CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

need brake upgrade ideas for 96 cbr1000f

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 12:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need brake upgrade ideas for 96 cbr1000f

this bike is my dedicated sport tourer, and many times its got all 3 givi bags full plus a passenger (im about 250 lbs, shes about 130). The bike has the linked braking system which doesnt bother me, even though we ride the bike pretty spiritedly 2up it doesnt seem to interfere.
What i need suggestions on is the brakes. Is there some type of mod, some type of change over to 4 or 6 piston calipers maybe (i think mine has 3). Should i just go with new pads and maybe steel braided lines? This bike just doesnt stop like i need it too when im riding it a little fast...any ideas?

Old 05-26-2010, 12:11 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Should i just go with new pads and maybe steel braided lines? This bike just doesn't stop like i need it too when im riding it a little fast...any ideas?

Yes to both, but only steel braided on the FRONT. The rear is too sensitive as it is.

I think one should consider the amount of mass you're trying to stop - 550 for the bike, 50 + for the luggage, and 380 for riders.
By my calculations that's just under 1000 pounds.
And I think your brakes are 2 pistons, not 3, but I may be wrong.

That's a fair package to stop in a hurry, no matter what bike you ride., or however many pistons you have in your calipers.................

Last edited by Shadow; 05-26-2010 at 12:14 AM.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:20 AM

What brake pads are in it. I changed to HH pads, they get a far better bite in to the disc and he result is much better brakes. Also have braided lines fitted..

Old 05-26-2010, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by Shadow
[B]
And I think your brakes are 2 pistons, not 3, but I may be wrong.
Three pistons for the linked brake models.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:42 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you Paco - I stand corrected
(too lazy to look it up I guess)
The only advantage I can see to having 3 pistons
is perhaps brake pressure AND you'd need a bigger braking surface, ie
bigger discs like the Buell system, and bigger pad surfaces.

If you consider the weight stopped by most new superbike and rider combo's
(too uncomfortable for all but the hardiest pillion) at around 600 pounds all up,
it's not really surprising they have such good stopping power.
Go back a few years to the CB750 - our brakes aren't that bad really,
if you learn to work within the parameters......

Last edited by Shadow; 05-26-2010 at 06:58 AM.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:08 AM

Did you make sure your linked brakes are working properly? There is a procedure for checking them. Mine work excellent riding 2 up and have given me all I ever needed.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:19 AM

hey guys thanks for all the quick responses. I was hoping maybe there was an easy change out, like take the brakes off a vfr or goldwing from the same time frame and trade them out or something, etc....but i guess not.

so the braided lines (front) and maybe try out the hh pads, bicklebock can you explain the procedure to make sure the link brakes are working? I realise this is a lot of weight to stop (especially when youre moving at a good clip) but with the linked brakes i guess i just expect more.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shadow
Go back a few years to the CB750 - our brakes aren't that bad really,
haha!! Yes Pete, I remember how crap they were...ran over the tip of a 'roos tail on mine. Saw it coming for ages, doing about 170kph braked as hard as I could...not much really seemed to happen.

Scotty. More bitey pads would help a bit but they'll wear your disks faster too. I'm much happier with mine de-linked. With them linked the back brake operates the middle piston up front so it's hard to really feel how much front brake you're really putting on with the lever. Since the back brake doesn't do as much under heavy braking, due to the weight tranfer (even two up), you'd probably ease up a bit on the rear brake and therefore there's less piston pressure on the front pads. My

Last edited by davethepom; 05-26-2010 at 05:29 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:35 PM

so dave, are you saying if i delink the brakes, i will have more stopping power up front? My other bike is a ninja 9r, so im really used to never even using the backbrake, but i thought on this bike the linked braking was supposed to be a plus for extra stopping power. Id much rather use all front if its not helping me tho.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's just my thoughts on it Scotty. I felt like I had more power on the front brake straight away after I had it de-linked. I got a mechanic to do mine and he drilled a hole for the fluid to operate the middle piston, as well as the outer two, when you squeeze the lever. I'm not sure how Honda biased the pressures in the system relating to how much the middle piston pushes when you operate the rear brake, but it seems to me that to work properly it'd have to be variable as the weight transfers to the front. Am I making sense??..not sure.

I don't think the linked brakes were for more braking power, just for more even braking. maybe they thought it was safer in the wet or something.

I de-linked mine because I like to drag the back brake slightly when manouvering slowly or parking on full lock and I got sick of the front brake coming on too and trying to make the front tuck in. Also I live on a hill and have to traverse my dodgy driveway when it's a bit wet sometimes. The front brake operating on its own was really causing me grief. When I'm riding hard on dry road the back brake is only token as it does so little, just for stability really.

The feeling of extra front braking power was just a bonus really..not why I de-linked.

I'd be interested if any of the others who have de-linked have noticed the extra braking power....Just my thoughts mate based on my own experience. Braided front lines will definately help heaps too.

Quick Reply: need brake upgrade ideas for 96 cbr1000f