CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Help with CCT - anyone recommend an expert in SW London?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 03:44 PM
hmm
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with CCT - anyone recommend an expert in SW London?

Hi all,

My 1990 F-L has for some time sounded like nuts and bolts being shaken in a tin can (that is when she's cold - seems better when warm, and even slightly better since I added some Seafoam to fuel and oil).

She's covered 41,000 miles and I'm ashamed to say that although I change the oil every 4,000 miles or so, I've not had her serviced for many thousands of miles. Until recently she was used for 125-mile commutes including spells of 135mph on some B-Roads. Now used for commuting 15 miles into London.

I guess the time has come to replace the cam chain and tensioner.

****Can anyone recommend a good mechanic familiar with this job?****

I don't have the confidence to do this job myself and I don't want to pay dealer labour charges.

Many thanks.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:49 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No matter who does the job - if you fit a Honda camchain, you'll have to remove the engine from the frame and split the casings
HOWEVER if you fit a camchain with a masterlink (which most of us do) the job can be done in about 4 hours, engine in place.
DID make a good chain with a masterlink, which you can buy from Wemoto or other reputable parts suppliers in the UK.
Classic's spot on with his comments - do as much of the stripping yourself to save costs.
Maybe Hawkwind can put you on to someone in SW London.
Good luck !

Old 02-02-2011, 03:43 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........

Sorry mate, I've only ever done my own work on the bike and like Classic, I haven't tackled this job as yet.

Don't like to 'pass the buck', but HenryM is a very knowledgeable chap and may know someone in the trade near you. I'm in Brighton, so a bit out of your area.

If you have the time and somewhere to work on the bike I'd give it a go yourself, it'll save you a fortune.

Apart from that,(apologies if I'm committing a no-no here), but you could try posting up on the BCF (Bike Chat Forum), there are plenty of guys on there in the London area you could ask.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:01 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hawkwind
Apart from that,(apologies if I'm committing a no-no here), but you could try posting up on the BCF (Bike Chat Forum), there are plenty of guys on there in the London area you could ask.

Pikes, pitchforks & flaming torches .....get him lads ... off with his head

Ya know .......DeanO may have an idea of a shop that can do the work !

Old 02-04-2011, 03:50 PM
hmm

Thanks for the advice folks.

I've looked at the excellent how-to guide several times but never had the cojones to go and do it. I might possibly be able to, but need to ask a couple of questions first.

1. Cam chain breaker - is there a special one just for cam chains and do I need a specific one for this particular cam chain? Never used one, or a drive chain one either, though in my days running a bicycle shop I must have split thousands of chains. Same principle? Push pin out until it's just held in one of the chain plates? And how do you make sure you don't end up with a stiff link when you push the pin back in?

2. Timing crank and crankshaft - are these easy to find (embarrassing question)? Are they easy to turn or do you need a special tool?

Thanks, and apologies for ignorance.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:30 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm,

Aren't you the guy that used to commute to Cheltenham for a while?

Even if you're not, how about this?

My can chain tensioner is pretty much done (after 21K miles). I've got some work to do on the bike when the time permits and the weather gets a bit warmer. I'm not in a rush.

How about you come down to Faversham and we work on the bikes together. I can show you 'how to' first hand and you can get to know your bike a bit more intimately. I'll be swearing at mine so you may as well join in the fest and give your bitch some too.
As long as you're prepared to get your hands dirty, drink plenty of beer (mechanic fuel) I don't mind helping you save a **** load of money and having a gas at the same time.
Tools and washing facilities provided. Bed to order. Pub in the evening compulsory.
The only thing I don't have is a chain splitter but.... It's about time a bought one. I had the cases split when I last changed mine.
If you need a parts list I've got em on tap, hot or cold. Eat in or take away.

But then if you'd rather save time and not get dirty, phone a bike shop and haggle. I'd say you shouldn't pay more than £500 for the work.

The offer's open. PM if you feel up for it.

A Saturday will suffice if you've got all the parts.
A Sunday to recover from the hangover and breakfast at the best spoon in town thrown in.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Offers don't come any better than that! Fix the ped, beer, bed & a full brekky! Get in!!!!

Old 02-04-2011, 10:52 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great stuff our 'Enry
What a man !

It surely doesn't get any better than that, unless you have a lovely sister too, Henry, who likes Hurricanes and their riders................

Great example to other manufacturers and forums of member co-operation and support.
Long may it continue

Quick Reply: Help with CCT - anyone recommend an expert in SW London?