CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Picked up a freebie

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 10:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picked up a freebie

Hi guys,

While visiting an older family friend for a garage sale, I saw that she had an old bike in the corner, half covered up. A couple people came to look at it, and I overheard that she was giving it away because it "was only good for parts." When I pulled the cover off, I found a 1994 CBR 1000F.

Her son had purchased it new in 1994, and had laid it down in 1995 or 1996. It's missing a few parts (front plastics, gauge cluster, headlight/cowl), and a couple parts are broken (left peg, left handlebar), but other than that, it looks MINT mechanically. Heck, it's got the original Dunlop tires and the oil is even clean and golden! Since the gauge cluster is gone, I don't know the exact mileage, but I can't imagine it having much seeing as it was only run for 1-2 years.

Obviously it's been sitting for 14-15 years and will need some reconditioning, but it was FREE My plans are to fix it up slowly over the next 6 months or so, if I can source all the parts I need.

The bike is at my in-laws house for now, and I'll get some new photos this weekend, but here are some pictures that I took the day I picked her up:

So far the parts I know I need to get it running:
- Oil cooler
- Thermostat housing (mine is cracked)
- Gauge cluster
- Left peg
- Left handlebar
- battery

I'm new to all of this, can you guys help me out with some sources to find replacement parts? I'm going to concentrate on the mechanical side of things first, and then try to do some cosmetic work and replace the plastics if possible.

Thanks!

Old 04-13-2010, 10:32 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lucky man !

I have a gauge cluster complete. Speedo is in Kilos tho...........
E-Bay for fairings - easy but may take a while
Bars etc - no problem.

Check manual at
www.blackbears.ru
or
www.carlsalter.com
or send a PM to Pacojoseph for a skydrive link (or just check the manuals section at top of the Hurricane main page.

Send me a PM

Last edited by Shadow; 04-13-2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You must have done something bloody good in a past life mate, what a gift! I'd give the tyres the flick, just because they're so old and some of the oils in them would have leached out. ****..even the seat looks brand new!

Old 04-14-2010, 07:45 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........

You Lucky B4stard!!

I'm green with envy , but at least you're putting her back on the road

Good luck with the re-build , the only difficult things to find may be the plastics . Don't often see the later plastics up for sale . There are places that will re-manufacture them at a price , but as you got her for free , it's a possibility

Old 04-14-2010, 07:57 AM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Talking

Wow Congrat's on such a great bike. You need to change all the fluids on your bike. Pull the plugs and put alittle oil in there and turn her over slowly. Reinstall the plugs. If there was gas in her that needs dumped. most likely need a new fuel filter too. I would get the VFR bars since you need to get a new one and they come in pairs. I could go on and on and spend your money easily.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:05 AM

Lucky man!!! Awesome find! They are awesome bikes!

Senior Member & 2010 ROTY

opps I forgot need to check the forks also, to make sure they are straight. Brake pads too. Just give her some TLC.

Why do things like this never happen to me?? Best of luck to you mate with the re-build , as for parts i`m sure the guy`s on here will help you out as much as poss......ride safe M..

Old 04-14-2010, 09:18 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, that is a truly awesome find.
I am not jealous...

Old 04-14-2010, 09:49 AM

Free is good!

Have fun on your resto...man that's gonna be a fun day the first time you roll your free bike out into the sunshine all complete and working. Wahoo!

Quick Reply: Picked up a freebie