site containers for storing all their tools and sh1te in. Most of them are lazy sh1tes and open their container in the morning and leave the open padlock hanging on the door.

Simple fix to that is to whip the original padlock and replace with your own. Come back at night, open the padlock and steal all the tools you want.

Further confusion can be caused by popping the original padlock back on, thereby focusing all police attention on people that have keys for the original padlock.

Simple solution : 1) Close the padlock in the morning when you open the container.

2) Buy a slightly better quality padlock that needs a key to close it.

Last edited by kiwi TK; 09-29-2014 at 05:51 AM.
      Old 09-29-2014, 07:19 AM
      Super Moderator
      Received 311 Likes on 255 Posts

My ex brother in-laws friend used to used car lots and find a car he liked and take it for a test drive, as if he was going to buy it. While he was doing that, he would stop by a hardware store and have a key cut from that car. Then he'd wait a few days and go back at night and drive off with the car.

He also used to rent a car, then while he had it swap all the tires for crap ones and return the car. Then he'd sell the tires to the same place he bought the crap ones.

Like I said, he used to do that. Now he sits in prison.