CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Inspecting CBR1000F

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 09:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inspecting CBR1000F

Hi all:
I'm new to this forum. I am going to go look at an '88 'cane. It has 59000 km on the clock. Is there anything that I should look at that is a known problem with these bikes? The fairings are off the bike at the moment so I can see all the motor and trans. I noticed that the coolant needed to be filled up and the bike has been sitting for about a year. I couldn't see any obvious leaks so not sure what happened to the coolant. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Duane

Old 08-17-2012, 09:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have a look at the oil. The coolent must be going somewhere you want to make sure it's not a bad head gasket. If the oil looks like chocolate milk chances are you will need a head gasket. Can you hear the bike run? The cam chain tensioners are a known issue. Listen for excess engine notice on a cold startup.

Obviously I would also look at all the normal wear items fork seals, chain and sprockets, battery. It adds up quick. Good luck they're great bikes.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:13 PM
Banned

Dump the coolant and the engine oil and replace with fresh to start with ( if you buy it ). If the bike has been sitting for a year I wouldn't be to worried if you had to add a little coolant. That's a long time to sit and some could have escaped. Obviously if you filled it up with fresh stuff and its still escaping then yes you may have a blown gasket or other leak in the cooling system. When you buy old bikes you are taking a chance on them.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:24 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome, and heed the above advice. Also, give your locale. There may be a member here who can guide you through the basics. There's guys here that know their stuff, even the guys down in Australia

Old 08-18-2012, 03:08 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oil - clean and clear
Forks - leaking or not
brakes - pads, rotors, fluid color
Coolant - pop the rad cap - hope to see clear coolant !
Tires - no explanation necessary
Chain - wear etc
Fuel System Carbs- check tank for rust and carbs for leaks

- See if the seller can start it - 500 off for a no start

Old 08-18-2012, 10:47 AM

Thanks for the replies all.
I looked at the oil and it wasn't milky. I didn't see any leaking from any hoses or fittings either. There was a little bit of oil residue on the forks, is that normal or are the seals done? There were no leaks from any brake lines or calipers or clutch lines. Tires have lots of tread with no wheather checking. He is going to get his mechanic to get it running and I will go back to look again.
Will update after I see it again.
Duane

Old 08-18-2012, 11:00 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jiterbug
Is there anything that I should look at that is a known problem with these bikes?
As mentioned, the cam chain tensioner may or may not cause rattle after say 30k miles. Also, first generation had fuel pump that could fail but can be replaced with gravity feed. The R/R is a little weak in these bikes and can be replaced for around $100 USD.

These bikes have survived for many years because there is not a lot that goes wrong with them.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TimBucTwo
As mentioned, the cam chain tensioner may or may not cause rattle after say 30k miles. Also, first generation had fuel pump that could fail but can be replaced with gravity feed. The R/R is a little weak in these bikes and can be replaced for around $100 USD.

These bikes have survived for many years because there is not a lot that goes wrong with them.
Mine sat for 3 years and it rattled and clanked and sounded like a full on assembly line! After 1/2 quart of Marvels and some running time and I barley hear a peep. I wish I had recorded the noise before I fixed her now for comparison.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:13 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

After 1/2 quart of Marvels and some running time and I barley hear a peep

Excuse the question but we don't have Marvels here - what is it ?

Old 08-18-2012, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Shadow
After 1/2 quart of Marvels and some running time and I barley hear a peep

Excuse the question but we don't have Marvels here - what is it ?
I assumed he meant 'Marvel's Mystery Oil', something that's been around in the States practically forever. Not sure if it's legitimate science or hocus-pocus, but lots of folks swear by it.

Larry

Quick Reply: Inspecting CBR1000F