CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 04:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Help

I stripped the drain plug my last oil change cross threaded the plug now im trying to find a heli coil that fits any suggestions ????????

Old 04-12-2011, 12:57 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You may have to remove the sump and take it in to an engineering works to resolve. Trying to resolve it on the bike probably won't work.

Moral of the story,
"fit the drain plug by hand for the first 5/6 turns to ensure it isn't cross-threaded."
I know it's easy to be perfect in hindsight, but we've all been where you are at some time.
Good luck

Old 04-12-2011, 06:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

This is a common issue with most bikes as it happens from time to time (From memory most of my old trail bikes did it at some time in their lives) It can be fixed by any decent bike shop (or mechanical shop) without the need to dismantle the bike with the exception of the removal of the belly pan and side fairings.

A mate's bike done it recently (hyosung 650GT) took it to the bike shop, 1 hour labour and wha-la one new plug fitted complete with steel insert. His was that stuffed it required the steel insert thingy. Total cost $120NZL and back out riding the same day.

Don't sweat it, just call round your various bike/mechanical shops, you should be able to get it done fairly easily.

and I have to agree with shadow's comment, turn in by hand first etc
Cheers A Dub-ya