CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Oxford Heated Grips

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 01:27 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oxford Heated Grips

Guys,
Just wondering if anyone has the Oxford Heated grips on the 1000F ? I am looking at getting some for it and the BB. I went and measured the bars on both bikes and find that the throttle side is 26mm and the other side 22mm on both bikes. Do Oxford allow for that in the 7/8 set of grips ? I always thought they were the same diameter on both sides but they aren't. I hope I don't have to source a 7/8 grip and an inch size grip. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:46 AM

Do Oxford allow for that in the 7/8 set of grips?
Yes, they are a direct replacement.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:13 AM

You guys have me interested in heated grips now!! I have a 93 100F. What size would I need?

I just ordered these, being the cheap skate that I am. I think heated grips would be a lot better!

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...d-Warmers.aspx

Old 09-29-2010, 12:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed heated film panels under regular grips, as opposed to grip assemblies with heat elements built in. You do need the two different sizes if you are going the grip route. Sets marked for snowmobiles and off road are often the same size as those machines may have thumb throttles rather than twist grips.
The hand warmers work well but are pretty bulky. 30 years ago they made "Hippo Hands", they were huge.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:21 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cb2cbr
I just installed heated film panels under regular grips, as opposed to grip assemblies with heat elements built in. You do need the two different sizes if you are going the grip route. Sets marked for snowmobiles and off road are often the same size as those machines may have thumb throttles rather than twist grips.
The hand warmers work well but are pretty bulky. 30 years ago they made "Hippo Hands", they were huge.

Need more shoppin' info there Jimbo...... where'd you get those panels ???

Like that idea

Old 09-29-2010, 04:19 PM

RIDER WEARHOUSE CATALOG item #1400, $27.00 last Febuary. I also bought a sealed relay, #4667 to help wire them in. The grip kit is made by KIMPEX. Riderwearhouse put in some supplemental wire instruction as the ones that come with the grips are a little vague.
I've seen other brands usually more expensive but these guys have a good rep so I went for 'em. I'd like to upgrade the low/off/hi switch that comes with the kit to a more weather resistant one. If you shop around you can find a rheostat type control as well, but that'l run ya a little more. The other thing you want to do is insulate the left grip panel from the steel handlebar. The bar is a huge heatsink and carries away the heat while the right side is a plastic tube isolated from the bar. A wrap or two of heatshrink tube will do. The other way to even things up is to add a resistor. It comes with the kit to use that way or to use for you hi/lo option.
I like the option of putting my choice of grips on rather than getting stuck with something that's wrong.
When I get back from the ride to Barber I'll try to do a "How To" with some pic's.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:45 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks man, they went up 2 bucks to 29 samolians plus
4 bucks for the relay (good idea)

Like the whole idea ! (did I just pay you a compliment)

Wrapping the left makes real sense have the shrink wrap too

A how to would be good help to figure how to get these puppies
under the grips etc

DON'T FORGET ....... loads of pics from Barber .........err please

Last edited by Sprock; 09-29-2010 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:53 PM

compliments & "please" - gettin soft in yer old age there? Will do my best for the forum!

Old 09-29-2010, 10:05 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, if I were gonna get heated "grips" I'd go with the mylar type like you listed, Jim. There are several on fleabay, and I was watching a few until i got the heated jacket liner. If I ever get tired of the jacket or it quits on me....I'm getting those grip pads.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:21 AM

I've got the pad ones on the Kawasaki. I used two relays and a DPDT micro switch and I have two LEDs in the dash so I can see at a glance if they're on high or low. I wrapped 2 layers of electrical tape around the left bar prior to fitting.
The biggest issue I have with them is that high gets too hot and low isn't hot enough.
The set on the CBR are the moulded units from Bikeit and have a rotary dial which is really good ... but they seem to have over compensated for the heatsink effect and the left grip is way hotter then the right even without any insulation under it. They were such a tight fit that it had to go directly on the bar.
My next bike will have the pad ones again, but I will try to fit a rotary dial to them.

Quick Reply: Oxford Heated Grips