CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

My name is Kevin & I'm short...

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 12:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My name is Kevin & I'm short...

->> Insert short jokes here.................

OK, so I'm 173cm tall, which is 5 ft 8 inches in old money. I just got to take my FK for the first real run today after buying it in June and working on it over winter.

I discovered that I'm getting (apparently) an edge of air off the front screen which is hitting me in the lower front part of my helmet, making an unbelievable amount of turbulent wind noise around my ears.

Its actually so loud that I could barely hear the bike.

However, I discovered that by arching my back and sitting (uncomfortably) upright, I lifted my head by probably an inch or so and suddenly I'm in a space that is relatively quiet and more like what I was expecting from a fully faired bike.

Anyone else of similar height experience the same thing, and if so, how did you solve it?

->> Insert short jokes here too I guess. Go on, you know you want too...

I was looking at a windscreen with an upturned edge on it to move things around, maybe something like this one below? My concern is that currently I seem to be underneath the sweet spot, so flicking it upwards with one of these might be the wrong thing to do.

Any (cheap) suggestions would be appreciated. My helmet is a HJC CL-12 which is an old model and probably makes more noise than its modern equivalent, but, the amount of noise I'm hearing seems disproportionate.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:50 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm 6' in old money - with a std screen on a Mk2 it hit me in the chest - fitted a touring screen and now it goes over my head.
Buy the screen - you'll be glad you did.

And no short jokes - leave that up to you...............
Welcome to the asylum !

BTW I ran a CL12 for quite a while - wind noise same as my Arai Quantum F so the helmet isn't the problem.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:43 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

The cheap option is a broken bug deflector off a Hi-Lux.

Can't take the credit for this idea, it belongs to kiwi JK.

Anyhow, free broken bug deflector, bit of work with a hot air gun (20 minutes @ 28c/kwH) and Robert is your fathers brother.

Two deflectors produced that kick the air up high enough to get over our helmets, mind you we're both 188cm + so you might need a bit more hot air gun work.

Last edited by kiwi TK; 10-07-2012 at 03:14 AM.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:40 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

MRA Touring Screens - I'm over 6 and had to do for same reasons as Shadow

Shipped to order - 6 weeks from Germany to the US prolly longer to the Land of the Kiwi

Last edited by Sprock; 10-07-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:01 PM

Im 5' & 7" so just a little shorter, would like to have an input here, but only having the bike a week and crashing it on friday, cant really say much, but i also sit a little upright to, so I will also look at the touring screen to help me to when I rebuild the bike. thanks for that one.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:02 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the Powerbronze flip screen, looks good and does the job well.

Powerbronze UK International -

Don't know what the market is like where you are, but here it's easy to sell a screen and almost get full retail price back. So if you don't like it, you can sell it and get your money back

Old 10-08-2012, 12:20 AM

Cool, thanks for the feedback. I'm probably going to buy one of the screens pictured above from Eagle Screens in Oz, so I will report back when it arrives.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:08 PM

Honda did a lot of wind-tunnel testing to cut the air turbulence. That's the reason for the cut-outs. Wind flows on both sides of the screen. I don't think it's good to interrupt that airflow, but it seems to be OK to extend the same airflow higher over your helmet.

I have the Zero Gravity Sport Touring screen that is the same shape as stock, but 4-inches-longer. Windscreen Innovators - Zero GravityThe airstream hits me at the top of my helmet, where it used to hit me under my chin with the stock screen.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by slowpoke
I have the Zero Gravity Sport Touring screen that is the same shape as stock, but 4-inches-longer. Windscreen Innovators - Zero GravityThe airstream hits me at the top of my helmet, where it used to hit me under my chin with the stock screen.
Thanks - do you have a picture of how it looks?

Old 10-08-2012, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by slowpoke
Honda did a lot of wind-tunnel testing to cut the air turbulence. That's the reason for the cut-outs. Wind flows on both sides of the screen. I don't think it's good to interrupt that airflow, but it seems to be OK to extend the same airflow higher over your helmet.
As a test, I actually plugged those inlets just to see what difference it made to my problem - and the result was no change at all. But this was at 100 kmh / 60 mph.

Quick Reply: My name is Kevin & I'm short...