CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F
View Poll Results: What do you think
Head Gasket
50.00%
Intake Gasket
0%
Other (Please submit your own answer in response below)
50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Help overheating

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 06:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Help overheating

So I started a thread about 1 month ago and I cant find it to add to it. If everyone recalls I am having problems with all of my water coming out of the overflow and it has gotten worse. Everyone insists that it is not a head gasket that I have a clog or a leak somewhere else... I not 1 hr ago took apart everything and ran a hose through the motor to find the water flowing freely in both directions. I then took the radiator off and hooked the hose to is to see if I could detect any leeks or anything that would be causing me to lose water and nothing. I plugged one end of the radiator using hose and clamp and attached the hose to the radiator with another hose and clamp. NO LEAKS. What do you guys think. I have already replaced the radiator cap and thermostat and even tested the old and new cap today at the parts store. Both are good. I am now going to reassemble everything and try running the bike with no thermostat. I will be back on as soon as it overheats again to let you know that it did.....

Old 06-21-2010, 06:48 PM

Im not a 1000f expert by any means. But it building pressure, the thermostat isnt clogged, nor is the radiator, usually it is the head gasket, either blown or leaking. Run a compression test, look around the gasket after it gets hot and is running, see if you can physically see something bubbling/running out. Hope this helps.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:17 PM

Ran up the road about 8 miles and lost about 30oz of water. I am pretty damn sure that the head gasket is blown... Now does anyone know where I can get a cheap gasket set. I would love to do a how to on this.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:43 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ebay

No water in oil I hope !

Old 06-22-2010, 01:20 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try www.mrcycles.com
Is there steam/water coming out of the exhaust ?
Is the overflow at the radiator cap connected to your water bottle ? - maybe the hose is perished (mine was)
Also check the water bottle to see there are no cracks in it..............and don't overfill it....
You need to run the bike on it's main stand and see where it's coming from - a test with the engine stopped won't tell you anything except that the system doesn't have any specific leaks.

Last edited by Shadow; 06-22-2010 at 01:23 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:55 AM

Question?

How far is your hose going in the overflow/reserver tank? I had the same probleme and i had changed tgermostat and check everywhere, i explained in anothert post what was happening, since the hose was scraping the bottom of the tank , it was behaving as if the tank was too full and spewing out the cooling liquid, What i did is got the hose halfway up and it is cured, at first i was looking at the same thing as you do, remember those bikes are not complicated and most of the time a simple cure is what is effective. if you had a blown head gasket white smoke would be comming out of the exhaust, so if it not that is not the case. Neverthelkess change your thermosthat to make sure it works properly,and check where your overflow hos is position in the reserver coolant tank.

What do you think Shadow?

Old 06-22-2010, 11:11 AM

I don't think he should have ANY hose in the tank at all - I overfilled mine once and it spat green goo all over the place even without any hose in the tank.
My 2c worth.............

Old 06-24-2010, 10:40 AM

Well this has gave me a lot to consider but I have tried everything I can think of. I pulled the thermostat and Noticed I can drive a lot further if I drive the bike really easy, but if I get on it it blows out. The overflow hose is just under the radiator cap which is right behind the thermostat housing. I am getting no white smoke at all, but when I pop the radiator cap if its low on coolant there is smoke that lingers inside (not steam). I ordered all the parts from a local dealer and payed an arm and a leg. I am going after work today to do the rebuild. I am going to have the head resurfaced and do it right. I am going to try and take pics step by step but i dont know that my camera is working right. I have also checked the hose in the overflow and the way its designed i have a hose that connects to the tank on the motor side than i have another that comes out of the rubber cap. it builds so much pressure it will blow the cap off and shoot boiling water all over my right leg.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:16 AM

weird stuff

Looks like the thermostat is off, one question , does the fan starts?

Old 06-24-2010, 11:35 AM

than i have another that comes out of the rubber cap. it builds so much pressure it will blow the cap off and shoot boiling water all over my right leg.

I'd remove the one into the rubber cap completely. That's a start.

Quick Reply: Help overheating