CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Newb with a few questions about my 1993 CBR1000f

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 06:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb with a few questions about my 1993 CBR1000f

1. Does the bike have a rev limiter? I only ask because on a 1-2 second pull i accidently shifted into neutral. I wasnt pushing it real hard but I was WOT until around 8500 and then shifted into neutral like a dumbass, Im not used to this bikes shifter, my zx6 has less slop. I think i went to almost 10500-11000 rpms for a second.....bike is still fine.

2. I flushed the coolant with and replaced with 52% distilled water, 8% and 40% prestone(aluminum safe) because the bike was creeping near red and the fan was coming on during idle/stops. Is this normal? My temp gauge is a tad past middle at 50mph in 85 degree weather.

3. What is a good air filter for this bike. Im running a Two Bros 4-2-1 set-up and stage 1 jet kit but found out that it has an old dirty stock air filter.

4.Are there aftermarket lower temp thermostats for this bike? I want it to run cooler, i hate thinking im going to overheat all the time. Even after the coolant flush and a good burp, it better but still doing the same thing.

Recent maintenance-

Valves Adjusted to spec(were hardly off at 38k)
oil change
New plugs

Old 06-29-2010, 07:38 PM

Nice bike, looks a lot like mine! Even have the dark tinted Lockhart wind screen. I have V&H SS2r exhaust. I don't remember anything about a rev limiter but the engine is pretty bullet proof. K&N has a filter for ourbike. Never have to get another.
The temp. thing is normal. Try adding some Water Wetter to the antifreeze. It's supposed to increase the heat transfer ability of the cooling system. I got some at PEP Boys. Also, when the weather is warm like 85 deg. Stay in as high a gear as you can to keep the temp. down. I've found that running in 4th or even 5th @ 50mph in the heat will push the gauge above half way. Remember that on a sunny 85 deg. day the road temp will be a lot higher unless in the shade. The heat off the road doesn't help keep the engine temp down.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:54 PM

Thanks.....yeah i already flushed the coolant and replaced with a distilled water/water wetter/prestone mix.

I live about 5 min away from you in Foxon/New Haven CT.

So your bike has the fan come on at stop lights too? Thats normal? Im used to temps around 200 on my old zx6 at stop lights and about 170 during normal driving. Isnt the cbr1000f fan triggered at 220 degrees?

Last edited by sho24vdohc; 06-29-2010 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heard that there is a rev limiter (I think it was Dylan??) but haven't been game to try to make it work. Everyone misses a cog now and then so don't sweat it. These are great motors and obviously none of your valves hit so it's all good I'm sure.

As long as your fan is working don't worry too much. I asked a Honda mechanic about this when I first got mine and he told me there's really not a great difference in actual temp in the middle section of the gauge. My fan comes on when I go up my driveway and stop to open and close a gate. I think it's normal mate.

+1 on the K&N, it'll save you $ in the long run.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:22 PM

thanks guys.....my fan comes on wen the needle is at 3.4 on the guage, maybe a tad past.

I might do the thermostat just in case because after some research it seems most people are in the lower quarter while doing 50mph on a 80 degree day....

Maybe the thermo isnt opening enough.

It sounded like I hit a revlimiter at around 11k maybe a little before for a split second.

K&N it is.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:25 PM

I use my bike primarily to commute to work in Danbury so I don't get over to Foxon very often except to go to Loews.
The worst situation I face temp wise is stop and go, creep on I-84. I've been making this trip sinc Sept. '91 so I know the back roads. I'd rather keep moving even if I add several milees to the trip.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:47 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hit around 11000 - there's a revlimiter.
K&N make a good filter
Fit a separate switch for your fan if it worries you.

Last edited by Shadow; 06-30-2010 at 12:50 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:52 AM

I have the same year model and color scheme. My temp guage doesnt come up unless im in slow traffic. once it does, its like yours-fan come on at about 1/2 to 3/4 and stays around there at 3/4. I was concerned about it when I first bought the bike a couple of years ago, so after flushing it i let it sit and idle to see if it would start running hot, but it never did.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:42 AM

I think maybe my temp sensor is off then because my fan doesnt kick in until a little past 3/4.....

Even today being around 75 degrees it still is at half way during highway driving...

It gets past the 3/4 mark while at a stop very close to the red. I think im just going to replace the temp sensor, thermostat and cap just to be on the safe side.

Is there any lower temp thermostats out there for these bikes?

Old 06-30-2010, 11:40 AM

Just for comparison, mine stays about about 1/4 at highway speeds, even in 100 degree F weather. I dont get to see my fan come on much because Im on the highway most all the time, but it does seem like it kicks on around 3/4 .

Im sorry I dont know the answer to your thermostat question but someone else may know.

Quick Reply: Newb with a few questions about my 1993 CBR1000f