CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Is a Hagon shock REALLY worth the price?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 08:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a Hagon shock REALLY worth the price?

I go through this every year. My stock shock is useable but the preload is near the max. and the damping setting is about 1/4 - 1/2 turns out. My riding is a mix of fast back roads, bumpy, and high speed interstate. I am much heavier than Mr. Honda thought the rider of the CBR1000F should be.
So the question is, do I get a new shock or save my money?
Option 1- Olins, separate comp. and rebound adj. remote preload adj. $909
Option 2- Penske, same as Olins except no remote preload adj. $855
Option 3- Hagon, Same as stock features but set up for ME. $647
The only reason I would even includ Hagon is because back in the '70's, Gerling, Hagon's originator(?) had the best shocks on the market based on measured damping peformance. Gerlings were light on compression and strong on rebound damping. Many competitors had equal amounts of compression and rebound damping, not good. From dirt bike experience I know that too much compression damping will cause the back wheel to kick to the side on a large bump.
I am assuming that Hagon has continued the same damping philosophy as Gerling.
So, does any one have any comments or recommendations?

Last edited by Bassman; 06-24-2010 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:16 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good question because you and I are in the same Bass Boat ! Similarly I'm not what
Mr Honda had in mind for your average 150-180 pound rider !... add another 100

The Hagon is obviously the least money ...... but I'm exploring all options including
having a used one rebuilt with aftermarket progressive springs etc or a latter day
shock modified to suit the link on the CBR

Old 06-24-2010, 11:00 AM

keep me in the loop for what you guys end up doing...i need to replace my suspension as well..

Old 06-24-2010, 04:57 PM

I've done a ****load of looking into shocks for both this bike and my current steed.

Hagon are only about as good as OEM. Valve design is still fairly basic.

But it really depends on how heavy you are and how hard you ride and how good your suspension knowledge.

If you have the coin and the knowledge go for a shock like Technoflex or Penske that has adjustable high & low speed compression. This will enable you the adjust for varying loads. As well as adjust for smallest bump to largest bump. But if you dont know suspension you can make the ride worse. Also the 8970 Penske does have Remote Preload.

Another one to consider is Fournales. I have them on my CB1300 and they are excellent. The beauty of these is that they dont have a sping. They are an air shock. Air means its a true rising rate and cannot bottom out. Also there is no need for re-bound adjustment as When an air shock rebounds it doesn't have the inertia that a spting has. Also being an air shock you can adjust it for you weight by simply using a pump. Now they dont have a listing for CBR100F, but they didn't for mine either, but they will custom make one. The other beauty of air shocks is zero preload. When you are sitting on a sprung shock it takes some force before the spring moves. So even with the best shock you feel small square edge bumps. Air shocks dont have this problem.

If you plan to keep the bike for any great length of time then go for a top of the line shock. They are fully rebuildable. (You notice a great improvement in forks/shocks when you change the fluid regually). Also as you've seen on Ebay they also have good re-sale valve for when you sell the bike.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:24 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Real interesting info there Trips .......... an air suspension ..... that would be different

Old 06-24-2010, 11:57 PM

Works Performance makes an Ultra Sport shock for the CBR with adjustable damping for $689. I have their dual shocks on my 79 GS1000 and they transformed the bike.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:57 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

slowpoke, I love the horn...very cool. My comment is, don't cheap out on shocks. Motorcycles are a motor and two wheels. The shock is the link between them.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:16 AM

I'm starting to real notice the harshness at both ends. The ride is not as plush as when I was 60 lbs. lighter in '94. I keep thinking back to when I had a '73 CB500F. I had some Koni's on the back. The ride was ok the handling good. The spring prload was near max. Just for fun I put on a set of stiffer springs that I had laying around and the ride actually became plush without hurting the handling.
I think I need at a minimum is stiffer springs. I'm determined to take care of the front this weekend. I'll let you know the results on Tue. It's supposed to rain Mon.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:56 AM

With my 1991 1000F I fitted hagon shock on the rear and a pair of hagon springs up front.

I spoke to hagon and had the springs specified for my weight.

The bike was transformed - chicken strips vanished - and smooth ride too.

When it came to my blackbird - I first went for springs to suit my weight - this made a big difference.

Then I went for racetech front valves up front - another step forward.

Finally I bought a K-Tech rear shock valved and sprung for my weight.

Now I love the bike - Handles well, plush ride and sharp turn in.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:23 PM

Thanks for the input Deano. On the 1000F, do you remember what wt. fork oil you used?
I've put in RaceTech valves on a few race bikes. Don't know if I could justify the work for my 1000f.

Last edited by Bassman; 06-25-2010 at 01:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Is a Hagon shock REALLY worth the price?