CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Fuel pump relay wiring

Old 09-22-2012, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fuel pump relay wiring

Hello I have a 88 hurricane 1000 that's been in storage for quite a few yrs.
Kids Building house etc. I had bought it as a repairable with mostly fairing damage ,
I had pickled the engine and it is in very good condition.
I have since repaired all the body work and repainted it .
I am now trying to get it started and installed a fresh battery and preoiled the engine checked spark plugs for gap and spark .
I was trying to prime the fuel system and was getting mostly the pickling oil but no fuel.
I then checked out the petcock for flow and that checked good . I then went to check the fuel pump . It seems to pump once in a while . I opened the drain plugs on the carbs and finally got some fuel to come out, I checked the wiring and found that the fuel pump relay was bad. I tried the fuel pump by itself with a 12v source and it pumps good.
I checked and the fp relay was 29 bucks, I had several Bosch standard relays and swapped in a standard auto relay. This relay has four terminals just like the stock one, which are 85 coil- 86 coil + 30 power in and 87 power out. Installed the fuel pump power wire to 87 the 12v power coming in to 30 . I have checked the wires from both the blue yellow and the yellow blue which should be the coil wires and they both have 12 v . I need a ground for the coil !!!
The wiring diagram does not show this detail. I have followed the wiring diagram and I am not seeing one which should work , i am wondering if the pump seems to work while cranking and then once the engine is running it gets a ground from somewhere and runs continuous while the bike is running I don't know for sure as it is not running yet . Some back fires and pops but no fire yet. Good cranking and oil pressure . any thoughts?

Old 09-22-2012, 08:23 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Discard the fuel pump altogether and gravity feed the carbs.

Welcome by the way.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

G'Day Randy and welcome to the forum,

Listen to Sprock as the man knows

If however, you do decide to keep the fuel pump/relay set up I'll be watching with great interest as I have just got an '87 which has sat for many years and will be trying to fire it up in the next week or so.

Good luck - and post some pictures of your bike when the mods allow you to post pictures. We just love pictures.

Cheers, SB

Old 09-22-2012, 10:51 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

& Randy - if you are hell bent on keeping the pump setup

pm me your address and I'll send ya the good relay I have for nothing but the
cost of postage !

Old 09-23-2012, 01:12 AM
Banned

Gravity feed carbs and clean them!!! make sure those jets are clean (actually I would replace them| it'll be the best $40 bucks you ever spent ).

Old 09-23-2012, 01:27 AM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting

Hey:

As mentioned Gravity feed the fuel. The pumps were eliminated on later models and uneeded. They will go out and leave you stranded when you least need it... Fuel pumps are only needed on fuel injection bikes.... Parts left out don't need maintenance or replacement parts, save your money.........

Dub

Last edited by CBR1988; 09-23-2012 at 01:32 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:25 PM
Default Thanks

Thanks for all the reply's I think I have been convinced to gravity feed the carbs ,
Is there a sticky procedure for this ?
What do I do with the wiring ?
Just run new lines?
Do I need to connect anything electrically ?
I tried a search for gravity feed carburetor and a bunch of stuff came up but not much about doing this mod
I will do that mod and pull the carbs and check /clean them.
I read about the stick coils mod and it sounds like a great improvement. So much that I found some 08 coils and harness for 49 bucks on ebay coming this week!

Old 09-23-2012, 03:40 PM

Thanks for all the reply's,,, I will gravity feed the carbs , Is there a sticky or procedure for this? Tried search gravity feed carburetor .. bunch of reply's but no specific directions on how to do this.
I will also pull the carbs and clean/ check them
I had drained the fuel from the carbs and gas tank before storage
I am going to do the stick coil mod as well. Found some 08 coils 39 and a loom for 19 coming next week

Old 09-24-2012, 08:36 AM
Banned
Old 09-24-2012, 09:05 AM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting

Hey:

Yes they are not needed just unplug the electrics, remove pump and replace with fuel injection hose (better than regular fuel line), tubing or both. They are a source of many of the 87-88 bikes carb and fuel delivery issues, and after 20 yrs, more so.

Dub

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel pump relay wiring