CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

New to the forums here! Yonkers, NY

Old 06-13-2013, 10:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the forums here! Yonkers, NY

Good Evening Everyone! Edwin From Yonkers NY here saying hello, I currently have a 1991 CBR 1000F with 13K miles, I bought it for $2K about 4 years ago. it came with HIDs and led glow lights around the bike under the plastics, aftermarket muffler, and K&N air filter... as to my knowledge the only things that was done to the bike aftermarket wise. I only rode it for 1 summer and had to stick it in the back of my house for 3 years due to avoidance repo due to owing parking tickets in NY on top of that some idiot hit my bike while parked and it dropped and broke the handle clip on, left mirror and left foot peg and left rear signal housing. Now first summer I had it, I only did 1 oil change and nothing else to the bike, after that summer it was parked in the back of my house for the next 3 years with no care, without turning it on, no bike cover, no precautionary measures for having the bike sitting (yea I know none of this was good my first time owning a bike). Now that my ticket situation was resolved, started to focus on bringing her back on the road. Changed spark plugs, oil change, awaiting new battery from amazon, bought a new/used clip on from ebay, bought new zero gravity windshield, changed foot pegs, bought an LED rear brake light, new grips, awaiting new LED rear signal aftermarket housings, lubed chain, put one of the grips on but still trying to figure out how to loosen the throttle cable so i can remove the other grip for replacement, gonna get her washed and detailed next week.

When I changed the oil and replaced the air filter and spark plugs, the bike turned on instantly. She spewed a whole lot of rust out the exhaust and smoked for a few minutes but as long as i had the choke on she stood on. Now as I turn on the bike she needs a few minutes to warm up before riding or she will sputter when accelerating.

Besides that she seems to operate normal, shifts normal, cooling seems normal. My only situation is my headlights, as I said before it came with HIDs and I never had taken off the plastics till this pass month. I went to test drive the bike when I noticed my head lights were out so I went to autozone and bought what I assumed the bike takes was H4 now when I took off the front headlight fairing there was a whole mess of wires in that area between someone placing HIDs and LEDs and using what I assume is speaker wire. I decided to remove it all and thought using the regular bulb would solved the problem but of course it wasnt so easy cause when I plug up the lights, they never turned on. the fuse was not broken and I made sure the fuse was seated right and solid and still no power to the lights. Can someone tell me what is in this picture cause I do not have that, all I have are 2 connectors that I do not know where they go to and in this picture I do not now if this can be the reason I dont got power to my lights?
Thanks in advance!

Attached Thumbnails New to the forums here! Yonkers, NY-cbr-image.jpg   New to the forums here! Yonkers, NY-wp_20130527_001.jpg   New to the forums here! Yonkers, NY-wp_20130527_002.jpg   New to the forums here! Yonkers, NY-wp_20130509_002.jpg   New to the forums here! Yonkers, NY-wp_20130509_003.jpg  

Old 06-14-2013, 04:03 AM
Welcome Crew

hi and welcome
glad you have brought your hurricane back into service, with regards to your lights, the 2 bits in the picture may be resistors if the bike was fitted with led`s (i may be wrong), but i would start with getting a wiring diagram have a look in the manual section on here, a multimeter or voltmeter and check the wiring all the way through, does the rear light work ok,take the plugs off the bulbs turn the ignition on (i take it your light are supposed to run all the time)and check you have power on the live feed, if you do then there may be an earth problem, if you dont you will have to work your way through the wiring,
hope this helps

Last edited by wheelnut; 06-14-2013 at 04:07 AM.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to the CBR Forum Edwin,

As Wheelnut stated, good to see you're bring the CBR1000F back to life - well done. Good advice given and a multi-meter at this stage is a must to solve the wiring problem.

Cheers, SB

Old 06-14-2013, 10:04 AM

Thanks Guys! I did download the manuals that i was looking everywhere for, was about to buy the manual off ebay, thanks to Naga_thai I got all that I needed. Im not "mechanically inclined" when it comes to electrical trouble shooting but I guess ill figure it out

Herees my video of me going really fast 4 years ago!

Old 06-15-2013, 09:12 AM

Wheelnut- to answer your question, brake lights work, rear & front signals work. I'm wondering if what I'm looking at in the picture are "headlight relays" cause I have the connectors in the front but nothing connected to them and I obviously have the two mounting spots on my speedo bracket just like in the picture. Does the cbr come with headlamp relays? And if they do does that mean if there's no relay there's no power going to the headlights? Also if I step on the rear brake lever, is there an internal button that triggers the rear brake lights or is it just the front handle lever that do? Cause when I press on the front brakes, the brake lights turn on but when I press on the rear brakes they don't, wasn't sure if that was normal...... Thanks guys in advance!

Old 06-15-2013, 10:20 AM
Welcome Crew

the rear brake pedal has its own switch, located above the rear brake pedal, its just like a black tube with a wire from the pedal going in to it,it may just be sticking (spray some wd40 in and around it) that may get it working or it may need some adjustment, its threaded,
i think there are relays for the headlights,so you need power to and from them, you say the signals and brake light works but do the rear riding lights work,if yours is a us model i think the lights are on all the time and cant be switched off, so if they dont come on then the whole lighting system is out (and not just the front). if this is the case i would start at the fuse box and move your way through the lighting wiring for loose or corroded connectors, loose earths,if this is all ok then you need to start checking where the power (ignition on) starts on the lighting circuit, use the diagram to follow the headlight circuit all the way through, once you find power if you get to the next connector and lose it,you have found the problem.
electrics can be very trying, but the more you do the better you get,

Old 06-15-2013, 10:43 PM

Thanks wheelnut, my cbr rear brake light is running and stays on & when i press on the handle brake lever the brake lights turn on so rear lights run normal, being a "weekend mechanic" on regular cars, I'm assuming those are headlight relays. Imma go and purchase them online n install them and go from there. For some reason i really feel that is the culprit eather that or something is simply just wrong with the harness, I just received the new battery and installed it so no more having to jump start it every time!

Thanks on telling me about that rear switch imma check that out tomorrow, it probably is stuck since its been sitting so long. I had to put a "ghetto switch" under the seat so I can run the HIDs directly to the battery and cut them off when the bike is off.

Just sad....

Old 06-17-2013, 03:30 AM
Welcome Crew

hope you get it all sorted

Old 06-18-2013, 06:19 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the Asylum.
Good luck with the wiring.
I have a wiring diagram if you need one...........

Old 06-18-2013, 10:02 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the Forum Edwin

Question the pics in you first post , the first pic is from a Gray Silver Bike'
the others from your Red 91

Do you have more than one ? or was that just for illustration purposes ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to the forums here! Yonkers, NY