CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

need new frame with title

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 08:35 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess if you live in Africa, the theft of vehicles and attempted "correcting" of frames, etc is an every day thing, far more than in New Zealand. I've had quite a bit to do with a spares/wrecker in your part of the world, name of Daryll at Japdismantlers
The authorities here are very suspicious and check even the style of stamps used for specific bikes, so unless you have the right ones, they'll pick it up, even if the paperwork is correct. As far as engines go, a wrecker is required to give you a police clearance with any engine you buy, to reduce the risk to the buyer.........Then when you sell the bike with the "new" engine you have to take the complete bike in for checking and the authorities will change the logbook to reflect the new engine.
I have a friend who built a beautiful R1 up from spares, only to have it confiscated by the police as they weren't happy with the frame stamps. Didn't get it back and sold at auction later. No compensation either.
It's not worth the risk, especially as you're buying a frame with legitimate numbers, and the old frame doesn't have any value with cracks. All you're doing is saving a little time on the paperwork, and it's not worth it IMO. The consequences are serious.
But yes, I guess you could do it.........................

Just buy Tobiah's bike
Selling mine complete 1994 CBR 1000 f theft recovery.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or you can cut off the part with the VIN at the normal weld points and replace the entire thing. In the US the VIN plate is almost always on the dash. I had a body shop replace the entire body on my Blazer by cutting out the dash from mine and welding it in to the replacement salvaged body. I can see the same concept at work on a bike. It doesn't pay to do it on a stolen bike because the work involved to do it properly is usually more trouble than its worth.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:58 AM

and i'm willing to make a discount for any board member that wants to buy mine.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:34 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Originally Posted by Shadow
I have a friend who built a beautiful R1 up from spares, only to have it confiscated by the police as they weren't happy with the frame stamps. Didn't get it back and sold at auction later. No compensation either.
That's complete BS isn't it?

By confiscating the bike, and then reselling it for the benefit of Government coffers; it has magically been legitimized.

What sort of lifestyle property are you after in NZ Shadow? Nelson is nice.

Old 10-31-2014, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by kiwi TK
That's complete BS isn't it?

By confiscating the bike, and then reselling it for the benefit of Government coffers; it has magically been legitimized.

What sort of lifestyle property are you after in NZ Shadow? Nelson is nice.
The bikes which are confiscated are listed on the logbook as "stolen and recovered" so their value is severely diminished. Yes perhaps BS but it at least tries to keep people on the straight and narrow.

Nelson ? Seems like a good place to have 5 acres and a large barn full of bike rebuilding gear and a few classic bikes. And a big fridge full of ............ Fox glacier is on the bucket list and seeing the Bert Munro bikes.......

Old 11-02-2014, 03:53 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

You know you are always more than welcome Shadow. I think we'll put you up for an overnight at Franz Josef though (where my sister has a motel, probably cut you a pretty good deal there).

The Burt Munro bike experience is well worth the trip. A whole bunch of historic bikes displayed in an operating hardware store.

And (if like Seb) you take the time to make acquaintance with Neville he will take the time to take you out the back and show you all the other sh1te he has tucked away.

While you're in this part of the world there is some other interesting stuff to check out.

Truck Musuem | Transport History | Vehicle Displays | HWR, New Zealand

History

And this is just down the road from home. A motorsport mecca with all sorts of historic race car and bikes in the mueseum.

Home » Highlands Motorsport Park

This place is pretty cool, Peterolhead Breakfast on the third Sunday of every month

Classic car museum, family acitivity lake wanaka, New Zealand » Warbirds and Wheels Museum

Just some interseting stuff to have a look at around where I live.

And, you're right. Nelson is a stunning place; temperate climate, beautiful vistas and property prices that are (internationally) pretty feckin cheap.

I don't understand why eveyone in the world doesn't live there.

Last edited by kiwi TK; 11-02-2014 at 04:00 AM.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:12 AM

Thanks for the input, Tony.
Certainly plenty "to see and do"
I'll be sure to let you know when I hit the ferry ...............

But back on topic for a sec - I often see 1000F frames on the internet, both on e Bay and other sites.