CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

my only ride please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 08:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy my only ride please help

okay this is a long one (sorry) but i want to try and cover everything as to make the answer easier to achieve

To start off Im 17 this is the bike i use for my 55 mile one way ride (yes i commute 110 miles 5 days a week) to school and work i have been just gritting my teeth and trying to find the answer and it has eaten any and all my free time i made a post over in the general tech no real answers though I do dirt was very helpful but i think the F section will yield greater responses

the bike is a 93 1000F
base gaskets on carbs failed do to sitting
i pulled the carbs replaced base gaskets and t fitting o rings did not do anything but spray out the jets with compressor and spray some b-12 carb cleaner in there

bike stopped leaking fuel but idled really rough and the rpm drops soooooo! slow so i got on the form READ SO MUCH found two guys similar problems and then decided a good slide cleaning was in order they ended up being verry dirty so thought great ive got it now the bike still in use 5 days a week through all of this the entire post need i remind you

in basic when i pull up to a stop sign or just coast (via pulling in the clutch) it wont let me lower the rpms bellow 4K that is without loading the engine but it will slowly and i mean slowly drop to a very rough idle once stopped and sitting not in the same way as the other guy who posted about a similar issue the difference being that mine will do this in neutral and when stopped wherever you rev it to it falls real slow up to 4k that is it drops to 4 fine not fun to stop i got so annoyed i just turned it off at red lights

i pulled and acid bathed the carbs and this time I cleaned the needles and inspected the tiny o-rings all seemed in order but found the jets set from 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 turns out???????? my dad seems to think its like this for my V&H pipe but i dont think it would be more out but rather a hair in do to the more free flow nature of the system but the staring point is 2 1/2 out with like a 1/4 turn in or out for adjustment so set it to 2 1/2

after shes good and warm is the only time it will idle and bobs from 1200 RPM down to 1000 RPM and back up already checked plugs, volts, and spark all seem to be on par and its got NGK platinum or double not sure but ngks only a 1000 miles on them look like ran rich plugs but in nice shape

in list form
1 cleaned carbs
2 adjusted D shaped air mixture screw
3 cleaned slides
4 checked all boots for air leaks
5 checked spark

im thinking really out of sync carbs or maybe a sticky needle do to weak spring...... cant find springs anywhere though anybody know where to get them?????

is it just loading up with fuel causing a hang time?????

gunna carb sync tomorrow only thing left to do besides a valve adjustment unless i can come up with a different answer

i dont think the carb sync is gunna help my issue (the main one that is_but it needs to be done anyways) i will let you know if it fixed it tomorrow

im just really discouraged thank you for any help

Old 09-17-2013, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Firstly don't be discouraged - you'll solve the problem and have a great bike.

Let assume all on your list was done properly, so.......

1 cleaned carbs
2 adjusted D shaped air mixture screw
3 cleaned slides
4 checked all boots for air leaks (did you check using aero start whilst bike was idling?)
5 checked spark

Are all good.

So, things that are going to effect your idle are fuel or air.

So, other things to check.

1. Vacuum lines. Are they all good, seated correctly and no leaks?
2. Did you check needles and seats in the carb float bowls?
3. Have you checked that the rubber diaphragms on the slides are not perforated and seated properly when you put the carbs back together?
4. Are the carb overflows clear?

How does the bike 'go' on the 55 mile trip? Revs are fine when overtaking?

If we attack the problem in a logical manner we should be able to solve it.

Cheers, SB

Old 09-17-2013, 09:23 PM

F*** yeah! she goes fine like a bat out of HELL it the stops thats got her beat

i replaced the vacuum line put new clamps on it checked the petcock and its screen

inspected slides twice and have played with the idler a metric F ton if i back it out to idle at 800rpms it helps the problem a little and moves the hang from 4k rpm to 3k rpms

checked needle seats to twice cause i was positive thats what would cause this but they seem right on par

i understand being a skeptic of the work of a 17 year old but this is what i do i have tuned and rebuilt 27 sets of carburetors from all walks of life its what i did for a weekend job and i only ran my busyness by word of mouth so my work speaks for its self in a way but at the same time thats why i feel so beat at this point

and SB (If your cool with SB) thanks a million for the timely response

im the kid with the family Honda if you do remember..........family not mechanically inclined though

Last edited by 93_cbr1000f; 09-17-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

No disrespect to your spannering skills whatsoever! It's great that you can - and do - your own maintenance.

So if it goes fine at speed it means the idle circuits is most likely the problem.

Have you checked the needles on the slides are straight? One wasn't dropped?

I'm scratching my head at the moment.

Have a read of this while I ponder.

motorcycle notes : If you are having carb problems . . .

Cheers, SB

Old 09-17-2013, 09:47 PM

i never get offended about work i have done and unless i said i did it twice feel free to point it out i am human and make mistakes speak freely....or even if i did it twice......im smart not cocky of my work

i said the same thing i went at the idler circuits like a mad! man! no results

maybe put some sealant on the mixture screws?? read that some where

the needles where kept on a fabric covered work bench and babied they are very sensitive (learned the hard way on a older bike)

Old 09-17-2013, 09:51 PM

see! now that you mention it the number two needle had a pitch to the right from the first time i pulled it out

could this one needle be my entire issue?

Last edited by 93_cbr1000f; 09-17-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

Possibly, as that may not be allowing the slide to drop - or drops it too slowly.

Cheers, SB

Old 09-17-2013, 10:51 PM

okay sb if you will hang with me here im going to make and post a video link of them dropping and see what you think.....

i personally found it sluggish all of them

Last edited by 93_cbr1000f; 09-17-2013 at 10:58 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 93_cbr1000f
okay sb if you will hang with me here im going to make and post a video link of them dropping and see what you think.....

i personally found it sluggish all of them

Not a problem - I'm stuck trying to look intelligent at a field day. Thank goodness it has WiFi

Post the video and let's have a look.

Cheers, SB

Old 09-17-2013, 11:54 PM

lol.........its 12:30AM my side of the world

and yes she has been rode in the nude for the last week......no pun intended

how ya like my fancy led on the end of flex tube first time i saw it said how did i live this long without it just like a good knife it always comes in handy

the order of carbs in the vid is 1 2 1 4 3 4 2 fell the fastest
guess we know the solution bend them all!

IMG_07772_zpsbf16071a.mp4 Video by codywwilkins | Photobucket

just in case the other doesn't work

My 1000f slides - YouTube

Last edited by 93_cbr1000f; 09-18-2013 at 12:38 AM.

Quick Reply: my only ride please help