CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

M.o.t

Old 07-30-2014, 04:01 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M.o.t

well the old girl was due her mot last week, so the week before checked her over and found my rear disc was cracked, not sure if this was from the rear calliper sticking through the winter or a cheap disc, any how found a cbr 600f front right disc on ebay (5mm and true) and the 6 disc bolts (all good with a clean) for £15.00 including postage, got that on (manage to do it without removing the wheel right out) as you need 3 pairs of hands to get it back in, then got her out to take her to work and for her test and lo and behold the choke cable snapped, she can play up a bit with no enricher, so new cable here will fit will book her back in for the weekend, fingers crossed

Old 07-30-2014, 04:21 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Wheelnut (and others): there is actually an inexpensive tool that will stop removing and replacing the rear wheel the frustrating and multi-handed operation that it can be.

A 300mm long piece of 18mm dowel. Use it to (gently) drive the rear axle out from the RHS. You need to stop driving at the point where the dowel has passed through the caliper holder and spacer and before it has started entering into the rear wheel proper.

At this point you should be able to pull the axle from the LHS without the caliper, spacer and any other associated gubbins on the RHS all falling on the floor.

Reinstall is obviously the reverse, but does not require a qualification in advanced swearing as the traditional method does.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:39 AM
Welcome Crew

your not wrong kiwi, I chocked mine up, then pull the spindle out past the calliper mount and took the mounting bracket out, this just gives room to remove the disc, (just make sure you undo the disc bolts before)

Old 07-30-2014, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by wheelnut
your not wrong kiwi, I chocked mine up, then pull the spindle out past the calliper mount and took the mounting bracket out, this just gives room to remove the disc, (just make sure you undo the disc bolts before)
Of course, you're right. I forgot to mention the bit about the two handy bits of split firewood to support the rear wheel through both of these procedures.

They just come to hand so naturally, I just simply assumed everyone has conveniently sized bits of firewood in their garage.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:16 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi TK
I just simply assumed everyone has conveniently sized bits of firewood in their garage.
A perfectly natural assumption , we may have to give you honorary
"Mainer" Citizenship for that TK

I always keep at least 4 nice triangular pieces in mine

Old 07-30-2014, 01:30 PM

I use a wooden dowel to drive out the axle, And let the spacers fall out so I can check the status of the bearings and clean any corrosion up. When remounting the wheel I will gently tap the axle back in with a rubber mallet while the tire is resting on a block of wood. I use my thighs while sitting down to adjust the tire as needed. Much easier to get the caliper and spacers back in!

Old 07-31-2014, 04:32 PM
August 2014 ROTM

Never thought of using wood under the rear tyre. All I have ever done is used a small trolley jack under the engine with a piece of wood. Just jack up to lift front and put rear on floor. Remove axle and lower jack.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:16 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by john lindley
Never thought of using wood under the rear tyre. All I have ever done is used a small trolley jack under the engine with a piece of wood. Just jack up to lift front and put rear on floor. Remove axle and lower jack.
eer...............yeah we all know that

Old 08-01-2014, 03:51 AM
Welcome Crew

my oh my, I didn't realize chocking a back wheel causes so much interest (lol)cant get me smilies working), my chocks are covered in rubber mating which holds the wheel secure enough to undo the bolts too, will let you know how the mot goes

Old 08-01-2014, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by wheelnut
my oh my, I didn't realize chocking a back wheel causes so much interest (lol)cant get me smilies working), my chocks are covered in rubber mating which holds the wheel secure enough to undo the bolts too, will let you know how the mot goes
You what?. Firewood covered in rubber matting?

Totally flash git; I bet you have one of those really spanky garages with black and white floor tiles, and those big roll around red Snap On tool chests too?

Last edited by kiwi TK; 08-01-2014 at 06:35 AM.

Search this Thread