CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Motor seized up cam chain super tight

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 07:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor seized up cam chain super tight

My motor locked up yesterday.
The cam chain is really super tight. I have it out and on my bench I'm going to start ripping her apart. Any thoughts or comments will be appreciated.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:55 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

What is causing it to not turn?

Old 07-09-2015, 11:02 PM

Well I broke the motor down some I took the cams out motor still wouldn't turn over loosen the number 3 connecting rod and motor started to spin took it apart to see nothing wrong with any of it put it back together ran it for a few minutes ran fine shut it off try to start again motor is seized I think it could possibly be jumping time but I don't know if it would be just turning it off because it runs just fine

Old 07-09-2015, 11:48 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You say the motor is seized. Do you mean the starter won't turn it, or do you mean you cannot turn it with a socket on the crank?

Also, did it seize while running, or did you try to start it and it was seized then.

If the former you may have oil supply problems, although you say you found nothing wrong with the number three rod which would indicate no problems there.

If the latter you might consider a stuck float valve that filled a cylinder with fuel, causing hydrolock. To check for that, pull the spark plugs, put a rag over the cam cover, and turn the engine using a socket on the crank. If fuel squirts out of a cylinder you've found the problem. You can use the starter to crank it over if you don't mind taking a gasoline shower and possibly burning the garage down. I don't recommend it.

By the way, punctuation would make your post easier to read. No offense intended, just a polite suggestion.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:04 AM

You're right it looks very hard to read without punctuation.

The motor seized again after shutting off.

No fuel is in the cylinders or very little.

The motor wont turn by starter, by crank, or by pushing it down the driveway and putting and get in gear.

My thoughts here are that it can't be cam related because it would not turn even with the cams out.

So it must be crank related because after removing the cams I went to the lower end and once I got to cylinder number 3 it started to rotate again.

Do you think the bearing could just be worn enough to cause this without noticeable damage? Or do you think I may be missing something in my thought process? Any feedback is very much appreciated.

Old 07-10-2015, 11:03 AM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see you're looking for a new engine. Does that mean you've found expensive repairs needed for the one you have?

Anyway, it sounds like you have lubrication problems. You should find signs of scoring on the crank / bearings if it's gone very far, but it's possible you've caught it before serious damage has been caused. If you haven't a lot of experience rebuilding engines have someone experienced take a look at things and make some recommendations. Afterthought: take a look at the main bearings also.

Last edited by DRam; 07-10-2015 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Afterthought.
Old 07-10-2015, 04:14 PM

Looking for a new engine out of frustration.

I wouldn't mind rebuilding the engine.

How hard is it to find out which bearing for the crank goes in which location? I'm asking because they are color coded and very sensitive on tolerances.

Old 07-11-2015, 04:56 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't bother with a rebuild on that motor where the crank seems done.

I'll see what I can find out your way for a motor somewhere that won't break the bank

Old 07-11-2015, 08:35 PM

I can find cranks on ebay.

How to find all new bearings?

Old 07-12-2015, 04:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I agree with Sprock, best to find a good second hand motor and slot it in.

You don't know why the crank bent and that's what it sounds like if you loosen off the conrod nuts for 3 and it spins. Putting a new crank in might not fix the underlying cause. (hydrolock??).

I had a 'rebuilt' VW Golf motor the same that I bought from some wizzkid. Bent crank - so I salvaged all the bits I could and found another second hand motor and built that up. Sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet.

Cheers, SB

Quick Reply: Motor seized up cam chain super tight