CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Help required please

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 08:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help required please

When i pull the clutch on the bike and engage first gear, the bike lurches forward and cuts out/stalls, wont go into gear and stay running. The bike in question is a 1990/91 cbr1000f.
Any help ideas would be appreciated as i do need to get the old girl back on the road.
Cheers. Chris.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:44 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check the side stand safety switch might be what is stopping it .....

make sure it's all the way up LOL

Old 07-18-2010, 10:17 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My guess would be that there's air in the clutch system which is compressing when you pull the lever and not actually separating the clutch.
However, I've also seen clutches where the plates seem to want to stick together after sitting a while. Sometimes takes a couple times to loosen them up.
Although you could be leaving your stand down... lol.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:43 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try holding the clutch in for about 8-10 secs before engaging a gear. Mine jumps a bit when cold or when I start it in gear, and "clunks" into gear.
You either have air in the system, or the plates are binding, almost like when a bike has stood for a long time.
You could also try running the bike down a slope when starting it, to reduce clutch drag. It should sort out the problem.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:02 AM

Cheers guys will give it a another check time permitting, already checked side stand, its falls back a little when up due to the spring being a bit strained over the years (always has done while i have had the bike), Clutch plates sticking has already been quoted on the zx9 forum, so will look at this as well.
Chris.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:35 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I also tend to think that some air is in the system. Try pumping the clutch lever before putting it in gear. I would do this on the center stand as it may go into gear but give you trouble when you want to go back to neutral. If the plates are sticking, most times they loosen when the bike is fully warmed up and you do some spirited shifting.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:37 PM

Hello chaps, just had the cbr on its center stand warming up, as suggested held the clutch in for a while before going to first gear, went straight in and carried on running when clutch released, but very clunky going in to first and second, is this the case with the cbr.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:16 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, the trans is pretty clunky on most hondas...lol.
At least with the bike on the center stand, you've ruled out the side stand switch. However, the wheel spinning in first with the clutch in (on the center stand) doesn't necessarily mean too much by itself. Even if the clutch is working perfectly normal, the wheel will generally spin just a little from the oil between the plates and them sticking a bit. But it won't spin as much as it would with the clutch out, tho. If the wheel is taking off hard as soon as you put it in gear (with the clutch in) it's either sticking plates or air in the clutch's hydraulic lines.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:57 PM

No there's no wheel spin with the clutch in, just the usual clunky gearbox,, hopefully its sorted now, wont know though untill i can get the bike on the road sometime later this week.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

G'day Chris. If I don't ride mine for a while it does the same. I just start in first gear with the clutch pulled in as far as it goes because the switch seems to only work with the lever right against the 'bar. When do this the bike lurches forward very slightly, then starts no problem. Always clunks going into first.

I'd invest in a new spring for the side stand too mate. If it's dropping down at all your spring must be pretty shagged...it'd be nasty if it came off...

Quick Reply: Help required please