CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

looking for the guy who drilled out the stock exhaust and used bolts to quiet it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for the guy who drilled out the stock exhaust and used bolts to quiet it?

So im a little late to the party lol......ive owned my 96 cbr 1000f since the early 2000's and was running a 4 into 1 with vance pipe after a couple of close calls. So my engine went kablam and i had another put in last week, and decided to go back with the original dual exhaust. While i really enjoy the bike quiet (or at least quieter than the 4 into 1), im a little nervous about riding the bike as is, i mean its whisper quiet at speed.

So i had been researching slip-ons and saw some of the posts here about doing the drill mod into the cans.....one guy had done his but threaded it so he could screw in bolts when he wanted to quiet it back down. Does anybody know first hand exactly how quiet it makes the bike? Does it take it all the way back to stock sound? This seems like it would be the perfect way to go....when you are going to be in traffic take the bolts out....when you are going for a ride thru the mountains and feel the nature commune thing you could slip them back in.

Old 09-21-2016, 02:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a guy that did the drill exhaust for a 94. He's a forum member

Old 09-25-2016, 04:27 AM

"Loud pipes saves lives" is a myth. Google it and you'll find lots of evidence, like this one.

What you need is a better horn. I recently installed a Wolo Bad Boy on the ST1300 and it makes a world of difference. My 'Wing has a "car" type horn, which is a familiar sound that drivers respond to.

I plan to do the same farkle to the Hurricane and NC700.

Another thing to consider is noise pollution. My neighbors, and other areas I ride to, folks compliment me concerning the respectful sound of my bikes. Loud exhausts are actually annoying to cagers - I know, cause I drive a car on occassion.

I've been riding for 40+ years, and every incident I'm familiar with, the loud exhaust didn't help.

Old 09-25-2016, 08:57 AM

My exhaust is for me!

Old 09-26-2016, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by caldercay
"Loud pipes saves lives" is a myth. Google it and you'll find lots of evidence, like this one.

What you need is a better horn. I recently installed a Wolo Bad Boy on the ST1300 and it makes a world of difference. My 'Wing has a "car" type horn, which is a familiar sound that drivers respond to.

I plan to do the same farkle to the Hurricane and NC700.

Another thing to consider is noise pollution. My neighbors, and other areas I ride to, folks compliment me concerning the respectful sound of my bikes. Loud exhausts are actually annoying to cagers - I know, cause I drive a car on occassion.

I've been riding for 40+ years, and every incident I'm familiar with, the loud exhaust didn't help.
while i agree a louder horn would help and really loud pipes are annoying, not just to me when im not on a bike, but also to me while im riding one.....Im not sold on the idea that something louder than the whisper quiet im riding in now wouldnt be safer.

I had a couple of incidents where a louder horn wouldnt have made a difference i dont believe, which made me put the louder pipes on to begin with. The last incident involved me riding on a 4 lane highway, i was in the left lane passing a car and about the time i was almost to his door he changes lanes into mine.....luckily i caught the movement and hit the brakes or he would have taken me out.

Now granted that was about 15 years ago and now i know to ride much more defensively, but last sunday when i was out on the bike it was hard to relax when i was around traffic. I know a louder pipe isnt a complete cure, but before i put the pipe on i must have had 3 or 4 close calls, and for probably 12 years after the pipe, not a one.

Im just trying to find a nice middle ground....i dont want crazy loud i just want something more than a whoosh sound....but it would also be nice to plug the holes back up for quiet when im up in the mountains (i live on the edge of the blue ridge mountains).

Old 09-27-2016, 10:38 AM

rather have loud exhaust and **** off some neighbors in the morning then be dead on the road because they couldn't hear me

Old 09-27-2016, 11:32 AM

Louder than stock exhaust is part of an overall strategy to avoid a collision with a 4 wheel vehicle. Never relax your vigilance; remember you pay for your mistakes as well as those of others. We all take this risk willingly.

Old 09-28-2016, 03:29 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by scottycoyote
Now granted that was about 15 years ago and now i know to ride much more defensively,
I think the key word is defensively.

Originally Posted by caldercay
"Loud pipes saves lives" is a myth.

I see no advantage to loud pipes. I have ridden with and without them. I have 45 years in the saddle. I think the saying was made up by the Harley clan because they can take a hack saw to their pipes and get away with it. On a metric bike you will get ticketed.

I like, RED BIKES SAVES LIVES, just made that one up. Sounds good to me.
Most bike accidents where it is not the riders fault usually involves a stationary bike getting hit, or the 4 wheeled vehicle pulls out into its path. You can,t hear any bike with windows up while pulling out with a radio on.
Bright lights saves lives.

I actuality think real loud pipes cause confusion. Think about how many times you look around to try to figure out where the sound is echoing from, when a very loud bike goes by.

I have seen many many more loud Harleys piled up than I have seen whisper quiet metric bikes. It also has a lot to do with the riders skills.

Originally Posted by Jaybird180
My exhaust is for me!
Yes it is. That's why I wouldn't drill mine. It sounds like a leaky exhaust system.

Originally Posted by Jaybird180
Never relax your vigilance
Amen to that.

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 09-28-2016 at 03:34 PM.