CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Help with an electrical issue?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 10:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with an electrical issue?????

Hello mguys and gals...I'm back again with a little miss hap....got to work today and when I was gnna put her inside the shop batterywas weak and died on me...walked her into the shop, jumped started her with a charger we have and once she was running fine I disconnected the + terminal to see if the alternator was charging...She shut right off once I did that...but I started her again, b/c she's never had any issues, and gave her some gas(slightly) while I removed said terminal once more and she stayed on...for about a 1/2min then my low beam went out, and smoke started coming from where the cdi is located, then she shut off once more...I thought I burned the cdi or something else so I jumped her once more to check and she came right back to life with no issues except that she isn't charging my battery I guess, but she stays on with no problems...Regulator went bad?I have another alternator from the spare engine sos that shouldn't be a problem replacing...Another issue is that when I first took her for a spin once I finished the engine, she started like coming out of gear in second, like if the chain was "loose" and bitting on the sproket so I tightened the chain up some and now does it in third gear...The bike never had these issues before and was never beat by previous owner...I ordered new chai and sproket kit with a 9k# chain to hopefully resolve the issue...any thoughts?...another thing is my furl cutoff relay...the plug connector is broken up...how do I know which wire goes where? Anything for reference? "Black wire goes here, yellowblue over here?etc, etc?maybe a picture of one connected to the harness so I could figure it out?What about putting my keihin fcr39's from a zx7 I have? would it be possible swap them out of the brackets to fit them on the ones for my engine?both are keihin so would there be too much hassle?The fork seals I got are from all ***** racing(wiper and seals)also got a set of steering steem bearings...a used rear master cylinder, some mirrors with integrated signals, and a couple of misc stuff...oh yeah, the new shinko tire(160/60)'cause the 140 or 150 wasn't available...sometimes when pavement is bumpy I feel yhe bike like"hop" from the front end too...any thoughts? she rider nie and smooth but I know both seals are leaking so that might be it...I know you guys and gals know your "canes" so I ask for your help and knowledge!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-20-2013, 10:34 AM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Thats quite a list of things there mate. I would be cautious with both fork seals gone as fluid can easily work its way to the pads/discs and the next thing you know is your breaking distance is way off what it should be.
As for the starting issue I would check to see if my battery is actually charging whilst the bike is running. Stick a voltage meter across it and you need a reading above 12v.....maybe 13.5v or so. Work off these readings to decide which route to go next to solve your starting issues and if your not sure just post back.
The chain and sprocket bit is a confusing read for me but I dont see the common factor between them and your gearbox problem....I may well be off the mark with this but others are sure to post here aswell. Best of luck mate

Old 01-20-2013, 11:37 AM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Turbo,
before we can all get stuck into this I'm going to have a little rant. It's not just about you (though you have been the catalyst).
Spelling, readability, punctuation!!!!!
It's just really bloody annoying, and pretty sad, that when people post up, especially when starting a thread, that you don't read what you've written before you press send. I'm certain that you just wrote this quickly and then hit submit without checking and editing what you needed to say.
It's common failure of members on this and many other forums. Completely unnecessary, unhelpful, just plain lazy.

What is a furl cut off relay?

How can you expect a sensible answer and get meaningful help from other peeps if your writing is so badly constructed that it's unreadable?

If, like me you are dyslexic then it's understandable that you might not get everything perfect. I should know.
But re-reading and bothering to use spell check will at least make a piece of writing 90% right and relay the pertinent points you need to get across.

Rant over, please take heed.

Now,
take a deep breath.......
what bike have you got? 1000? 750? 600? Where in the world are you?
Fill in the basics, focus on the problem you need to solve and you'll get all the help you need.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

+100 Henry

I look at posts such as this and despair - and I will also say that am very tempted NOT to read and reply. They are too hard to decipher and work through the problem at hand.

No disrespect intended Turbo, and I would really like to assist but I can't work out what needs to be done first.

It seems three main issues;

1. Electrical problem with a CDi smoking (?),

2. Chain jumping/snatching in 2nd or 3rd and

3. Fuel cut off relay problem?

Is this correct?

Cheers, SB

Last edited by Sebastionbear1; 01-20-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:55 PM
July 2014 ROTM

Originally Posted by Sebastionbear
+100 Henry

I look at posts such as this and despair - and I will also say that am very tempted NOT to read and reply. They are too hard to decipher and work through the problem at hand.

No disrespect intended Turbo, and I would really like to assist but I can't work out what needs to be done first.

Cheers, SB
+100 again - In fact I did try to read it and gave up as I do with all posts of this ilk.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:54 PM

Hello guys. I want to appologise for the spelling. I'm having some issues with my pc at home and at work also. I've tried putting my information on here but it won't let me do so. I'm from Puertyo Rico(Caribbean) and I work security 6 nights a week from 7pm 'til 8am. The bike is an 87 1k and I was able to resolve some of my issues. The "starting" one was b/c my battery was down some. I checked for proper charging and it is doing so. The forks, I ordered new seals and wiper kit and it should be arriving in the next few days. The chain and sproket issue I have to check it still b/c she was doing the "catching/slipping" in 2nd gear but after tightening the chain some it started doing it in 3rd gear only. New chain and sproket kit will also be arriving within the week. Once I put these new parts I can check if it's that or will have to take the motor out to check both 2nd and 3rd gears in the tranny. The issue with the fuel cut off relay was resolved, I eliminated the fuel pump(recomended by sprock) and have had no more issues with that anymore. I did have the question on the location of the wiring since my plug from the harness side was broken and didn't know where to place the wires but I think I figured it out since it's running so far w/o issues, but if anyone can tell me the location of those wires I would be greatful to corroborate my work. Meaning: "blk wire" to the bottom terminal, "brn/rd" to the top right, etc... That would be nice since I can't open up images that are labeled as "pdf/img" and don't know why. Anyway, other than that she is running pretty smooth and nice. I used to have an 1100 gixxer that I got rid of b/c she was soooo uncomfortable, and have a 90 zx7 that's tricked out and will be trading for a 600cc for my wife so she can ride after our first born is born in May. I was also looking at the black bird front facia swap that was posted by kaasari but can't find it anymore. Well, I guess I have to keep searching. I'm usually online every night so I can keep reading and learning about the bike b/c I love this cbr huricane. Thanks for the replies and any thoughts with my "pending issues" will be greatly appreciated! Once againg I appologise for the spelling guys...

Last edited by Sprock; 01-21-2013 at 04:11 PM. Reason: added yo location
Old 03-02-2013, 05:56 PM

Hello there guys. It's been a while since I've been logged in the site. Had to buy a house and move so you can imagine how that works, specially when the wife is pregnant and can't do much. Well, I got some of my electrical issues worked out but still have some hicups to deal with. My regulator was not working properly and sometimes it would charge, other times over charge, and sometimes not work at all. I replaced the regulator and when accelerating she would put out around 13.6-8v. That was last sunday night I replaced the regulator and this morning she had no cranking power. Put the charger on it to boost it and fired right up. Checked to see if she was charging and it's giving me the same 13.6-8v when accelerating and 12.6-9v when in idle. Went home and she sat for almost 5hrs and when I started her up she fired right up with no issues. Went for a mile ride to my old house, turned her off for a couple of minutes and when I went to crank her up she was dead. Now my thoughts are that maybe the bad regulator messed up the battery? It's one from advance auto parts, acid type- 14bs battery. Replace it? or maybe the alternator/generator is not putting out enough capacity? How could I check? Any thoughts and advice will be appreciated guys...Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!