CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

front end wobble when no hands....

Old 04-09-2011, 07:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front end wobble when no hands....

I had to adjust my helmet was doin about 30mph, and cautiously took my hands off the bars.. it was fine then started to wobble my bars it scared me I've had tank slap on a dirtbike and it wasn't fun lol does fork seals make it do that or front tire? I'm putting new tires on in a couple weeks michilen pilot road ct2...
Thanks fellas

Old 04-09-2011, 08:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can be tire wear, any cupping? A couple other thoughts- Fork oil low/missmatched levels. Wheel alignment can give you an odd shake. Can be as simple as low tire pressure too. Is this something new, or just a new discovery? Any changes to bike in recent history?

Old 04-09-2011, 09:16 PM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The same thing happened to my ol rz500 after beng rebuilt from a head on with a tree, i must have bent something bad, I ended upfittinga steering damper to fix, hopefully yours is a bad tyre.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:44 PM

When I have this problem on my 94, it's my bike way of saying that the steering head bearing need to be looked at (last time they needed to be re-tightened)

Old 04-10-2011, 02:20 AM

I had the same issue last year. bike felt smooth while riding but if you removed your hands from about 55 mph on down you would get a slight shake or wobble. i got new tire because they were needed anyway and had the balance rechecked at a different shop cause i thought the original shop may not have secured the weights or something like that. I aligned the rear wheel using the rear sprocket , the chain and a 18 inch straight edge. that helped but only very slightly. I replaced the wheel bearings on advise of a motorcycle mechanic here and it helped a little more. Finally replaced the head stem bearings and voila no more wobble. I would check the head stem bearings first. The other symptom was under hard breaking i would feel a click once the bike stopped. Turns out that clock was the head stem bearings.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:35 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would suspect either tire out of balance or as said, steering stem bearings. If the bike is older, and a lot of wheelies, they wear out. Not sure your model, but a lot of bikes use ball-bearings in the stem. When/if you replace them, go to roller-bearings. It will be the only time you do the job then. If the wear is excessive, you can check them out by lifting the front of the bike, grab the tubes and pull straight forward and back. If you see ANY movement around the triple tree/ stem they need to be replaced.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:44 AM

I second the roller bearing suggestion. I used https://www.allballsracing.com/22-1020.html

Old 04-10-2011, 03:59 PM

Two different bikes I have owned did that when the front tire was about worn out. Replaced the tire and problem solved.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:58 PM

i had a bad left rotor and it would cause a shake and it ate my head bearings also fixed all that and its good to go.

Old 04-10-2011, 05:13 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

two issues when I had the problem were

Leaky fork seals meant uneven oil levels
& cupped front tire made it worse

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: front end wobble when no hands....