CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Removing Front Brake Retaining Pin

Old 05-09-2010, 12:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Front Brake Retaining Pin

OK, I can pick my nose and walk at the same time but am unable to remove the front brake pad retaining pin plug on my 88. These are the plugs that retain the pad retaining pins. They have slots for a flat bladed screwdriver and they are tighter than a bugger. Any secrets?

Old 05-09-2010, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Oldest Sage
OK, I can pick my nose and walk at the same time but am unable to remove the front brake pad retaining pin plug on my 88. These are the plugs that retain the pad retaining pins. They have slots for a flat bladed screwdriver and they are tighter than a bugger. Any secrets?
I use an impact driver on mine if they get stuck - One swift smack usually sets them loose.

When they are out - make sure they get anti seize paste on them before the rebuild.

Old 05-09-2010, 02:51 PM

Thanks DeanO, impact wrench worked like a charm. Can't believe I've wrenched all these years without one.

Last edited by Oldest Sage; 05-09-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:32 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

The great thing about impact wrench driver bits is that the tips are ground to a parallel tip unlike most screw driver blades which taper along the entire length to the tip. When the going gets tough they always work.
I've had the same problem getting mine out every time no matter how much anti-seize gook you put on them when reassembling. It's kind of reassuring to know that the pins are safely held in by these little grub screws.
Glad you got it sorted.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:10 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There should be little "covers" with threads on them over the flathead screws. I lost one somewhere and the Honda mechanic said to grease the flathead screws when reassembling them, and put a blob of silicon on top to keep the dust out....
FWIW

Old 05-10-2010, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by Oldest Sage
Thanks DeanO, impact wrench worked like a charm. Can't believe I've wrenched all these years without one.
Got to be one of the best £10 investments to any tool box.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:28 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes... impact is awesome. I also use a cordless drill sometimes, too, and it seems to work well for smaller things that don't take a lot of torque. I have 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" adapters that will fit any socket. Then you can zip screws and bolts out in no time. It has a variable impact on it, too, so you can set it low to spin stuff in and then hit it with the torque wrench afterward.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:38 AM

Just did this very same job on Saturday. I had to hit the impact driver at least 7 or 8 times with a BFH before they came out. Tough little buggers.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:52 AM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Originally Posted by Shadow
There should be little "covers" with threads on them over the flathead screws. I lost one somewhere and the Honda mechanic said to grease the flathead screws when reassembling them, and put a blob of silicon on top to keep the dust out....
FWIW
I just had a look through the fische for the 91 model and there is no mention of dust covers. Perhaps your brakes are different Pete. I know they changed the design slightly after 89. I've never heard of putting silicon over screw heads before to keep dust out but I guess it's not such a daft idea. Just a bastard to clean off when you do want to get at it.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:06 AM

I used an impact driver too, then changed them for new ones, put some copper slip on the threads, no more problems removing them, also renewed the retaining pins..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing Front Brake Retaining Pin