CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

How I got punted into oncoming traffic.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 06:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How I got punted into oncoming traffic.

Well it finally happened after getting my endorsement at age 17, I just had my 19th birthday, and my first accident.

I was on my way to work yesterday at 4pm, I was heading towards an intersection. This road was 45 MPH road with two lanes for each direction of travel with a center turn lane for both directions of traffic to use for a total of 5 lanes.

I was in the right lane when someone merged from a yield lane of the other road at the intersection right in front of me, I had to slow a little bit and changed lanes in to the left lane.

The truck that merged, then slowed down in the right lane and I knew what they were going to do. They preceded to turn left across my lane at a 70 degree angle for what I am guessing was an illegal u-turn.

I went wide into the center turn lane to avoid them but they were going much slower then me and were able to turn more then I was able to. I clipped the front bumper pretty hard and was able to keep it up but i was knocked in to a wobble with a mild tank slapper. If my 1990 CBR1000f wasn't such a heavy bike with a stable frame and suspension there is no way I would have been able to keep it on the wheels.

I got punted into the oncoming lanes, luckily it was a Sunday at 4pm so there was no other traffic. I pulled over onto a side walk as my leg got crushed between the frame and the couple ton truck and I was a little shaken. The person who hit me was nice enough not to pull over and fled immediately. I had no way of getting a tag number.

As for the damage to the bike, my muffler is completely crushed, the mid pipe was knocked off the header and dragging on the ground, my swing-arm is bent and dented to the point of being unsafe to use. I wiggled the passenger peg and it broke right off taking the exhaust mounting point with it. The cargo hook was deployed and there is nice fresh aluminum and a large flat spot on it now.

Also, gray paint from the truck that hit me is on the side of the rear fender and my turn signal, the frame is bent from the gas tank pivot back a couple inches and pushed down.

As for me, my right leg is not broken, but it hurts quite a bit. My ankle also hurts, I'm glad I always wear 8 inch combat boots. My hip is also a little sore. I will be getting an x-ray to check for a fracture later today, and maybe I can score some pain pills if I'm lucky (hehe).

I will try to attach some pictures if I can figure out how to do so.

CBR Wreck Photos by Jl4zio | Photobucket

Old 07-01-2013, 08:49 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

**** that sucks!

From the pictures it looks like the rear frame might be twisted as well as all the damage you mentioned.

But you were lucky not to be more seriously hurt, hope the x-ray doesn't show anything nasty and you manage to score some good pain killers.

Take it easy and let us know if you need help with parts/advice.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:51 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You are lucky not to be hurt more. I have seen a lot of times where the rider looses a leg with that kind of hit.

It suck that you were left for dead. I hope it haunts that guy for lift.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:37 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good to see you're alive - any other bike and you may not have been...............
I'd keep an eye out for trucks and you may be lucky - could be a local..............
Bastard deserves to be shoved under his own truck and ridden over. Sorry but any one who drives away after an accident should be jailed.
We'll help you fix your lady, never fear.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:08 PM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sucks to hear man. Hope this guy finds his karma. After a few near misses, I never leave home without this:

Best insurance you can get imo.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If there's paint on you, there might be your paint on him. Dunno where you are but leaving the scene of an accident is a felony here. Call the cops and file a report. Depending on how seriously they take it, they might keep an eye out for a vehicle matching the description with your paint on it.

GLad to hear you're ok

Old 07-01-2013, 10:53 PM

Went to get the leg checked out, no fracture, just some contusions and a crush injury.

Had my master mechanic friend take a look at the frame, he said it would be no problem with some ratcheting straps and a large bar to straighten everything out.

I was planning on using my Go Pro for the trip but I didn't have time to set it up before work so I didn't bring it. Kicking myself over that one. Would have been a sweet video.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:05 AM
Welcome Crew

sorry to here you got punted, your lucky and im glad you didnt suffer any serious injury, i would deffinatley report it, you never know they might catch the culprit and let you have 10 minutes with them with a big stick

Old 07-02-2013, 10:23 PM

Good to hear you're OK. I'd def report it, just in case they can catch him if it's a local driver.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:21 AM

Thanks for the support! I got the old girl back on the road, I needed a new rear caliper bracket the old one was bent and rubbing on the disc. The swingarm turned out to be fine, it has a dent in it but, I'm keeping it as a battle scar.

The tire is aligned perfectly so the swingarm isn't bent. The sub frame was straightened easily just required some ratcheting straps, a pole barn and a slate bar.

The front right part of the passenger grab bar that holds the hook on the seat broke, but I got it bolted down now so that it holds the seat.

As for the broken exhaust, I used a louvered 12" glasspack for a car as the "muffler", its surprisingly quiet until you get on it and the mid-pipe required some pipe expanders from harbor freight. Also, it was only $24 shipped vs. $300+ for a new Vance & Hines exhaust.