CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Newb Needs Guidance

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 07:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb Needs Guidance

Greetings! I am trying to bring a '88 CBR1000F back to life after sitting in a garage for the last 12 years. I gave up trying to get the airbox to come out of the frame, but I also can't get the carbs to come out either. Any pointers?

Old 01-16-2015, 07:34 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Charley welcome to the forum.

Carbs need to come out first before you can take out the airbox, but you will need to undo the two bolts either side of the box holding it to the frame.

Make sure the clamps around the carb boots are well slackened of, then they will pull off, (in theory). My favourite method is to lever them off, with a piece of wood to protect the cam-cover and they'll pop right off.

The box will take a lot of jiggling to get it out, but it is possible.

Here's a link to workshop manuals and parts fiche, both of which will help

Workshop Manuals - CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

Old 01-17-2015, 06:15 PM

Copy on the swearing! I have the air box loose and the carb mounting bands loose, but they haven't popped off yet. I'll go to Lowe's and get a couple of pieces of wood and see if the leverage will help. They will come off with the throttle cables attached, correct?

Old 01-17-2015, 06:31 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........

Yes they will come off with cables attached.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:34 PM

I just occurred to me as the piece of wood broke and the carbs still haven't come loose...just how am I going to get them back on if they are this hard to get off?

Old 01-17-2015, 08:04 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a little light lubricant around each carb outlet upon reinstallation

They need to be pried with wood from the right side first (easiest) and they will
progressively release to the left side

same going back on left to right

It's tough trying to pull all 4 straight out in one motion unless it's dead of summer
and all the rubbers on the inlets to the manifold are warm and soft.

I actually use a standard curved mechanics pry bar against the throttle body myself

Last edited by Sprock; 01-17-2015 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:27 PM

Thanks! I think I will need to try the pry bar since the wood broke. I will be careful not to damage the carb body! I have to go buy one of those now.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:53 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)

I would be reluctant to use a metal prybar. Were you using pine or fir or some such softwood. If so, might I suggest a chunk of hardwood? My carb removal bar is a piece of 3/4" by about 1 1/2" oak about two feet long. I'd give you exact dimensions but it's chilly outside and nice and warm here at the computer. Besides, I'm too lazy to go out to the garage right now.

Good luck, and welcome to the group.

Last edited by DRam; 01-17-2015 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Grammar. Don't want the grammar nazis to pounce.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:07 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)

Another thought: as mentioned above the carbs are easer to remove if those connecting rubber dohickies are warm. Does your wife have a hair dryer? Could you sneak it into the garage? If so it could be used to warm things up a bit. A heat gun might be too hot since, IIRC there is plastic in the area. I used mine to soften ABS plastic to form tabs for my fairing and found it would turn the stuff into jellly quite rapidly.

Old 01-18-2015, 03:13 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Originally Posted by DRam
Another thought: as mentioned above the carbs are easer to remove if those connecting rubber dohickies are warm. Does your wife have a hair dryer? Could you sneak it into the garage? If so it could be used to warm things up a bit. A heat gun might be too hot since, IIRC there is plastic in the area. I used mine to soften ABS plastic to form tabs for my fairing and found it would turn the stuff into jellly quite rapidly.
As an alternative thought, you could always swap your heatgun with the wife's hairdryer.

The surprised look on her face would be so totally worth it. Remember to be standing by with a camera so you can share with the group.

Last edited by kiwi TK; 01-18-2015 at 03:16 AM. Reason: There are no grammar nazis around here. Woof just likes to keep everyone on their game.

Quick Reply: Newb Needs Guidance