CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

New cam chain/tensioner/guide. No power ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 05:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New cam chain/tensioner/guide. No power ???

All
Today I did the new cam chain/ tensioner and guides. I thought this went pretty smooth until I got everything back together. It was hard to start, but finally it started. Rattled like hell at first then it got quiet.Tensioner need to pump up. It is very quiet now as far as the everything I replaced.

Problem is the engine sounds different. It has barely any power. I drove it around the block and it sounded like crap. I have to be off a tooth on the timing. I thought I had everything lined up I followed the how to and I thought everything went well . I had the crank mark on the"T" line and the Intake/ exhaust marks lined up with the edge of the head as noted.

Well I guess I will get back in the motor tomorrow. I knew it went to easy to be good.....

Any input fom ya???

Thanks

Old 03-12-2011, 09:54 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

timing is off gotta turn that motor manually to take cam chain slack out before setting the timing
me thinks

Last edited by Sprock; 03-12-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Sprock
timing is off gotta turn that motor manually to take cam chain slack out before setting the timing
me thinks
+1 dude you deff f*cked with the Timing of the motorcycle that's why I don't do this myself...
I paid for someone to do this for me

Old 03-13-2011, 08:48 AM

Yep today I will re-time the cams and all. I didn;t even ride her a mile yeserday. I must say the chain and tensioner was easy.
This time I will make sure the slack is out of the chain for the gear marks.
I'll keep you all updated.

Thanks all

Old 03-13-2011, 06:21 PM

I set the timining marks 3 times today with not much better luck. I got a small straight edge to make sure she was on the mark. And the crank was on the line next to the "T". What the hell is going on???? SHe ran like ****. The 3rd and last attempt today was to advance the intake mark one tooth. I did that an she cranked right up. Better power but not where she was before I did this. So when i have more time Wed. I will advance her another tooth and hopefully that will be it. This is really simple stuff to me, I can't beleive the problems I am having with this. I have rebuilt car engines, set the timing, adjusted the valves and all that. Even if it takes a week to get right it is still better than paying 1200-1500 dollars is what the local shops wanted. Damn I got to drive the car to work what sux.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:11 PM

All
I have the timing set and she still not running right. Idles great, sounds good, but no power to speak of. Timing marks r dead on. I have done 4 times.

I have 2 marks on my crank "T" and "F". I have it set on "T" with the Intake and exhaust marks lined up. Should I try the "F" mark and reset the Intake and Exhaust . What is the "F" mark is that to advance? It does not saying anything about this in the Haynes manual.

Any thoughts guys....

Old 03-16-2011, 05:19 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might help if you could post some pictures up.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:08 PM

Thanks Hawkwind for replyng. I am in a mess now. I broke 3 bolts off in the cam cradles, not torqueing them down but when I went to loosen them they snapped. There going to have to be drilled out, tapped and a inserts put in. I was going to reinstall everthing one more time. I quess the 23 year old bolts had enough heating and cooling cycles. If I pay someone to do the work it wil probaby be more than the bike is worth.
I can do the work myself, but really don't want to.

With 51k on the bike I may just part her out. I hate to do that, but a newer CBR would be nice. Maybe even a blackbird. I have to sit back
and decide. Sad thing is I had the bike running so well and this happens.
Live and learn, next time I will run it till it breaks. So much for preventative maintenance.

Last edited by hurricanematt; 03-16-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:34 PM

i was going to attempt this but after reading this maybe the noise is not so bad

Quick Reply: New cam chain/tensioner/guide. No power ???