CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

My CBR1000F 1990 is very hard to start!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 02:50 PM
hmm
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My CBR1000F 1990 is very hard to start!

I have the opposite problem to the recent 1997 thread. She starts easily on choke when cold, but if I stop her when warm e.g. to fill up, then go to start her again she is very reluctant. I thought it might be because I recently replaced the battery with a Chinese-made one, and have been turning off all lights, retracting the side stand and pulling the clutch lever in to help the battery as much as possible. Then once, after a couple of non-starts, I let the clutch lever out while the starter motor turned and she kicked into life straight away. I thought it was a coincidence but she does this every time!
I thought our bikes could be started with the clutch lever in? Faulty clutch switch?
Any ideas? Should I try a new battery?
She's also very rattly when cold and seems to take longer than usual to lose the rattle, but she seems to ride really well and when I get to the end of my commute (125 miles, speeds up to 130mph, motorways and twisties) she sounds rattle-free (but idle goes up and down a bit).
Do I need to worry about the cam chain yet? She's done nearly 40,000 miles.
Thanks all.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:09 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Hmm,
that sounds a bit weird. Starts ok with the clutch lever out but not with it in? Hmmm.... I don't know what that suggests other than a faulty or mis-wired switch but if it works without the lever pulled in then the answer is pretty obvious isn't it.
A good battery on these bikes is a must but if it tests ok then don't waste money changing it till it chucks a real wobbly, or preferably just before.

About the rattles.
In my opinion if you don't know the bikes history then at 40K it's probably worth changing the cam chain but the CBR is notorious for rattling cam chains. The tensioner is over complicated and inherently badly designed.
Once you've got the chain changed and if necessary the tensioner too you can at least rest easy if it starts making a noise again. They generally seem to after as little as 10K but keep your oil topped up and you shouldn't have too much trouble. If it does then plough on until it quietens down.
Oil level is important to monitor as the tensioner uses oil to keep the back lash in check.
Glad to hear you're using her properly though. When it comes to a good run English roads are hard to beat eh?
I take it you don't work in London if you're doing 125 miles a day.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:27 AM

Are you starting the bike when its' in neutral?

I dont know if the battery is your problem, but one thing I would not cut costs on is a bike battery. I have had all sorts of problems with cheap or bad batteries in every bike I have owned. To me, its worth the 80 bucks to buy a Westco battery. Its a good investment. Especially if you ride in the winter.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:43 PM
hmm
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HenryM
I take it you don't work in London if you're doing 125 miles a day.
Henry
Thanks for the info re the rattles. Any idea how much a dealer would charge to do the job? I don't feel confident enough to do it myself.
I have to commute to Cheltenham a couple of times a week. Tolworth-A3-Worplesdon-Bracknell-M4-Chieveley-Wantage-Faringdon-Lechlade-Cirencester-Cheltenham. Remarkably varied and fun route, lots of twisties, bit of motorway work, plenty of high-speed rural sections.
Trouble is I'm now expected to work there five days a week so am probably going to take redundancy. Suppose I should find a job closer to home. I won't miss the old job but I will miss the ride!
hmm

Old 07-29-2010, 01:32 AM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Hmm,
I am really out of touch with what bike shops charge for labour these days. I could guess but you'd be better off getting a quote from some place you can trust.
I would say that you should get a general service, take the opinion of the shop as to whether the cam chain needs changing although if you don't know the history up to 40K miles it's probably a wise move to do it now and while they're in there do the tensioner as well. For the sake of another £75.00 you may as well.
Finally get the carbs synched and she'll probably be running as well as you could possibly expect.

London to Cheltenham-
What a lovely ride. I know the route well and completely agree with you about the variety of roads. Shame it's coming to an end work-wise. You could always get a little flat there. I enjoyed living there for a few months while working there a few years back. Great town.

Well it's time I hopped into the saddle and went to work, with a brand new screen I fitted last night.
Take care mate