CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Newb Needs Guidance

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 11:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay...what a pain in the ***. I thought my V65 Magna was a bitch to get the carbs in and out of. I'm too tired to finish tonight. I'll try to get back to it in the morning. Do I need to jumper the fuel pump to fill the bowls or will cranking it get the gas in?

Old 01-24-2015, 11:10 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It can be a real trial, Charles, especially if it's the first time in years that it's been moved.
Patience and perseverance will be my best advice.
IT WILL GO BACK IN
As for the fuel pump, sorry, mine's a mk2, doesn't have a fuel pump, but at a guess I'd say jumper cables.

(Mk2 bikes have a vacuum unit on the carbs which only opens when the engine is cranked. Can be a real pain to start if the bike has stood for a while) Not sure if the Mk1 has the same system, but if you crank it then you'll KNOW the fuel's getting in.

Good luck with it.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:02 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

OK, had to go back all the way to post 1 and try and get a handle on this.

The Mk1 fuel pump is not like the fuel pump in my old Mk1 Jag.

In the Mk1 Jag , you could hear the fuel pump start up and start sending fuel ($1 coins) through to the carbs as soon as you switched on the ignition.

With the Mk1 Hurricane, the fuel pump does not play any role until you hit the starter button.

So; download the Haynes Manual available through this site, it has some test procedures for checking if your fuel pump is still alive.

Last edited by kiwi TK; 01-25-2015 at 06:14 AM. Reason: I had a rush of blood to the head; I thought I had spelt fuel incorretly. Apparentley not.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 311 Likes on 255 Posts

You will need to crank it just a bit for the bowls to fill up, but it won't take too much.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:58 PM

No joy. I can feel the fuel pump pumping, but I'm not getting any gas thru it. The petcock flowed water thru itself when I was cleaning the tank. Out of time to work on it today...the job beckons. I shot some starting fluid in the intake on the side where the air filter is, but I'm thinking that is just too far for it to travel.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:02 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Or go gravity feed.
If I had a mk1, I'm 100% sure I'd toss the pump.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:38 PM

I'm really trying to keep it as close to stock as I can because I am fixing it up to resell. The only things that aren't stock are the Lockhart windscreen and the what I believe are Cobra cans. The cans have no markings on them but the straps say Cobra. Let's say I do remove the pump, what sizes are the fuel hoses I would need to use?

Old 01-25-2015, 02:25 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 01-25-2015, 02:38 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Charles Walsh
Unbelievable. I got the carbs on finally thanks to the heat. Now the freaking airbox is giving me fits. This bike is going to be the death of me.
If the airbox won't go back on, chances are the carbs are not aligned properly, you need to make sure the drainage hoses are routed properly and not jammed up under the carbs, preventing them from sitting low enough.

My top tip for refitting the carbs, is to take a small section of 1 x 2 and use that to push against the carbs. As Hamlin advised, start with No4 and then No1 and wiggle them on working from side to side.

Also plenty of lube will help

The reason I mention this is you may have to try a couple of times getting the tubes underneath properly aligned.

Also make sure you've re-attached the throttle cables, or you'll be getting even more practice. These are all mistakes I have made

Old 01-25-2015, 03:50 PM

There are no drainage hoses on this bike. Great. I did reattach the throttle cables before fitting them, however.

Quick Reply: Newb Needs Guidance