CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 11:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help

Hi I'm new to group I have an 88 hurricane cbr1000 was wondering if someone can help bike was sitting for a while and I have been running it every day while I'm rebuilding the calipers but for some reason after it warms up it turns off it will turn right back on and turn off after another ten min or so any ideas on what it can be I appreciate any help thanks

Old 01-05-2014, 01:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The gas tank vent may be stopped up. Easy test is to see if situation changes with the cap open. On the first generation bikes there is a fuel pump that may have quit too. Check for fuel flow to the carbs with power on. The pump should supply the carbs at 2-4 psi. If the bike has been sitting a lot both items are suspect. If the tank has fuel, it will migrate down to the carbs over time and fill the bowls, but won't be enough to stay running.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:52 PM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Originally Posted by cb2cbr
The gas tank vent may be stopped up. Easy test is to see if situation changes with the cap open. On the first generation bikes there is a fuel pump that may have quit too. Check for fuel flow to the carbs with power on. The pump should supply the carbs at 2-4 psi. If the bike has been sitting a lot both items are suspect. If the tank has fuel, it will migrate down to the carbs over time and fill the bowls, but won't be enough to stay running.
Both answers sound good; note however, power is only supplied to the fuel pump when the engine is running.

So, if you drop the fuel line off, turn the ignition on and the fuel pump doesn't run, don't think you have found the problem. To check the pump without the engine running you need to make up a wee jumper line as detailed in the Haynes manual.

Cheers

Old 01-06-2014, 05:50 AM

Thanks I'll check those things out this weekend.someone was telling me that it was the carbs but she runs good so wasn't sure