CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Moving from NY to Texas. Anyone in TX?

Old 04-07-2014, 05:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving from NY to Texas. Anyone in TX?

Hello all,
I'm moving from NY to San Antonio.

Anyone living in this city? any maintenance I should do to prepare the cane for the heat over there? Better yet anything for me to prepare? Gear? Helmet? Etc. I currently own a leather jacket and a mixed leather and canvas jacket. 2 bell full faced helmets, a riding jean and a pair of icon boots (look like the construction timberland)

Any info would be great. Or if any one lives there would also be awesome.

Thanks

Old 04-07-2014, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by jlpinedas
Hello all, I'm moving from NY to San Antonio.

Anyone living in this city? any maintenance I should do to prepare the cane for the heat over there? Better yet anything for me to prepare? Gear? Helmet? Etc. I currently own a leather jacket and a mixed leather and canvas jacket. 2 bell full faced helmets, a riding jean and a pair of icon boots (look like the construction timberland)
You'll mostly be using the canvas jacket! I'm in Houston, which is about parallel to San Anton' on the globe, but its a bit higher and further away from the coast (meaning a bit less humidity). But be ready for a constant 90*+ temps (and higher humidity I suspect than NY).

Can't think of anything special to do to the bike, unless you've made adjustments for NY weather.

You're lucky enough to be within quick riding distance to Bandera and its twisty road route.

Welcome to Texas!

Old 04-07-2014, 09:59 AM

Thanks caldercay!

I had not mod the bike in any way special. I don't think the previous owner either. I had ridden here in NY in 95* weather and found the bike gets hot when on a red light stop but once i get riding it cools off. I use regular coolant. Is there something else that will help to reduce the temperature.

I was only for 2 days in San Anton' and only saw 2 bikes. Well i was in down town so i imagine no much traffic there.

I have to check Bandera as i'm not familiar with Texas at all.

Thanks for welcoming!

Old 04-07-2014, 05:22 PM

I use regular coolant. Is there something else that will help to reduce the temperature.
I'd do some riding around town and on the back roads and determine if you truly have an overheating issue.

Anyway, you could "search this forum" and enter "thermostat" ... there's a few threads offering alternate thermostats, such as this:
https://cbrforum.com/forum/alternati...mostat-147964/

There are other threads with users sharing "temperature" opinions.

You might consider using a little bit of a "super coolant". I've seen some on the shelf at my local Honda dealership (Honda of Houston), but not sure which brand (I *think* it's Red Line Wetter Water).

I have to check Bandera as i'm not familiar with Texas at all.
Here's a couple links:
Motorcycle Riding in the Texas Hill Country

Gruene-Fredericksburg-Bandera Loop | Texas Motorcycle Roads and Rides | MotorcycleRoads.com

Old 04-07-2014, 07:03 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have been in Texas many times and can tell you that when it rains, the roads get very very slick, nothing like back in NY. I'm currently working south of Dallas. From my 4th floor hotel room I can't see any rain but can hear thunder as I am typing.

If you plan on riding in Texas, bring rain gear if you don't want to get soaked. The sun can be out and it can be pouring out. OK now it pouring out there.

My best advise is to be careful of slick wet roads.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:03 PM

Drivers here are stupid so be a bit more alert than normal. It will take some time getting used to the frontage "service" roads and exiting way before whatever business you're trying to get to.
The riding season is a bit longer than most places. There is a helmet exemption law so you'll see people riding without their helmet.
cant think of anything else right now. I live in S.A. but am fairly new to riding myself.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:12 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Joshua Rodriguez
Drivers here are stupid
Its because 50% of them are texting while driving. I had to honk at a texting mom this morning who was sitting at a green light while a young one in the rear child seat was looking on.

Got to admit, not as bad a Augsata, GA where I was last week where 95% are texting at the wheel.

These people here are weaving all over the place while texting. I'm afraid they will come into my lane. The speed limits here are 70 MPH. Its a bad problem.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:49 PM
April 2014 ROTM

Illinois finally made texting while driving illegal last year, and talking on the phone while driving also, unless you use a hands free device. I still see people do it all the time though, and i've yet to hear of someone being ticketed for it.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:24 PM

It was that way in wa too. No one got tickets until they made it into a primary offense where an officer could stop you for only texting or talking on phone without hands free. I wish texas would enact that law as well. It would cut down on needless deaths, accidents and drop down insurance rates as well.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:22 AM

I've been riding in Texas for the past 7 years and never had a issue until I moved to the valley (see Rio Grande Valley) I lived in Austin and even though you had the oblivious cell phone users most people respected the bike and stayed in their lane, yielded and generally obeyed the traffic laws but the further south I travel the less that seems to be the case. You will want to consider getting a mesh jacket and pants for extended summer riding and yes always bring some sort of rain gear. There is a reason they say "If you don't like the weather just wait five minutes" here. I purchased my bike from a gentleman in Maryland and had overheating issues the first summer I rode here. Discovered the heat range on the plugs mixed with the carb tuning had a lot to do with it. once I purchased the correct plugs and tuned the bike for this elevation the overheating disappeared. With the exception of the time I had to sit in a traffic jam for over an hour in 100+ temps it hasn't overheated since.

Also look into riding FM1431 from Austin/Cedar park to Marble Falls. Nice twisties and elevation changes on that route and major highways most of the way to and from 1431 to San Antonio.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Moving from NY to Texas. Anyone in TX?