CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Internal bar weight compatibility?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 06:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Internal bar weight compatibility?

Hi guys!

Received my nice new CBR bar end weights off Fleabay a couple of weeks back and finally got them fitted - nice.

Then I got hit by a dumb-*** Somali "driving" a taxi on my ride in to work last week, and ended up taking most of the impact on the bar end, the silencer and my right hip (to protect the plastics)! I didn't fall off, luckily, but when I stopped the taxi driver to explain why changing lanes without indicating or even looking wasn't a great idea unless you're looking to actually kill people, I got a little pissed off with his attitude and remodelled his passenger side door for him with my size 11 boot.

Anyhoo - I thought I'd just lost the bar end, but when I got to work and inspected things a bit closer, I realised that the inner bar weight had also been snapped off.

Now I need another set of end weights and a new inner weight as well!

Are there any other models of inner weight that will fit my old '88 CBR1000F? This is the first bike I've ever had that had inner weights (that I know of), and I've been scouring Ebay for some to save on the £15 each or thereabouts from the Honda online parts dealers... (It looks like I lost the weight retaining clip (that round, large circlip type thingy that holds the weight in place) as well...

Any thoughts?

I don't like the messy look of the unfinished bar ends without the end weights on - and it looks a bit daft with the end weight on the LHS and nothing on the RHS!

Cheers all!

Dave.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:29 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Dave, first let me say, I'm glad you survived your encounter and I hope you're not feeling too sore from your accident!

Secondly, well done re-modelling his passenger door!

Originally Posted by DaveS-UK
This is the first bike I've ever had that had inner weights (that I know of)
This is news to me as well Dave, didn't realise there was an inner and outer weight. The clips come up very rarely on E-bay.

Maybe look on e-bay for a complete bike that is being broken and e-mail them for the parts you need?

Old 06-27-2012, 09:39 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave I got a late model inner bar weight into my 87 that had the end "neck" snapped
off - so yeah it can be done - it's those little bastard circlips hold them in that are a
pain in the **** - lube up inside the tube good to get the old one out and vice versa

Old 07-02-2012, 03:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hawkwind - cheers mate... Yeah - it was a bit of a surprise to me when the RH inner bar weight started working its way out of the throttle tube on the very first ride I had on her, bringing her from S.Wales back up to Birmingham. There were no end weights on either side, but I never realised there was a chunky bit of metal bar stuffed up the tube, helping to ease some of the vibes until I saw it poking further and further out.

To stop it sliding out all the way and taking out someone's windscreen on the motorway behind me, I rode the rest of the way with a couple of fingers curled up around the end of the bar, holding the weight in place for the next 100 miles or so...

Sprock - thanks! All I need is another bloody tricky job to add to the list!!

I've seen from the microfiches that they're using the same inner weight for the later models, but on one of the parts sites, they show a choice of three different rubbers Honda Motorcycle Parts / Honda Parts | Honda Cars | Honda Motorcycles | Honda Power Products | Lings Honda all with different product codes???

Ahh - just answered my own question... Depends on serial number. Mine's the later one - ok...

If I can't find a set of intact inner weights from someone breaking a 1000F, I can imagine getting those rubbers over the larger diameter of the main weight tube is gonna be fun.

Does the retaining circlip locate anywhere in the tube in particular? (Sorry about the crappy diagram - graphic design is NOT my strongpoint!)

I don't want to get some nice new weights, rubbers and circlips and have the whole lot slide out when I'm least expecting it!!!

Dave.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:00 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That little circlip has two tabs that pop into two holes in the end of the bar about
1 cm in, make sure it goes right the first time as they can be a pain to get out
without pulling the throttle tube and control off .

BTW I have a weight and circlip - yours for the price of whatever it takes to post !

Let me know

Last edited by Sprock; 07-02-2012 at 05:05 PM.