CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Fork Seal DIY

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 08:23 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fork Seal DIY

Guys,
I got home yesterday from a ride on the Blackbird and I have a right fork seal leak. I'm going to do both and have pulled the forks out of the bike already. I was going to take them to the shop to be done but there is something inside my head saying DIY....lol. I have ordered Pyramid seals and dust covers and should get them in a few days. I've been checking out Youtube for how to vids and have found some good vids on it. I've never done them before but would like to have a crack at it. I noticed in one vid the guy was using a damping rod bleed tool to rid the air from the system after he put the new oil in. Is there any other way of doing that ? I'm weighing up buying the proper tools to do it properly given how often you have to replace them. This is the first set I've needed to do on my BB since I got it 9 years ago ( 45,000 km ), against just getting the shop to do it. Thanks.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:36 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice and slow Bordo - it's pretty straight forward for most all forks - decent seal driver
(can be made from PVC) and an oil depth syringe too is really all you need I would not
get too worked up about air bubbles. Polish up the fork tubes with a nice soft non
abrasive cloth and imo - change out the teflon inner bushings - they are cheap and it's
a good idea.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:31 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Easy as pie on the 1000F, would think the BB would be the same. Don't bother going and buying expensive tools, just make sure the chrome has absolutely no corrosion, otherwise you'll be doing them again in a week.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:26 AM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Hey Bordo, you and me both mate.
My R/H fork started spouting oil like some kind of cruddy water feature a couple of weeks ago.
I managed to replace both side in an evening and got the old girl back on the road for a good ride out yesterday. An amazing improvement with fresh oil. The old stuff was absolutely minging. My tip to you above all else...... don't get old fork oil on your skin. It really is the most disgusting substance known to man kind.

My method of seal replacement was unconventional so I'm not going to give details other than to say I didn't remove the forks.
Good luck, keep those hands clean.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:35 AM
Banned

I already have one qoute of $250 and that's with the forks taken out of the bike. To expensive for me. I will be having a crack myself. I haver a great how to vid on YT to go off. The laptop will be close at hand and all done steady as she goes. I've had a pretty good look at the chrome stanchions and they appear to have no nicks, corrosion etc. Id say the seals are just old and had enough. some nice new fork oil etc should smarten her up a bit. Thanks guys.

Last edited by Bordo; 05-08-2013 at 02:28 AM.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:58 PM

My method of seal replacement was unconventional

No way - Never !

Persuader and a screw driver perhaps ?

Old 05-08-2013, 02:32 AM
Banned

So Henry......
Am I correct in assuming that you slid the fork legs off the stanchions with the stanchions still in the triple yokes ???? I suppose it could be done by undoing the bottom fork damper bolt and taking the top cap off and undoing the top part of the assembly from there. Was it very messy ? A how to should be forthcoming !!!! Cheers.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:48 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Bordo,
I haven't got time for a how to.

Your assumption is correct. You don't need to undo the top cap for anything other than filling the new fluid.
I heartily recommend purchasing a decent seal driver. The voice is pretty good if you search ebay sellers. If you've been quoted $250 for the seals to be replaced in a shop, 80 of your finest dollars for the tool will buy you repeatable value for money.
The terminal screw driver and toffee hammer I used were tedious.
Still.... it can be done.
Take note of Sprock's sarcasm earlier. Proof that he's almost certainly done it with much less appropriate tools than I.
Also worth noting his point about changing the bushes if you've got a few miles on the forks. You have to remove them using this method anyway. They come off with finger pressure only so don't worry about it being some kind of scary job.

Luck at you!

Last edited by HenryM; 05-14-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:47 PM

Take note of Sprock's sarcasm earlier

Bloody Hell just trying to be helpful - but I was close wuzzint I

Only reason I went the long way round on mine and dropped the tubes out
was to polish them up , smooth them out and correct any pitting.

Kinda tuff to do in situ ! unless you are myopically gifted with sport
a rubber neck.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:34 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What weight of oil have yal went with if it wasn't 10 weight???

Quick Reply: Fork Seal DIY