CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 04:58 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Engine rebuild

I am looking at getting my 93 models engine rebuilt, I have been given estimates of $1500-$2000 for a full rebuild from my local Honda dealer and a local bike shop that repairs all kinds of bikes. Does this sound right? Can anyone recommend a decent place to take it to in Tassie or should I ship it to Vicbloodytoria to get an expert.
I did look at trading on something newish but as the salesman said, you just can't get a bike like these anymore, everything is either track orientated or is a 2 wheel limo.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jarvid
I did look at trading on something newish but as the salesman said, you just can't get a bike like these anymore, everything is either track orientated or is a 2 wheel limo.
The salesman is spot on! If that's how the workshop guys are too you're laughing. Find out how much of a rebuild they're talking about first. Just top end and a rebore and that would be a bit rich imo. For a full rebuild (bearings primary and endless cam chain all seals etc.) I think it would be pretty fair.

One other thing. Ask to see in their workshop. I've seen some shockers with engine parts lying around on the floor, blocks with no covers etc. If it's not spotless, don't let them near the job!!

Get a detailed written quote of what they propose to do, then check with a couple of other dealers on the mainland. That's what I'd do anyway. I'd go the whole hog and replace everything to make it a brand new motor! It'd be fantastic after running in carefully and would last another 20+ years.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:29 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How about finding another motor at the breakers yard or crashed or something
instead ?

Old 03-10-2011, 05:39 AM
Welcome Crew

One guy who is a can am dealer used to own the same model bike, he told me the rebuild would include cam chain etc. in that price. He said it was not worth doing a part rebuild only fixing what was broken as no doubt something else would probably crap itself not long afterwards and would only make me angry at him. Neither he or the Honda dealer would give me a firm quote as both said you don't know what you will find wrong until you pull her down. I do not mind spending a motza on it as long as I get a bike that is as smooth as I keep hearing they can be, that is why I would like to know if I should ship it off somewhere. Just to let yous know I spent near $8000 getting my old '81 celica to run properly(yamaha head flo benched by the same mech that done that Stephan the hairdressers off shore race boat & the bottom end rebuilt and blueprinted by the head mech for Winfield Racing back in '92, it used to rev to 7500rpm no worries and oh so smooth. So I was just wondering if anyone in Aus could do such a good job with a bike.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:50 AM

Absolutely!! "We can't give you a price until we get in there" is bull5hit.

Some years ago I rebuilt a 750 four completely. The only bits I didn't pull apart were the gear clusters because the selector forks were good and the gear change was sweet. The cams were ok but everything else was changed. The parts cost me $800.

If you're loaded and money's no problem, good luck to you! Just scan the bike mags for good engine builders.

I'd still ask for a couple of different quotes from worst scenario to best, and if you can't get that out if them they are not on the level...IMO. Going into a workshop with an open cheque book and saying "fix it" just isn't a good plan.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
Hey Dave ... congrats on the 1000 posts mate ...

and yer ...
+1001....

**** no !!! never do that !!
Bloody hell, that's big ar5ed icon smiley thingo!! Thanks Steve, I didn't notice. I noticed the other day that it was getting up there but I guess it's not really that impressive considering I've been a member (of the forum!) since '06...Quality, not quantity?? Haha.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:17 AM
Welcome Crew

Thanks for the comments guys, just to let you know I am not "loaded" I just like anything I own mechanical to be as reliable as I can(I also own a boat so that is where that habit probably stems from) I only paid $1800 for the bike so I don't mind spending a bit to make it as good as I keep hearing they can be. I was working in Mt Isa then Kalgoorlie when I got that old celica done up, young, silly and wads of cash in those days... ah the memories, I wish I had some

Quick Reply: Engine rebuild