CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

One Thing After Another

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 03:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy One Thing After Another

Well after spending the winter stripping down and rebuilding the bike I got her through her road worthiness test. Straight after that the brake light switch went on the hand brake. New one purchased and fitted.

Spent time helping Tiggr2 with his bike and all seemed good. Did Tiggrs' suspension last weekend and sorted his exhaust to a fashion and went for a short ride with him.

On the way home I noticed the bike wasn't handling as well as I expected. Got to S'bucks for a coffee with her in doors and noticed a fork seal has blown. This has really p****d me off. It's the one job I hate doing on any bike and after all the work and money yet another thing that needs sorting.

Even my beloved has asked if keeping the bike is worth it. I just keep saying to myself it will all be sorted soon.

Not a happy cookie at the moment and will be getting the fork seals changed and the carbs balanced once I get home after this trip away. Yet more dosh I didn't want to spend, plus it puts the new PR3's on hold for another month.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:51 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your not wrong chippy. it always seems like one thing goes then everything else,hopefully once the forks ect are done, she will behave herself, i will keep my fingers crossed for you,
it can be hard to decide when enough is enough, but once done im sure the old gal will give you years of pleasure

Old 05-21-2014, 06:48 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you sure that the fork seal is bad? Sometimes a bit of grit can get caught up between the seal and the tube. That leads to fluid leaking past the seal and it looks like it is blown.

You can use a thin, stiff piece of plastic such as an old film negative to dislodge the debris. Click on the link below for specific instructions.

Free fix for leaky fork seals

Old 05-21-2014, 06:49 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Better the devil you know. can't be too much more to go wrong.
How many miles/k's has the old girl done?

Old 05-21-2014, 08:52 AM

Hi guys,

I don't think there is much more that can go wrong with the lady, but she is definitely pushing me to the limit this year with all her problems. When I striped her down I replaced just about everything even if it didn't need doing including new chain and sprokets, stick coil upgrade, new plugs, filters, oil etc. I'm just waiting for the reg/rec to go now and that should be the lot.

Jeff, I know the seal has gone, had them go before so I know what I'm looking at.

Jarvid, she has just under 40k on the clock so she's not even properly run in yet.

I have a bet with myself that it will either be the reg/rec or the cam chain that needs doing next.

I'll keep you all updated on my next problem

Old 05-21-2014, 05:38 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

These old girls are brilliant when going well , but sometimes the things that go are due as much to age as mileage . I get a bit fed up sometimes to , but then you get one of those sweet days when it all just clicks and you think to yourself , why would you want anything else

Old 05-21-2014, 08:00 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

T'is a bit of a pain in the **** job doing fork seals chippy but nothing a wet weekend
wouldn't give ya time enough to fix eh ? Biggest pain is keeping everything
squeaky clean and making sure the tubes are smoother than a baby's backside

Old 05-22-2014, 09:03 AM

I know it's not a difficult job to do Sprock but it's one of those jobs that after doing it once I decided it would be a shop job, I just didn't enjoy doing it. It also means my carbs can be balanced at the same time.

This really is getting to be a pain having to get the bike fixed or fixing it myself every time I come home from work.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your thinking it is time for a change try and weigh the pros, con's, and cost either way. My brother loves his 1000f but he's got a serious back problem so riding the 600rr isn't feasible. Dont get to frustrated with the old girl it sounds like your at the end of the complications.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:44 AM
hmm

One Thing After Another for me too.
Have recently done fork seals and oil, water pump, CCT, starter clutch, brake and clutch bleeds, carb sync.
Now I'm getting a terrible rumbling sound from somewhere in the drivechain area.
Not when chain is under stress (accelerating) but when coasting. Last time I thought chain was worn but Chasbikes diagnosed loose front sprocket. This time I fear it could be something worse...

Quick Reply: One Thing After Another