CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Opportunity to purchase a 1987 1000cc Hurricane.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's not bad. I'd rather pick up a good chain and sprocket rather not buying a cheap one. I'll bump the thread again as soon as I get to take it down. If I like it, I've already accepted that I'll probably pick it up as soon as I get back from the test ride. I'm glad I found a community for the Hurricane.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:33 PM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't bother with the cheapy chains and sprockets with 130hp on tap cheap crap can go wrong quite quickly.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:27 PM

Hi there, and welcome to the site.

You should find the CBR1000F fairly similar to ride to the CBR600 you had, but physically a bit bigger and heavier with more power and torque. I have never ridden an early one, so not sure how different they are to ride to the later 1kf models.

Hope it all goes well when you go to view / test ride - if it's fairly decent and rides well it'd be a worthy purchase.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Goldwing
That's not bad. I'd rather pick up a good chain and sprocket rather not buying a cheap one. I'll bump the thread again as soon as I get to take it down. If I like it, I've already accepted that I'll probably pick it up as soon as I get back from the test ride. I'm glad I found a community for the Hurricane.
and it goes without saying (even though i am ) to use a rivot-style master ...

Old 01-22-2014, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by cbr_lover
You should find the CBR1000F fairly similar to ride to the CBR600 you had
God I hope not. Temps should be in the 30's this weekend which is warm enough for me. If the weather holds true, I'll be test driving it on whichever day is warmer.

Originally Posted by caldercay
use a rivot-style master ...
Woosh, right over my head. I'm probably going to buy a Clymer manual to do minor work myself, because I have no idea what that is and Clymer seems to dumb things down quite a bit. If I pick up the Hurricane, I will probably end up taking a class on how to work on motorcycles.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:06 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He means use a rivet style master link to join the chain together if you're doing the work yourself.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by hawkwind
He means use a rivet style master link to join the chain together if you're doing the work yourself.
Yeah, I'm not going to trust myself to work on a two wheeled rocket that I'm going to be riding around tight turns and high speeds. I'd rather just take it to someone that knows what they're doing.

Old 04-19-2014, 02:21 AM

So I realize that I may be bumping this after three months, but I figured it was better than just making a new thread.

My friend finally pulled out his CBR1000F. The condition is rough to say the least. It starts and runs, but it needs a new chain and it's also leaking quite a bit from the left fork. The fairings are also beat up and looked like it was dropped or dumped at a low speed. The right turn signal is melted and hanging off the bike. The engine is also visibly dirty and has some kind of oil, I'm assuming it's the fluid from the leaking fork.

So, that being said, is the bike worth $1200. I realize at this low end of spending, I can't be expecting a brand new bike. The fairings are held on by screws and bolts that don't match and they are downright ugly, especially near the top of the windshield where he ran the bike into a wall bringing it inside.

If it runs fine mechanically (expired registration+no insurance=no leaving a parking lot,) how difficult is it to make this into a streetfighter? I'm not too fond of the look of them, but it looks better than cracked/scratched fairings. Or should I take the second option and just keep looking?

Old 04-19-2014, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Goldwing
So I realize that I may be bumping this after three months, but I figured it was better than just making a new thread.

My friend finally pulled out his CBR1000F. The condition is rough to say the least. It starts and runs, but it needs a new chain and it's also leaking quite a bit from the left fork. The fairings are also beat up and looked like it was dropped or dumped at a low speed. The right turn signal is melted and hanging off the bike. The engine is also visibly dirty and has some kind of oil, I'm assuming it's the fluid from the leaking fork.

So, that being said, is the bike worth $1200. I realize at this low end of spending, I can't be expecting a brand new bike. The fairings are held on by screws and bolts that don't match and they are downright ugly, especially near the top of the windshield where he ran the bike into a wall bringing it inside.

If it runs fine mechanically (expired registration+no insurance=no leaving a parking lot,) how difficult is it to make this into a streetfighter? I'm not too fond of the look of them, but it looks better than cracked/scratched fairings. Or should I take the second option and just keep looking?
Not knowing what prices are like over there, but something in that condition would be worth about £400 $670 in the UK if your lucky, bikes in bad condition, usually end up in the breakers yard.
And to add, these bikes look pig ugly with the body work removed, so not ideal for street fightering imho.
But make your own mind up on the naked look.

Attached Thumbnails Opportunity to purchase a 1987 1000cc Hurricane.-sf-cbr.jpg  
Old 04-19-2014, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by weeto1964
Not knowing what prices are like over there, but something in that condition would be worth about £400 $670 in the UK if your lucky, bikes in bad condition, usually end up in the breakers yard.
And to add, these bikes look pig ugly with the body work removed, so not ideal for street fightering imho.
But make your own mind up on the naked look.
I'm not too fond of the look, but the fairings are just beat. I asked if I could take it out for a ride to see how it rides. I was told I'd only be able to take it around a parking lot. I was hoping to go through all the gears and at least hit 60-70 mph.

I used to live in Chicago. $1,200 could get you a decent bike. In Iowa, poor-average quality motorcycles will run for $1,500-$2,500. Here's a sad example of a CBR near me:

1988 CBR 600 Hurricane

Last edited by Goldwing; 04-19-2014 at 05:51 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Opportunity to purchase a 1987 1000cc Hurricane.