CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Easy and Free Tail Tidy kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easy and Free Tail Tidy kit

I got tired of looking at that big chunk O plastic hanging off the back so I broke out the Sawzall and Drill and went to work.

1.Remove seat and rear fairing, Disconnect lighting
2.Break out your sawzall or preferred plastic cutting tool.
-Cut the bottom off right up to the license plate
- If You want to kept your stock turn signals Cut A line that will separate them from the rest of the rear fender If not go ahead and wack em off.
-Cut out all the plastic around the the license plate holder that you can leaving only about a 3 inch wide tab to connect it to the rear fender then cut that off from the the top as well
3. At this point you should just have the plate holder/light on a plastic tab, stick it up into your fender and find where it fits so that the light is just concealed by the rear fender.
Now take your drill and put a couple holes through the rear fairing and the holder you made
4. Stick bolts up through the holder and fender and secure tightly.
5. Drill a 3rd hole off to side for the wiring, reconnect tail light and put your tail fairing back on. And your done! not bad for basically free.

*note-yes this is completely legal for Florida but I cant say anything for other states or countries

Attached Thumbnails Easy and Free Tail Tidy kit-img_20130925_163356.jpg   Easy and Free Tail Tidy kit-img_20130925_163535.jpg  
Old 09-28-2013, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Nice job - it would be illegal in South Australia though. By law we have to have the rear wheel covered at an angle of 45 degrees to the rear - measured from the axle.

They let a lot go, then will have a periodic blitz and book everyone!

Cheers, SB

Old 09-28-2013, 06:13 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm thinking of doing something similar. One advantage of the Mk1 is that I should be able to run the turn signal wires up into the two side tail lights that straddle the main tail/brake light. Then I can retain some sort of functioning rear turn signals

Old 09-29-2013, 01:31 PM

^Thanks SB, sucks they have such strict laws down there, Is it true if you do a burnout your bike can get impounded?
^WD, you cant see them but I actually have 2 little LED strips wired into the the tail light to act as turn signals. Ill prob do a writeup on this part soon

Old 10-07-2013, 08:49 PM

This is mine, modded before I bought, I almost thought stock, drilled holes for the taillights to shine on tag and sealed with clear plastic,

Attached Thumbnails Easy and Free Tail Tidy kit-100_3498.jpg  
Old 10-08-2013, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by AJboughtanothermotorcycle
^Thanks SB, sucks they have such strict laws down there, Is it true if you do a burnout your bike can get impounded?
Yep we have an all incompassing law "hoon Law" which includes burn out, wheelies (ie: mono), drifting, dragging,excessive speed 25k + of the speed limit & dangerous driving ( which can virtually mean anything) cars & bikes are impounded anywhere between 24hrs - 12 months and for repeat offenders you can have your vehicle crushed! no charge for this service
if a wheel is off the ground or breaks traction = hoon law
cheers pete

Old 10-10-2013, 02:11 AM

^Nice bike Tom thats sorta what my tail looked like for a bit before I went all out and whacked off the turn signals, what kind of exhaust do you have?
^chimp Im sorry man that blows, when I had my zx6r I popped a wheelie next to a cop ( I was trying to impress the beautiful young lady who had pulled up next to me on an R6) came up to the stop light I turned to look at her but she was laughing and pointing past me looked over to my other side and the cop yells and points "HEY.....nice wheelie...DO IT AGAIN AND YOUR *** GOES DOWNTOWN!!"".......never did get her #

Old 10-10-2013, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by AJboughtanothermotorcycle
^Nice bike Tom thats sorta what my tail looked like for a bit before I went all out and whacked off the turn signals, what kind of exhaust do you have?
^chimp Im sorry man that blows, when I had my zx6r I popped a wheelie next to a cop ( I was trying to impress the beautiful young lady who had pulled up next to me on an R6) came up to the stop light I turned to look at her but she was laughing and pointing past me looked over to my other side and the cop yells and points "HEY.....nice wheelie...DO IT AGAIN AND YOUR *** GOES DOWNTOWN!!"".......never did get her #
the things we do .... lmao