CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

I wanna do wheelies but...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 02:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I wanna do wheelies but...

the rear sprocket has 40 teeth and it's sluggish off the line even when I slip the clutch. If I put a 16 (-1) on the front and 44(+2) on the rear, will it be easy to wheelie or do I need to go +5 or something on the back?

Don't care for top speed or ecomomy but I don't want to go overboard either...

Old 08-22-2006, 07:21 AM
Default RE: I wanna do wheelies but...

With 16/44 there should be no problems to lift the front, I lifted mine slightly on first gear with 17/43. The Hurricane is however a front heavy bike and it can be very dangerous if something goes wrong. You should start doing whelies on an easier bike if you dont have previous experience, and the best is to leave the Hurricane from doing this. I know this is boring to read, but this is how I see it.

Old 08-22-2006, 08:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TRI !!!!!!!!!!!!! Quit it !!!!!!!!! You know us 1000f, are just a bunch of responible citizens, ride'n sport touring bikes, w/ no desire for all that ..."snazzy" ride'n !!!!!!!!!!!
Shure, i'tl mono... but it is big and HEAVY... get a dirty bike and hoik'm, to your hearts content !!!!!!! I don't think the 1000f fork seals, will last long either...
Tri, I have totaly enjoyed your contributions on this forum... I think, your always think'n... The sign, of a true "motorcycle enthusist!!!!!
Lots of fun!!!!!!!! Clean and free, Ripp'n

Old 08-22-2006, 09:01 PM

point taken...

I got the bike in the first place because it matches my leathers and second because I wanted a good reliable comfortable bike to eat the miles on looooong road trips...

consider this thread a moment of insanity

The thought developed from someone elses thread where they said they just bought a 1kf and it had -1/+7 and was a stunt bike... and they wanted to take it back to normal.

Thanks for returning me to earth!

Old 08-22-2006, 10:07 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Triangle

consider this thread a moment of insanity

Thanks for returning me to earth!
Some things are not ment to be. Your efforts should turn to comming out of turns real hot with that heave front end instead.

Wheelies age a bike quick. They put a lot of stress on the primary chain, drive chain bearings and trany. Like rippn says, you chance blowing out your fork seals when comming down (and it will come down fast).

Why don' you just give it a hug and say I am sorry. Wheelies are for the guys with light sport bikes. They wheelie with out a lead brick tied to the front end.

I just had to jump in here to scold you. LOL

Old 08-23-2006, 12:14 AM

the other thing is my cousin has a beautiful 1966 Mustang and he wants to challenge me at the next drag meet in Mackay... I pointed out my bike was set up for touring...

Can anyone who knows the '66 Mustangs tell me if I'd give him a run for his money?

Old 08-23-2006, 02:27 AM

The Mustang came out with the Shelby big block (GT500) and supercharged (GT350) in 67. I think the 66 could have had a 289. But you should have no trouble against a Mustang no matter what he has in there.

Old 08-23-2006, 03:28 AM

He he... race him for pink slips
You will kick his ****. 1000f 0-60 in about 4 seconds 1/4 mile <12 seconds.
That would have to be one serious 'stang to do a 12 second 1/4 mile.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:56 AM

ORIGINAL: Triangle

the other thing is my cousin has a beautiful 1966 Mustang and he wants to challenge me at the next drag meet in Mackay... I pointed out my bike was set up for touring...

Can anyone who knows the '66 Mustangs tell me if I'd give him a run for his money?
If the Mustang is about stock you will blow his door with ease. You might check if he has like 4.56 rear gearing and/or nitrous. In such case the vehicles could be more even and you need to practice good starts (controlled clutch slipping) in order not to loose the firts important seconds. I'll put my money on you and the thrusty CBR

Old 08-25-2006, 01:33 PM

I have found I can wheelie the CBR but I have to scoot my *** way back and abuse the clutch/throttle to do it.

If I just try to power wheelie w/o body english the rear end just breaks loose and smokes tyres....

Quick Reply: I wanna do wheelies but...